Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:02 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,980,205 times

Advertisements

Lingerie bag for all those little socks and mittens. Just toss them in as you take them off their feet, throw it in the wash and never lose a sock or mitten.

For EVERY baby shower, I give a check, a lingerie bag (with explanation) and a quick note reminding them to always trust their own instincts about their baby above all others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,863,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Lingerie bag for all those little socks and mittens. Just toss them in as you take them off their feet, throw it in the wash and never lose a sock or mitten.

For EVERY baby shower, I give a check, a lingerie bag (with explanation) and a quick note reminding them to always trust their own instincts about their baby above all others.
Lingerie bag!! This saved so much time, money and frustration. I can't believe I forgot about that. She is 7 and I still use one for her socks. This was the greatest thing ever. We went from constantly having to buy new socks to only buying when she moved up a size. This is a definite must.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,020,391 times
Okay, I now have more time to answer this.

I love target brand diapers....they are dye free in the part that touches the skin. But don't waste money on newborn size. My youngest weighed over nine lb at birth and they never fit. I also love the target wipes in the blue package.

I loved my snap and o stroller....carseat goes into a lightweight metal frame.

Again, loved my boppy lounger which is different from the boppy nursing pillow.

Sleep sacks by halo are great for colder climates...especially the heavy weight ones.

Breathable bumper pad....traditionally crib bedding sets are not safe.

Stroller hooks.....the go on the handle of the stoller and you can hook you shopping bags on them.

Cetaphil lotion.

Johnson's baby products are crap and are under fire for containing known carcinogens. Get Burt's bees or California baby instead.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:07 AM

89,193 posts, read 85,948,204 times
Never heard of a "boppy". Must be something that came on the scene since I had my daughter 20 years ago.

For me, the most useless thing I got was that stupid bouncy seat thing that you hung from above a door that the kid was supposed to like to stand/hang in. She SCREAMED whenever I put her in there. Never used it. Gave it away.

Never had a baby monitor.

Pacifiers were useless. My daughter didn't want that plastic thing stuck in her mouth and I was just as happy she didn't. (Never got used to people calling a pacifier a "binky", either.)

I think the best gift I got was a whole bunch of onesies in different sizes.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:48 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,686,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Never heard of a "boppy". Must be something that came on the scene since I had my daughter 20 years ago.

For me, the most useless thing I got was that stupid bouncy seat thing that you hung from above a door that the kid was supposed to like to stand/hang in. She SCREAMED whenever I put her in there. Never used it. Gave it away.

Never had a baby monitor.

Pacifiers were useless. My daughter didn't want that plastic thing stuck in her mouth and I was just as happy she didn't. (Never got used to people calling a pacifier a "binky", either.)

I think the best gift I got was a whole bunch of onesies in different sizes.
Binky (according to my mom as this was way before my time ) was a brand of pacifier so I guess that people just picked up on calling them all binkys.

That thing that hangs in the door seems very unsafe. I got one as well but took it back and got a stationary jumperoo instead she's still too little to use it but I feel she is going to be safer in it.

I never wanted DD to have a pacifier either but they gave her one in the NICU and said it was to help her develop her sucking skills. Now we cant leave a room without one BUT they said pacifiers reduce the chance of sids so its for the greater good I guess.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:00 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,376,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Binky (according to my mom as this was way before my time ) was a brand of pacifier so I guess that people just picked up on calling them all binkys.

That thing that hangs in the door seems very unsafe. I got one as well but took it back and got a stationary jumperoo instead she's still too little to use it but I feel she is going to be safer in it.

I never wanted DD to have a pacifier either but they gave her one in the NICU and said it was to help her develop her sucking skills. Now we cant leave a room without one BUT they said pacifiers reduce the chance of sids so its for the greater good I guess.
I believe your mom is correct about the term "binky".

Old 12-29-2011, 09:08 AM

89,193 posts, read 85,948,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post

Ah, I didn't know that. I've seen "Binky" on packages in stores, but I didn't realize that was the brand. Didn't look that closely.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 AM

175 posts, read 297,797 times
I've had 7 children, and I can say that these things were must-haves for every one of them:

Pack and Play-INDISPENSIBLE! For 3 of my kids, we didn't even put the crib together, they slept in them all them time cause I could move it wherever I needed it, even to the park or other's houses. Could have it next to my bed during the night and move it during the day...couldn't live without it.

Gas drops/Simethicone drops-Every one of my children were lactose intolerant (70% of the world is intolerant to cow's milk) and on soy milk after the 1st month, but during those months and during the transition between milks, the screaming, fussy, burping, spit-up thing was helped immensely by gas drops. They're like tiny drops of miracle...LOL...

Boudreaux's Butt Paste-Desitin helps protect from diaper rash, but Butt Paste heals it, quickly.

Microwave Bottle sanitizers-They are these little bags about 1 foot square that you put a small amount of water in them and you can sanitize your bottles with steam in the microwave. It takes like one minute and there's no screwing it up or missing any spots. And you reuse them like 40 times each.

"Snot-Sucker" (our term for bulb syringe or aspirator)-lots of things make a baby snotsy, its a necessity.

Onesies - Babies mess on 4 or more outfits a day during certain times, onesies are the "just toss something on them so they aren't naked until I can wash 3 more loads of baby laundry" piece of clothing.

Hissies (our word for pacifiers, because they throw a "hissy fit" without one) - like 4 different kinds, because each baby will have a favorite one, and while some babies will never use one (2 of ours wouldn't touch them) some babies HAVE to have them to feel comforted and in between feedings.

Spare can of ready-to-feed formula (even if you breast-feed!) You never know when something could happen to Mom and on a moment's notice Dad or someone else is left with a baby without something to feed it in the middle of the night. This happens more than you know! Better to be safe and have something on hand then have someone have to take your baby to a store in the middle of the night just to get something you could have had on your shelf.

With the obvious car seat, diapers/wipies, bottles/breast pump (every new mom should get a breast pump, even if she's not breastfeeding, because she'll still need to get some milk out or she'll be engorged sometimes and it'll hurt badly), and baby tylenol, I would say that's it.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,466,764 times
get 2 or 3 snot suckers. one for nursery, one for main room where baby will be and 1 for hiding under the sofa.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:23 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,698,790 times
For us, it was the Boppy, the exersaucer, and the bouncy seat.

Reading all of these responses, however, leads me to believe that the best gift might be a gift card -- that way the parents can by what it is they prefer or need, in the right size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting