Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:21 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,744,052 times

Advertisements

Ok, first off, what is the need for two kids, aged 10 and 12, to be on Facebook. Somebody please tell me this isn't the new norm among the Dads and Moms

I was catching a glimpse of my ex-boss's status messages. She posts something and shortly below there's this - "Boss's Son 's this"

So she was online. I im'ed her and we caught up on old times. I told her I'm surprised her son has become so smart to use Facebook at such a young age. Not a compliment, but if I were honest, mommy will shred me to pieces, and I need her for future references

She said, "Oh no, I posted it myself."

So she manages the account of her son. Well, it's actually a diligent thing to do. It appears she also lets the son use his own account under her supervision, and then there are times she posts some comments herself. So, I'm able to gather from what she said she is competing with the moms of other sons and their facebook pages.

Seriously??? Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 02:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,568,031 times
My kids have accounts (they're 13 and 16 and have had them for over a year). I require that I have the password. I also use a software program that enables me to set times and time limits on internet usage and will record keystrokes.

Facebook is how my kids and I know what's going on. Their friends all post on facebook.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:35 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,744,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My kids have accounts (they're 13 and 16 and have had them for over a year). I require that I have the password. I also use a software program that enables me to set times and time limits on internet usage and will record keystrokes.

Facebook is how my kids and I know what's going on. Their friends all post on facebook.
But do you impersonate the kids when necessary and pretend like the sons posted it?? So that you score one level up with another mom

Old 09-25-2011, 02:46 PM

346 posts, read 507,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
But do you impersonate the kids when necessary and pretend like the sons posted it?? So that you score one level up with another mom
Wow, I can think of 1000 things I could do with my parenting time other than that!

Old 09-25-2011, 04:29 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,236,228 times
My 10 and 12yo have facebook.
Does bebo still exist?
Its so here today gone tomorrow.
I wonder what their kids will be doing to upset the moral norms of their day.

Does anyone really need face book?
Nah.
I am gonna go feed the donkey before hitching him to the plough
or perhaps I should just go huntin with my spear.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:31 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
Isn't the minimum age to have an account 13?

Old 09-25-2011, 04:40 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,854,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Isn't the minimum age to have an account 13?
According to their TOS: You will not use Facebook if you are under 13

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Old 09-25-2011, 05:50 PM

572 posts, read 1,300,285 times
My niece and nephew have/had a facebook page. I removed them as friends after my niece posted on my status that I was a "stupid mother f$*&-er." Then I removed their mother (my SIL) when she grounded my niece (who was 8 at the time) from facebook for three days (whoopee ding dong, if my kid were allowed to have facebook, she would lose that privilege, of course my children are not allowed facebook until they are mature enough to handle having a supervised account-- probably 13-14). Now, my page is 16 and older, if you are under 16, you need not apply.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
I don't see the big deal.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:43 PM

26,763 posts, read 26,869,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
She said, "Oh no, I posted it myself." So she manages the account of her son....she lets her son use his own account and there are times she posts some comments herself. So, I'm able to gather from what she said that she is competing with the moms of other sons and their facebook pages.
I feel sorry for her kids when they become teenagers. Micromanaging your kids when they're little means that kids won't develop the emotional skills they will later need to navigate their own world.

(The older I become, the more I'm thankful that I grew up with parents who didn't know what we were doing every second of our lives.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting