Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 11:34 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,099,310 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one here with average intelligence children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:36 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,466,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
My son is of average intelligence.

ETA: If he was of above average intelligence, he would have made it into the "gifted" (read: advanced) class, right?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM

613 posts, read 996,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
ODS has that wow factor of making very abstract connections about mature ideas and themes. I did have him tested for the gifted class but he didn't get enough points.
That's really too bad. While it's nice teachers have some input into referrals for gifted class, it's too bad they have to hang their hat on that IQ number. FWIW, if your districts gifted program is anything like ours,he's not missing much

Old 09-22-2011, 11:59 AM

613 posts, read 996,496 times
Quote:
No! Lol

Old 09-22-2011, 12:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,953,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
People want labels because labels get accommodations and services.
Yah, that's us. Hoping for a diagnosis partly because it could make it easier to qualify for services. They do say we can still qualify without the label though. I guess we'll see what happens in 6 months.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:09 PM

7,965 posts, read 11,776,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I don't ask "is this true?" per se, but I will ask my child for his or her version of what's true. Because realistically, teachers are human. They cannot always see everything, they do occasionally miss nuances, and there may be things going on that the teacher simply didn't think were germane, but which are. That doesn't mean that I'm discounting the teacher's report, but that I want all the pieces, or at least as many as possible, before I decide how or if I want/need to follow up. (I don't utilize just one media news source, either.) Not to mention the fact that one of my children has an eidetic memory for dialog, which I've found extremely helpful in some situations, like when the fourth grade teacher thought Young Miss Aconite was remiss in not wanting to be BFFs with the kids who were bullying her on a regular basis.
This has always been my approach. My words to my child, "I need for you to tell me exactly what happened." We would then take it from there.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:24 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,645,623 times
I have very normal, average wonderful boys. I don't ask much from teachers. I ask that they keep me informed via phone, email, text (most are acquaintences) or grab me when I'm in the school which is about twice a week. I ask that they respect us as parents and that includes our teachings from home ie. morals, discipline and family time. I ask that they don't "give up" on my child if he is struggling or is having a bad day. I am the first to admit that my children are not perfect nor do I expect them to be. If there is an issue, I would prefer that the teacher contacts us, the parents, to discuss the issue in private to come up with a solution as a team. My biggest request is that teachers treat ALL students the same regardless of ability, background, family status or upbringing. I will listen to all sides before jumping to conclusions and work with the teacher to come to an appropriate course of action. I am one of those "gasp" people who feel that in order to get respect, it must be modeled and taught. I am entrusting you as a teacher with my most loved gift, I will do my best to do whatever is needed of me as a parent as long as the teacher does their best as an educator.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:34 PM

9,550 posts, read 7,141,065 times
Quote:

My daughter, 4 going on 5, is smart as a whip. She is very quick, excels at puzzles, loves to organize. On top of that she is outgoing and funny. She is really "personality plus". All her teachers love her and I have no doubt she will sail through school, making a lot of As and being on the dance team.

BUT I don't think she is "gifted".

My son is funny too. He's cute and is a real sweetheart. But he is not so social. He struggles in school; he is disorganized. He is intense and thinks about things like nuclear design that his cousins, also 8 years old, don't think about. (They still think about Pokemon).

HE is gifted.

Really, if you are the parent of a gifted child, the difference is obvious; just like if you have a child with an LD, that difference is obvious.

The gifted child stands out from the norm.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:44 PM

572 posts, read 1,305,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
My daughter, 4 going on 5, is smart as a whip. She is very quick, excels at puzzles, loves to organize. On top of that she is outgoing and funny. She is really "personality plus". All her teachers love her and I have no doubt she will sail through school, making a lot of As and being on the dance team.

BUT I don't think she is "gifted".

My son is funny too. He's cute and is a real sweetheart. But he is not so social. He struggles in school; he is disorganized. He is intense and thinks about things like nuclear design that his cousins, also 8 years old, don't think about. (They still think about Pokemon).

HE is gifted.

Really, if you are the parent of a gifted child, the difference is obvious; just like if you have a child with an LD, that difference is obvious.

The gifted child stands out from the norm.
It is different. Gifted children are difficult to raise. And my dd does understand concepts beyond memorization. She is labeled as gifted, this is not something, I made up. I am of average-to-above average intelligence. My husband is gifted, as well. It's very common to have one child on the autism spectrum, and another on gifted end of the spectrum.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:52 PM

9,550 posts, read 7,141,065 times
Quote:
Gold star for you. Not the point.

NICE post.

If you wouldn't have a chip on your shoulder the size of Texas, you would realize it IS the point.

Everyone thinks that if you say your child is "gifted" you are bragging, etc.

But Jojo is right. Gifted children are (can be) hard to raise.

Gifted children do not automatically do well in school.

It is much easier to have a child like my daughter who is bright, but still fits the norm of the classroom.

THAT is why I was comparing the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting