Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 03:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah. If I were a college student, I would have dealt with that myself. My parents never had to fight my battles in college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I didn't get that either. A college student was unable to address this and have it fixed?
He was a high school student. He attended college full time for 11th and 12 grade. This happened his first term. He was 16 at the time.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:33 PM

45,457 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
He was a high school student. He attended college full time for 11th and 12 grade. This happened his first term. He was 16 at the time.

I'll take back my picture then. If you'd mentioned that earlier I missed it.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:37 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,333,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I got the impression that you believe my interest in and use of testing information to collaborate with my children's teachers is a bad thing. Was I wrong?

edit: On second thought, never mind. As I wrote in one of my first posts to this thread, it doesn't matter what you do, somebody will always find fault with it.
Wrong? Probably not. You are acting in your children's best interest. I just find it woefully unnecessary.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:53 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,495,256 times
This is going off subject for a minute but I would like to know how teachers feel about people coming in and doing their jobs (as subs) who are not qualified in the least to be doing so and then they say things like " oh, just get a job at the school, perfect hours and sometimes I don't even have to do anything but hand out assignments all day".
I have a hard time with the fact that really all someone has to do is take a civil service test, go though clearances and have a degree in whatever, to be able to teach our children when a teacher is out.
I then have a hard time hearing them say things like how easy it is,etc... I am not happy that my tax dollars for the public schools allow someone to call themselves a "teacher" when they are not and they are getting paid money for it. If I was a teacher, I would be even more bothered by it.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
This is going off subject for a minute but I would like to know how teachers feel about people coming in and doing their jobs (as subs) who are not qualified in the least to be doing so and then they say things like " oh, just get a job at the school, perfect hours and sometimes I don't even have to do anything but hand out assignments all day".
I have a hard time with the fact that really all someone has to do is take a civil service test, go though clearances and have a degree in whatever, to be able to teach our children when a teacher is out.
I then have a hard time hearing them say things like how easy it is,etc... I am not happy that my tax dollars for the public schools allow someone to call themselves a "teacher" when they are not and they are getting paid money for it. If I was a teacher, I would be even more bothered by it.
Well, what do you think they should have to do? Be a fully qualified teacher? Why would someone want to complete the same qualifications as a teacher, but settle for being a sub?

Old 09-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Btw.. I have a very close family member in Western NY who does sub in her child's elementary school and is very open with the fact that the ONLY reason she does it is because it allows her to basically micromanage her children, she said she can keep an eye on who they have lunch with every day,and that last year, she was able to make out her Xmas cards when the kids wre at their "special" ( such as gym)...She has NO interest in really teaching, and if the job was not on her child's school, she would not have taken it.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't choose books for my son based on ATOS, Lexile or anything else. HE chooses them based on what HE wants to read about. Some weeks it will be learning about trains, others it will be a Diary of a Wimpy Kid book, other times he gets books about history. He does very well in school.
Sounds like my house.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Where do you live, NYMD67? In my state, substitutes have the exact same education and certifications as full time teachers. Emergency certification is possible but a school district has to apply for that. Since there are plenty of properly educated and certified unemployed teachers in my state, there would be no reason for a school district to seek emergency certification for a substitute.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Well, what do you think they should have to do? Be a fully qualified teacher? Why would someone want to complete the same qualifications as a teacher, but settle for being a sub?
I don' t think they need to have a degree in education, but I think they need to take some type of certification class of some kind. A person with a degree in some liberal arts classes to me, is really not qualified to be teaching kids over the age of 5.... I also don't think they (subs) should be so free willing to say that it is easy money and that they only do it because the hours are perfect for them. I think there should be some genuine interest in teaching the kids....

Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Where do you live, NYMD67? In my state, substitutes have the exact same education and certifications as full time teachers. Emergency certification is possible but a school district has to apply for that. Since there are plenty of properly educated and certified unemployed teachers in my state, there would be no reason for a school district to seek emergency certification for a substitute.
I am not speaking about my state or district, I have a close family member who subs in NY and these are all things she says to me and to others. Our district DOES require you to have a degree in Education or similar in order to sub.... I am always bothered when she says that it is easy money,etc... Because I k ow I would not like having someone like that teach my children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting