Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,157,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So.....

You ever stick up for the little guy at the bottom of the pile in these "antics" or is that not mano-a-mano enough? Because, sorry, but in my book a "real" man looks out for that kid.
What adult wouldn't break it up, if they came upon it? I clearly said it wasn't appropriate but the punishment is far to severe. Don't give me the "real man" bit buttercup because at a younger age than these two, both my parents we're already dead and I was fending for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,471,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
at a younger age than these two, both my parents we're already dead and I was fending for myself.
Then you should know better than anyone how important it is to defend the defenseless. (I'll ignore the "buttercup" out of deference to our Fearless Moderator, because I am thankfully lacking in testosterone and because I have the feeling that Mattie is right and this thread has no place to go but South.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-04-2012 at 09:25 PM..

Old 08-04-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Are you, seriously, justifying what they did because someone else out there might do worse?

This is sick. Yes, there are victims here and it is traumatizing. It's an act of dominance that is intended to humiliate (do you seriously think having someone's ass and genitals rubbed in your face against your will is not humiliating)

How would you feel if some 14 year old boys held down your wife or your 12 year old daughter and did this to them. Would you be so forgiving?
Listen we can sit here and twist what if's or change characters all day long. This was two 14 year old boys, boys will be boys, they do gross things sometimes. At one point in time the U.S. led the world in juvenile justice, and acknowledging kids are kids, and deserve a chance to become contributing adults, no matter what they do. Now, we're trying to convince people, that a 14 year old kid, that can't buy spray paint legally, can do something so premeditated, so knowingly,and with such adult awareness that he pays for it the rest of his life. That's a step backwards.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Then you should know better than anyone how important it is to defend the defenseless. (I'll ignore the "buttercup" out of deference to our Fearless Moderator, because I am thankfully lacking in testosterone and because I have the feeling that Mattie is right and this thread has no place to go but South.)
I'm not arguing that, any reasonable adult would have stopped it. That's a given. The court's punishment is too extreme. They're kids, kids that can't vote, can't enter into contracts,can't quit school, can't go to a PG-17 movie, they don't pay taxes but yet we're going treat and punish them like adults? You don't see a problem with that? The emphasis should be on teaching them and correcting them, not branding them the rest of their lives.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:03 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,149,752 times
Quote:
You are justifying forcing someone down and shoving genitals in their faces by saying the victim isn't innocent. The same kind of crap is said about girls who get raped. I am simply pointing out you are doing the same thing. You are blaming the victim as if they asked for it.

Seriously, WHAT if anything could someone do to deserve this?
Nope, you're saying that I'm saying that. Nowhere have I justified the actions of the older boys. I posted the article as background as to how things happened. It was not two older boys grabbing two younger boys for kicks. It was a situation that escalated out of control.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:40 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,563,238 times
Quote:
But it should follow them. We KNOW that kids who will assault other kids grow up to be adults who will assault kids or other adults. There is a correlation between violence as a teen and violence as an adult.
Look at Nostradamus here...maybe you ought to figure out that a "correlation" is merely a statistical average and says nothing at all about a specific person.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,990,088 times
While some may see this as going "too far"... what don't we know? Is this escalating behavior on the part of the two bullies? Is the neighborhood going to be safer now that these creeps have been identified?

Good for this community for taking a stance against bullies! Punishment is not only supposed to affect the punished, but it is also supposed to serve as a deterrent to others. How many other 12 year old boys will be demeaned this way in this neighborhood? Probably none.

Would it be okay if your next door neighbor and his brother did this to you and your friend? Of course not. You'd be SCREAMING for their arrest. But since it didn't happen to you or your child, it's okay.

Who's the real sicko?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Would it be okay if your next door neighbor and his brother did this to you and your friend? Of course not. You'd be SCREAMING for their arrest. But since it didn't happen to you or your child, it's okay.
The issue is not the "arrest" but their (permanent!) designation as "sex offenders".

The sex offender registration system is a bad idea for adults, and an even worse idea for 14-year-olds.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
While some may see this as going "too far"... what don't we know? Is this escalating behavior on the part of the two bullies? Is the neighborhood going to be safer now that these creeps have been identified?

Good for this community for taking a stance against bullies! Punishment is not only supposed to affect the punished, but it is also supposed to serve as a deterrent to others. How many other 12 year old boys will be demeaned this way in this neighborhood? Probably none.

Who's the real sicko?
I've had something almost as equally detestable occur to my son on a school bus. Another kid spit in my kids face. Of course my kid retaliated and struck the spitter. I was very angry and upon discussing the incident with the Asst. principle and the campus deputy, I reminded them both that in my state it is a crime. The officer asked if I would like to press charges. I declined but was adamant that the kid be severely punished. The kid got a 10 day bus suspension, mine got 3. It turned out to be an incredible burden on the spitter's mom as she was raising her son without the boy's father around. There were no more problems the remainder of the school year. Kid's need to learn from their mistakes and get put back on the right path and that doesn't always have to mean juvenile incarceration or lifetime shame.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Punishment is not only supposed to affect the punished, but it is also supposed to serve as a deterrent to others.
If that is the purpose of punishment, what would keep authorities from punishing an innocent person for an offense, as long as the intended "audience" could be led to believe he was guilty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting