Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:19 AM

452 posts, read 904,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why?
I would not feel comfortable with everyone knowing where I was or where my children are and my schedule. This is personal information and in this day and age I pay for security on my house, private phone numbers, security on my computer, when I did have texting I had to had phone numbers blocked since they charged for texts that I never wanted (if you get a text about weather that company may end up charging you $10.00 a month for this service without you even soliciting it). Most theives and anyone with bad intentions look all day for victims and this is one more device that they can use to pinpoint where you are for home invasion or get passwords to access accounts. FB says they have securities in place but so do the credit card companies and they have had thier servers broken into many times. Call me paranoid but it is just my 2 cents.
PS. Privacy is something that todays society is starting to lack and it is not the kids that I have a problem with it is the irresponsible adults.
The IMO was originally posting because it appears that FB is starting to become another competitive trend to posting and in this day and age my children do not need to be trying to out do other children. I want them to enjoy the internet not feel like they have to one up their friends. (Which they wouldn't by the way but why put it there!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,524,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Because one of those "friends" may not be a very nice person.
And?

If your kid is going out in public anyway they run the risk of running into danger.

Stop worrying. It'll kill ya!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, threads like these make me wonder how my parents were about to supervise me so well without constantly invading my privacy or micromanaging me.
We lived in a small town for 5 years and I lol when I saw this. Privacy is a big issue with me after living there. People looked over our gate into our backyard, make comments about what we did or where went, or the best one: I saw your son/daughter in a creek looking for frogs do you think he/she should hang out there or with them (per one mother: 'not the caliber of person I would want my child to be around'-FYI none of her beezwax-the child was delightful and did not have a stick up her ?-if the mother would have looked more carefully I was right there with them reliving my childhood). I learned to respect my childrens' privacy because of it, I might eaves drop for a second with a friend over but never but in. We have an understanding that if there is something said that they do not understand the children are to come to me with questions about the conversation-kids need to use their judgement. My motto is sometimes it is better not to know what your children are doing all the time, if my parents knew what I did when I was a teenager I might still be living with them or in a convent. LOL

Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 AM

18,314 posts, read 17,219,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And?

If your kid is going out in public anyway they run the risk of running into danger.

Stop worrying. It'll kill ya!
There is always a chance that we can run into dangerous people. That's the risk of living. But even so, I wouldn't want to do anything to increase that risk, either.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,655,728 times
Quote:
So all 1280 "friends" know that your child is at Chipolte with Suzi? I don't know that I would feel comfortable with that, myself.
WHY?? Ok, so the 4 friends that happen to be on Facebook at that exact time she posts that see that she is at Chipolte. If one of them just 'happens" to have some strange vendetta against my DD, jumps in her car, drives over to Chipolte only to find DD gone since she ate her burrito and left, this girl drives back home to find that my DD has now posted that she is at the mall with her friend so the girl jumps in her car, again, drives to the mall, spends 4 hours looking for my DD (since we live by the Mall of America), can't find her, drives home, checks Facebook, finds my DD is home doing homework...yeah, I'm worried about that

Old 09-27-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
There is always a chance that we can run into dangerous people. That's the risk of living. But even so, I wouldn't want to do anything to increase that risk, either.
I don't believe FB increases that risk.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
WHY?? Ok, so the 4 friends that happen to be on Facebook at that exact time she posts that see that she is at Chipolte. If one of them just 'happens" to have some strange vendetta against my DD, jumps in her car, drives over to Chipolte only to find DD gone since she ate her burrito and left, this girl drives back home to find that my DD has now posted that she is at the mall with her friend so the girl jumps in her car, again, drives to the mall, spends 4 hours looking for my DD (since we live by the Mall of America), can't find her, drives home, checks Facebook, finds my DD is home doing homework...yeah, I'm worried about that
LOL Exactly!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 AM

18,314 posts, read 17,219,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
First of all, those "friends" aren't always who they say they are. Secondly, they know which stores your daughter shops in and they even know what car she's driving. Why? Because she's posted all of that on FB

Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
First of all, those "friends" aren't always who they say they are. Secondly, they know which stores your daughter shops in and they even know what car she's driving. Why? Because she's posted all of that on FB
I know several teens. They have anywhere from 500-1000 FB friends. They do know all of those kids. From school, extracurriculars, church, etc.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 AM

I have to jump in on this sorry golfgal, with technology the way it is the children do not need a computer in front of them they can link it to their cell phone and check facebook, the delay is no longer there. We do not need to worry about the children persay it is about the adults.I do not believe this was the intention of the IMO it was about a parent posting for their children to outdo other children's facebook pages. FB was devolped as a social hang out for college age kids I believe it has grown to fast over the years without the right safe guards in place it can help kids but can also destroy them (we have all heard this happen in the news-it is usually not the children as much as the adults also). FB would have a great thing if they would verify the user and put more security safeguards in place. There will be a time and place where my children may go back on it-but we have a school that has its own little system of FB and is on a school server.... I know texting will be coming shortly but for now I am enjoying not having another thing to deal with.
Have a great day ladies and gents!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting