Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,177,703 times

Advertisements

What a great idea! The first and second ones would work best. The third one looks dangerous.

I also agree that it's time to start letting her walk for short periods so she can learn how to be in the store without riding in the cart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:09 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,404,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I've never personally used one, but my advice would be to simply give in and let her out. As counter-intuitive and not-always-possible as that is, once they reach the age where they want out, they tend to be pretty determined to do it. Think about it from their perspective, strapped into a seat in the car, strapped into a stroller or shopping cart, strapped back into the car, etc.

Once ours really started to put up a fight about it, we just started letting them walk with supervision. This did tend to require both of us to be with them while shopping, but it doesn't take long for them to get the idea of staying with you, holding hands or the cart, etc. Also at that age, they do tire out from walking after a little bit and may even want to get back in the cart.

So, as much of a pain in the rear as it would be for a couple months, I would try giving her small doses of being out of the cart when you have extra help while shopping and start acclimating her to walking around. Sometimes we found walking a lap of the store together first and then getting in the cart worked out great.
I do let her out to walk in store when time/safety allows...... but our Costco is a madhouse all the time. Heck - I'm afriad of getting run over there myself sometimes. crazy how people act when there's 2/2 inch square of free pizza on the line!

And my husband like to take her up to the hardware store with him ... He had his wrist fused years ago (a metal bar runs from the top of his hand down his forearm. he has zero mobility) so things like steering the cart are a two hand job for him..

Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,755,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I do let her out to walk in store when time/safety allows...... but our Costco is a madhouse all the time. Heck - I'm afriad of getting run over there myself sometimes. crazy how people act when there's 2/2 inch square of free pizza on the line!

And my husband like to take her up to the hardware store with him ... He had his wrist fused years ago (a metal bar runs from the top of his hand down his forearm. he has zero mobility) so things like steering the cart are a two hand job for him..
Makes sense, I just wanted to throw it out there. I should've added that I don't think you are wrong for wanting to have something to more securely hold her in the cart (and not just that, but I have also noticed a TON of broken shopping cart straps lately as well which makes the whole seat pointless anyway). It is understandable that there are times when it's just not possible or safe to have her walking around.

The point was more or less that it is ultimately a futile effort once they start wanting out. You can strap them in so they can't go anywhere, but that doesn't mean you're going to have an enjoyable experience. At some point you just need to give in and let them out. The sooner you start and the more often you do it, the better.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,387,530 times
The harness looks like a great idea.

In the meantime, you could put your child into one of the "car carts" if your supermarket has them. They are grocery carts with plastic cars attached to the front.

My 21-month-old behaves well in them because she likes being able to "steer" the car and honk the horn. Plus, if she did wiggle out, she'd be just a few inches above the floor as opposed to several feet high in a regular shopping cart. So, there would be less of a chance of injury.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:51 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,143,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
but does here have a recommendation for a shooping cart harness? Not one of those cushy padded things for babies, but something to keep them seated in the cart.... along the lines of these?

Shopping Cart Safety Harness and Infant Carrier by ClearlyCustom

Jackaboo BabySit Safety Harness

Wrap Strap Shopping Cart Safety Strap - One Step Ahead Baby

My daughter almost took a bad tumble (caught her just in time) when the cart strap buckle just broke (it seemed of when I strapped her in).

Lately, she wants to twist around or stand up in her seat. I've tried keeping her busy (I always bring a toy or book for her) and also keeping her close (I don't walk away from the cart if I can help it).

Looking for serious recommendations... not comments on what a lazy , in-need of an upper body work-out, cruel for leashing my child to a shop ping cart parent I am. Thanks!
Do some arm curls. Weigh her down with watertanks or a pumpkin or something.

Just kidding.

Does your grocery store have special "kid carts" that look like cars or spaceships or something?

I found that those, while being a pain to steer (that mess on aisle 7 was NOT my fault), that it gave the kid something to do and the illusion of control.

Mine won't get in the cart seat at all now, she just hangs on the handle with her feet on the bottom and rides along.

You could just get some cheap handcuffs at your local adult toy store.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
special "kid carts" that look like cars or spaceships or something?

I found that those, while being a pain to steer (that mess on aisle 7 was NOT my fault), that it gave the kid something to do and the illusion of control.
Those are just beginning to hit my area. Personally, I think they're pretty dang cool, aside from the whole aisle 7 thing, but I have a question:

What happens when the store only has two or three? Are fights breaking out among parents? Among kids? I can see where I might have arm wrestled another mom for the last one.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,507,492 times
In my experience the child that needs the harness is best at escaping them

Everyone's joking about putting a watermelon on her lap but in all seriousness I used to put big apple juice containers on either side of my son and tell him his job was to guard the juice. The containers didn't squish him but he could pull his leg up either. Every once in a while I would pretend to try to steal the juice...kept him entertained.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,855,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
In my experience the child that needs the harness is best at escaping them

Everyone's joking about putting a watermelon on her lap but in all seriousness I used to put big apple juice containers on either side of my son and tell him his job was to guard the juice. The containers didn't squish him but he could pull his leg up either. Every once in a while I would pretend to try to steal the juice...kept him entertained.
I agree with this too. I gave DD a "job" to do while we were shopping. Sometimes I handed her everything to drop into the cart behind her (besides the eggs and the glass jar of pickles of course). Other times I put her in charge of protecting the bread to make sure it didn't get squished. She always loved having a job to do while we were at the store and really felt like she was helping Mommy.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,143,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Those are just beginning to hit my area. Personally, I think they're pretty dang cool, aside from the whole aisle 7 thing, but I have a question:

What happens when the store only has two or three? Are fights breaking out among parents? Among kids? I can see where I might have arm wrestled another mom for the last one.
I've not witnessed that in my town, but people tend to be more polite than the national average where I live.

My local Publix has 8-10 of them and I can usually find one, but I try to make sure I shop at off-peak hours, because it drives me nuts to have to shop when the store is full of people who don't usually do the shopping and have no clue about cart etiquette, or which damn can of beans to buy.

They really are a pain to steer though.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,177,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Won't ever happen. They've been in my area for decades. (Pittsburgh is a popular product test market area.) Most parents don't use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
They really are a pain to steer though.
That's why so many people don't like them. On top of them being big and hogging up isle space, parents can't steer them.

They really slow down other shoppers by getting in the way. While they are great for kids, I can understand why others hate them so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting