Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,828,280 times

Advertisements

I think the second one is adorable, and looks to be pretty functional for kids of the age that -would- sit in a carriage seat.

A couple weeks ago a mom was at our store with her two kids. She had one sitting in the main carriage and the other sitting in the kid-seat section of it. Both of them were standing up, and pushing against the edge of the counter where she was getting copies made (it's a print center).

Her efforts in getting them to sit consisted of "sit down, Johnny. Sit DOWN. I TOLD you to sit DOWN! If you sit down you can have some candy. If you don't sit down you'll be in trouble! If you break your neck don't come whining to me. I SAID sit down! Sit down NOW!"

Without any actual attempt to physically get them to sit, or follow through on ANY of her threats, no consistency whatsoever. The youngest was maybe four years old, the older boy was possibly around 6 or 7, tops. Both were old enough to understand "sit down now."

Talk about ineffective parenting. No wonder the kids wouldn't sit down. I wouldn't have sat down either if my mom was -that- passive-aggressive. Unfortunately, she was so ineffective, that the older boy tipped the cart over, with him and his brother in it. The younger one twisted his leg under the cart trying to get out of it, and the older one bumped his head.

Fortunately, neither of them had any actual damage - the younger one screamed for a few minutes and was walking around just fine once he stood up. The one with the bump on his head ran around the cart until his mother shoved him back in it again, and the process of telling them to sit down started all over.

Assuming, however, that most of the moms here in this forum are more consistent with -how- they address the problem of kids standing up - the only problem remaining is to keep them in a safe position when even consistency doesn't work. But great gravy - that woman was just such a mess, she was all over the place with her "method" of getting her kids to sit. I don't know how she could even _think_ that what she was doing would actually work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 12:26 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,166,868 times
I have seen parents use these in the stores. I can't really say how others should parent their kids regarding this matter because I was completely spoiled with my son. He was a serious people watcher. He had zero desire to run down the aisle or escape the shopping cart. He just loved to watch people. When he did get the desire to not sit in the cart, he simply walked with me. I could take him everywhere!

Now my niece has the most active 3 yr old I have ever met. That kid wants out of the basket and there is no holding her hand or reasoning with her. When you try to set limits, we are talking major meltdown! I watched her for a week and I think it aged me 10 years. lol. Even my son who is now a teenager was like OMG, was I like this? NOOO. One trip to the store was enough. I waited for my husband to get home from work so I could go to the store without her. I would much rather see someone go to the efforts of buying a reliable seat harness than having a kid end up with a skull fracture. Setting limits is a must but some kids take a lot longer than others.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:04 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,404,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think the second one is adorable, and looks to be pretty functional for kids of the age that -would- sit in a carriage seat.

A couple weeks ago a mom was at our store with her two kids. She had one sitting in the main carriage and the other sitting in the kid-seat section of it. Both of them were standing up, and pushing against the edge of the counter where she was getting copies made (it's a print center).

Her efforts in getting them to sit consisted of "sit down, Johnny. Sit DOWN. I TOLD you to sit DOWN! If you sit down you can have some candy. If you don't sit down you'll be in trouble! If you break your neck don't come whining to me. I SAID sit down! Sit down NOW!"

Without any actual attempt to physically get them to sit, or follow through on ANY of her threats, no consistency whatsoever. The youngest was maybe four years old, the older boy was possibly around 6 or 7, tops. Both were old enough to understand "sit down now."

Talk about ineffective parenting. No wonder the kids wouldn't sit down. I wouldn't have sat down either if my mom was -that- passive-aggressive. Unfortunately, she was so ineffective, that the older boy tipped the cart over, with him and his brother in it. The younger one twisted his leg under the cart trying to get out of it, and the older one bumped his head.

Fortunately, neither of them had any actual damage - the younger one screamed for a few minutes and was walking around just fine once he stood up. The one with the bump on his head ran around the cart until his mother shoved him back in it again, and the process of telling them to sit down started all over.

Assuming, however, that most of the moms here in this forum are more consistent with -how- they address the problem of kids standing up - the only problem remaining is to keep them in a safe position when even consistency doesn't work. But great gravy - that woman was just such a mess, she was all over the place with her "method" of getting her kids to sit. I don't know how she could even _think_ that what she was doing would actually work.
Good Lord, that sounds painful to watch, LOL. My daughter is only 18mo - it's pretty hard to make her sit or understand the danger of falling. It's kinda like the harness - I have no intention of using it all the time/everywhere and every intention of teching her to sit or walk with mommy asap but there are times/places where I feel like I need a little help (Costco and the home improvement store)

She's a "climber" - Yesterday, out of no where she comes in the kitchen and scrambles into her high chair from the floor. I had no idea she could do that and it took her all of ten seconds til she was standing in the darn thing!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,933,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
She's a "climber" - Yesterday, out of no where she comes in the kitchen and scrambles into her high chair from the floor. I had no idea she could do that and it took her all of ten seconds til she was standing in the darn thing!
My daughter was actually taught and encouraged to do that at daycare. I was like, REALLY?! Ugh.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 742 times
I have one from the first link - Clearly Custom. Love it! Does the job. I think the problem that some people have is that they don't use them early enough. I give them as shower gifts and tell the moms to start using them as soon as their baby can sit up. You get less resistance from a 3yr old if they have been using something all along. I do the same thing with crib tents. As soon as I lower the mattress to the bottom position I install the tent (8mos old). Then when they are 18 months and can actually physically climb out, the can't!!

Old 03-17-2012, 05:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,583,636 times
Quote:
but does here have a recommendation for a shooping cart harness? Not one of those cushy padded things for babies, but something to keep them seated in the cart.... along the lines of these?

Shopping Cart Safety Harness and Infant Carrier by ClearlyCustom

Jackaboo BabySit Safety Harness

Wrap Strap Shopping Cart Safety Strap - One Step Ahead Baby

My daughter almost took a bad tumble (caught her just in time) when the cart strap buckle just broke (it seemed of when I strapped her in).

Lately, she wants to twist around or stand up in her seat. I've tried keeping her busy (I always bring a toy or book for her) and also keeping her close (I don't walk away from the cart if I can help it).

Looking for serious recommendations... not comments on what a lazy , in-need of an upper body work-out, cruel for leashing my child to a shop ping cart parent I am. Thanks!
I would, highly recommend using something. I have a friend whose daughter fell out of a shopping cart and landed on her head. She's in her 30's now and living in a group home as her parents are no longer able to care for her. I made the mistake of complaining to him about dd and boyfriends and he said "I wish my daughter could have a boyfriend". She was a normal toddler when she took that fall. She's now brain damaged and has about the mental capacity of a 7 year old.

I don't have a recommendation but I hope you find something that works.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,309,922 times
I just about had one fall, way back....so after that, I'd take an old bath robe belt with me, and cinch them in tight....better safe than sorry.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:52 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,211,792 times
Quote:
Good Lord, that sounds painful to watch, LOL. My daughter is only 18mo - it's pretty hard to make her sit or understand the danger of falling. It's kinda like the harness - I have no intention of using it all the time/everywhere and every intention of teching her to sit or walk with mommy asap but there are times/places where I feel like I need a little help (Costco and the home improvement store)

It is a pretty straight forward natural consequence and even highlights how natural consequences are built into keeping your kid safe and scaffolding for their development. Clearly falling out of the cart and beaning on on the head is not safe, so we prevent that. AS SOON AS they can control themselves, they can be without the harness. Until they can keep themselves safe, Mom will see to it. If a child objects to the harness, they have a clear development path to achieve to make it go away.

Easy.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:03 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,230,328 times
To keep your child busy while in the cart always bring a snack, and when walking entering the aisle grab something, and give it to her talking about how great it is, look at this! then at the end of the aisle tell them "all done now we have to put it back." Then the next aisle grab something else and do the same thing, and keep doing it in every aisle. I did this for years, she never got to keep anything and my daughter told me recently that she didn't realize that other kids got to keep the things they were given in the shopping cart.

I had a only a few times when I had to remove her from the cart and take her to the car for a time out. She learned pretty quick that I meant business and wouldn't allow her to act up in the store. I know it's extra time but WELL worth it, work it into the schedule as a teachable moment.

I understand fidgeting, I couldn't keep her in a restaurant till she was 8.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,843,683 times
My friend used these from amazon. It was both the padded seat and harness though since I saw you didn't want the padded seat part. But it kept her monkey of a son in the cart. He was a tad rambunctious and actually fell out of the cart which prompted her to get the harness.

Amazon.com: Carter's 2-In-1 Shopping Cart Cover, Pink: Baby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting