Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 05:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,283,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Btw.. I have a very close family member in Western NY who does sub in her child's elementary school and is very open with the fact that the ONLY reason she does it is because it allows her to basically micromanage her children, she said she can keep an eye on who they have lunch with every day,and that last year, she was able to make out her Xmas cards when the kids wre at their "special" ( such as gym)...She has NO interest in really teaching, and if the job was not on her child's school, she would not have taken it.
honestly, so what? At our school the teacher is in the classroom returning e-mails or whatever during "specials" time. The sub obviously doesn't have school e-mail to check. Maybe she wasn't given a specific assignment by the teacher during that time. It's only about 30-40 minutes out of the whole day. I don't see that as a big deal.

Quote:
I don' t think they need to have a degree in education, but I think they need to take some type of certification class of some kind. A person with a degree in some liberal arts classes to me, is really not qualified to be teaching kids over the age of 5.... I also don't think they (subs) should be so free willing to say that it is easy money and that they only do it because the hours are perfect for them. I think there should be some genuine interest in teaching the kids....
Sure, in a perfect world. We don't live in one of those. There will always be people taking a job because they like the money or the hours, or whatever.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,355,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
4) Being an advocate for one's child does not mean being aggressive or belittling teachers. Good grief, gotta love a whole bunch of armchair experts.
I take issue with this.

Everyone was simply sharing their opinions and experiences. Many felt the article was too one-sided and generalized parents in a negative light. It's just as challenging for parents to deal with teachers.

I have many years of experience as a parent dealing with public schools. After putting two children through twelve years of public education, I'm a veteran parent. My experience is relevant.

School systems don't exist in a vacuum. They exist via tax dollars to educate our children.

Just as it's important to understand what teachers go through, it's important to understand what parents go through.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:42 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,407,973 times
I'm an advocate for my children. I have their best interests at heart and in mind when approaching anything related to them.

That said, I will not tell a teacher how to run his or her classroom. If I don't agree with certain rules or disciplines, oh well. It's not my classroom or place to tell a teacher what to do. If my child has broken a rule of which he was aware, then he needs to face the consequences. I'm not sure why this is such an outlandish idea.

Let's step away from the rule thing for a moment. formercalifonian has said several times that she is highly involved and knowledgeable in the areas of test scores, reading levels (Lexile, ATOS) etc. She uses this information to collaborate with the teacher on her children's education. Sounds good, right? Well, I disagree. I think it's not good. These scores and testing are for professional educators' uses at school in a much different environment than home. I don't get the point of knowing my child's Lexile score and then going into the school to "collaborate" with teacher on it. That isn't my job. I think it's really overstepping boundaries.

Go ahead and flame away...

Old 09-10-2011, 05:43 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,810,840 times
Quote:
This is going off subject for a minute but I would like to know how teachers feel about people coming in and doing their jobs (as subs) who are not qualified in the least to be doing so and then they say things like " oh, just get a job at the school, perfect hours and sometimes I don't even have to do anything but hand out assignments all day".
I have a hard time with the fact that really all someone has to do is take a civil service test, go though clearances and have a degree in whatever, to be able to teach our children when a teacher is out.
I then have a hard time hearing them say things like how easy it is,etc... I am not happy that my tax dollars for the public schools allow someone to call themselves a "teacher" when they are not and they are getting paid money for it. If I was a teacher, I would be even more bothered by it.
Subs do not do my job.

Even when I have a sub who is a certified teacher they may not be cert'ed in my field and they do not know what exactly we are covering. Their main job is to keep the class on task with whatever assignment I leave and to make sure the school rules are upheld.

They provide a worthwhile service and get paid a tiny fraction of money for it. In my district a certified teacher gets paid $75 for a day and only gets 30 mins for lunch. That is less than $10 an hour for a person with a bachelor's degree and a background clearance to watch children all day, hardly a ridiculous amount of money.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,312,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Go ahead and flame away...
No BBQ's from me today Magritte. I understand what you are saying and agree with much of it.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:49 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,503,721 times
Hopes, I also live in PA, so I know they do require subs to be certified teachers. I was not referring to my area at all. Only referring to facts I know from family members who live in Western NY who do not need any type of teaching certificate to sub...

Regarding the post I read about what teachers do while their class is at their special... Yes, teachers are probably checking their emails during that time, but I know many,many teachers who use that time for lesson planning and making calls to parents,etc... It is correct of course that a sub does not have this to do but I am almost certain that there are many admi istrative things that can be left for a sub to do while the class is not with them. I am sure that he office or the teacher ( if it wa a planned absence) has plenty of things that could be done, making copies things lime that...
NO WAYshould anyone be able to sit and get paid for making out their Xmas cards! I have a huge issue with that.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm an advocate for my children. I have their best interests at heart and in mind when approaching anything related to them.
Advocate, absolutely! All parents should advocate for their children. No one is asking parents not to do that. It would go against nearly a million years of instinct.

Quote:
That said, I will not tell a teacher how to run his or her classroom. If I don't agree with certain rules or disciplines, oh well. It's not my classroom or place to tell a teacher what to do. If my child has broken a rule of which he was aware, then he needs to face the consequences. I'm not sure why this is such an outlandish idea.
Me either but thank you for the support!

Quote:
Let's step away from the rule thing for a moment. formercalifonian has said several times that she is highly involved and knowledgeable in the areas of test scores, reading levels (Lexile, ATOS) etc. She uses this information to collaborate with the teacher on her children's education. Sounds good, right? Well, I disagree. I think it's not good. These scores and testing are for professional educators' uses at school in a much different environment than home. I don't get the point of knowing my child's Lexile score and then going into the school to "collaborate" with teacher on it. That isn't my job. I think it's really overstepping boundaries.

I tend to agree with you as well based on that old saying, "too many cooks...." My daughter has had great teachers and bad teachers, luckily its been mostly the former, even when she had downright bad (and occasionally just plain old wrong) I still take a back seat. And I am a teacher. She has learned just as much (even if it isn't found on a state test) from the bad teachers, sometimes the most important thing of all, how she can teach herself.

If I was hovering she would never of learned that skill and sooooo many more.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I take issue with this.

Everyone was simply sharing their opinions and experiences. Many felt the article was too one-sided and generalized parents in a negative light. It's just as challenging for parents to deal with teachers.

I have many years of experience as a parent dealing with public schools. After putting two children through twelve years of public education, I'm a veteran parent. My experience is relevant.

School systems don't exist in a vacuum. They exist via tax dollars to educate our children.

Just as it's important to understand what teachers go through, it's important to understand what parents go through.
I have issue with this "It's just as challenging for parents to deal with teachers. "

Parent's are dealing with maybe 8 teachers a year, teachers are dealing with upwards of 200+ parents a year. Its REALLY not the same thing at all.

Second, your personal experience with your child IS relevant but it does not replace decades of research, decades of personal experience teaching, years of professional training, graduate degrees in one's field or the dictates of administrators and the state.

Teachers do value a parent's opinion but it is ONLY their opinion. Sometimes it is well educated but frequently it is impossible for parents to separate their emotions from the most emotional of subjects, their children. When someone is as emotional about something as parents should be about their children it means that their opinions are frequently not objective. That is a fact.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,355,208 times
Quote:
NO WAYshould anyone be able to sit and get paid for making out their Xmas cards! I have a huge issue with that.
That doesn't bother me. It's becoming very common for people in many professions to blend their personal and work lives. I've done personal stuff at work and I've brought work home. The lines are becoming blured in many professions, especially white collar professions. If we want to treat teachers are professionals, we shouldn't take issue with how they manage their work/life balance. And just because a sub isn't as educated, doesn't make it any more valid to judge. If anything, certain low paying, mundane jobs have a lot of downtime. It often creates more work for professionals to find busy work for such workers when it's easier to simply pay them a low wage and let them read a book---or write out Christmas cards. If anything, it sounds like you just don't like your SIL and it bugs you that she's got an easy mommy gig that works with her children's school schedule.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:06 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,407,973 times
Quote:
Hopes, I also live in PA, so I know they do require subs to be certified teachers. I was not referring to my area at all. Only referring to facts I know from family members who live in Western NY who do not need any type of teaching certificate to sub...

Regarding the post I read about what teachers do while their class is at their special... Yes, teachers are probably checking their emails during that time, but I know many,many teachers who use that time for lesson planning and making calls to parents,etc... It is correct of course that a sub does not have this to do but I am almost certain that there are many admi istrative things that can be left for a sub to do while the class is not with them. I am sure that he office or the teacher ( if it wa a planned absence) has plenty of things that could be done, making copies things lime that...
What if they have a paid lunch and breaks? Technically, they are being paid for that time.

I don't have an issue with someone doing personal things while their students are out on specials. It's not a blip on my parental radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting