Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 07:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,126,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Don't suppose you can tell us who runs that web site? I clicked on "About the Author" and there was NO NAME.
I looked it up on whois.net

I suggest that anyone who wants to can find out, but I can understand why he might want to be anonymous given that he probably is not yet tenured at his university.

If you want the info, go to whois.net and enter the url. It gives the admin name, address and you can plug his name into google and get his University page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:36 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,556,358 times
Quote:
Don't suppose you can tell us who runs that web site? I clicked on "About the Author" and there was NO NAME.
Geoff Birky runs the site, last I knew.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 AM

17,183 posts, read 23,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That's the name I got off whois as well. He's a math prof.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,684,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
"Horseplay" does not involve holding someone down, and abusing them. The actions of those boys was extremely anti-social, with no empathy for other people. This could have easily escalated into something even worse. Those kids need some major therapy, and treatment. Labeling them as Sex Offenders will hopefully get those kids the treatment that they desperately need. Giving them a hand slap, would have been outrageous to the victim, and not helped the boys, or their families realize the gravity of the actions that their sons did. My only hope, is that they don't continue to discount the activity as "horseplay" and blame the victim or system. That won't help their kids get better.
I agree with the egregiousness of their offense; I don't believe labeling them sex offenders for life serves anyone. They could have been ordered into therapy and some suitable punishment meted out without slapping that label on them. There's a lot of room for appropriate actions between a hand slap & having this incident follow them for the rest of their lives.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,462,541 times
Quote:
Thank you.

I'm old school. If you're going to put it out there and you want it to serve a purpose sign your name. I saw that and thought, "Yawn, another anonymous guy on the internet I may or may not pay attention to." If I have time I'll do a little digging and try and find out why a math prof has put that site together. Unless you can tell me and save me 30 minutes.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I'm old school. If you're going to put it out there and you want it to serve a purpose sign your name. I saw that and thought, "Yawn, another anonymous guy on the internet I may or may not pay attention to." If I have time I'll do a little digging and try and find out why a math prof has put that site together. Unless you can tell me and save me 30 minutes.
I believe he knew of some egregious cases of children being prosecuted or psychiatrically abused, and decided they needed some publicity. I exchanged a few e-mails with him about 6-7 years ago, and sent links to the site to everyone in the Michigan legislature.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,462,541 times
Quote:
I believe he knew of some egregious cases of children being prosecuted or psychiatrically abused, and decided they needed some publicity. I exchanged a few e-mails with him about 6-7 years ago, and sent links to the site to everyone in the Michigan legislature.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Were I him I'd sign my name. Or at least explain a little about the organization and his reasons for starting the site. Right now people like me (meaning suspicious) look at that and wonder what his agenda is.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 AM

3,487 posts, read 4,589,791 times
Quote:
How would you feel if someone did this to your 12 year old? Against his wishes?

I think "sex offender" goes too far but just because a lot of stupid kids do it doesn't mean it's acceptable. And as far as "sibling prank" goes: I raised 3 sons. If I had seen them try this on one another I'd have blown a fuse. One of our rules was you respect your brother because he is a human being. You do nothing to degrade your brother. You do nothing to degrade any human being because that takes YOU down a few notches.
People are not saying it is right. They are saying it is going to far as far as punishment or discipline.
I was bullied to some point in my life when I was a child. Did I like it when it happened, no it did not. Do I encourage it, no also. However, it is important to teach respect to others but growing up is part of life and many many kids do do some immature things as they play with each other, find their place in the totem pole, etc.

I believe we have become such a controlling society and very overprotecive. We have also indoctrinated our kids to become such wimps. Many of us grew up experiencing such things and are not traumatized by it. Now, do not spin this as I am saying bullying is right. There is a difference between bullying and simply immature stuff going on between kids, take care.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Were I him I'd sign my name. Or at least explain a little about the organization and his reasons for starting the site. Right now people like me (meaning suspicious) look at that and wonder what his agenda is.
I think his agenda is pretty plain: to publicize outrageous cases of the abuse of minors within the legal system, in view toward effecting reform of the system. I think that's an excellent agenda to have.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:32 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,408,815 times
It is easy to see how harsh this sentence is when it is not ur child that was violated and traumatized. Even though these boys are just 14 years old they have the capacity to comprehend right from wrong. They knew they were doing something wrong and they did it anyway. Granted they may not have known or understood the severity of the consequences, but that is not sufficient enough to exempt them from the law. It must have taken a great deal of force to physically restrain the victim and position his face just so... all he could do was endure the other kid sitting his naked, unwashed arse in his face. It may not have been rape, but it was close enough... I bet the victims or their parents didn't think it was mere "horseplay" or "just fun." I know if my child suffered this type trauma at the hands of bullies I would be outraged. I would be out for blood... plus some more. I am not with out sympathy for the 14 year olds or their parents. However, who knows the extent of psychological damage and hardships the victims and their families may have to suffer for the rest of their lives. If the victims had to suffer humiliation then it is just for the perpetrators to be suffer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting