Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 04:33 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,751,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Evanston and Oak Park are nice towns, but again, they aren't cheap. I love Naperville and don't live too far from it (Plainfield area). Obviously Plainfield isn't very walkable and is about as suburban as it gets, but we chose it because it was important to DH and I for me to stay home while the kids are little and we wanted to live some place where we could afford a house on DH's salary alone. (And we bought before the housing crash while prices were sky high.) I love going to downtown Naperville though, its a great place.
I think the cost issue is a major one. Lots of families would prefer to live in either the city or an urban suburb; the problem is, many of the safe, desirable ones, especially those with decent public schools, tend to come with a premium price tag.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,938,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think the cost issue is a major one. Lots of families would prefer to live in either the city or an urban suburb; the problem is, many of the safe, desirable ones, especially those with decent public schools, tend to come with a premium price tag.
True these suburbs are not cheap. When we bought our house, way back in the 70s, it was not cheap. The difference in price was the price of a second car, so... we had only one car and used the very good public transportation, walking and biking (with bike seats). I think it really does depend on what you want and what you are willing to give up.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
True these suburbs are not cheap. When we bought our house, way back in the 70s, it was not cheap. The difference in price was the price of a second car, so... we had only one car and used the very good public transportation, walking and biking (with bike seats). I think it really does depend on what you want and what you are willing to give up.
Yes, I definitely agree with this. We're willing to give up space, a car, and home ownership to live first in San Francisco, and (soon) in New York City. Some people can afford to live anywhere and not worry about making potentially difficult trade-offs, others have so little that they also can't afford to have choices, but most of us fall somewhere in the middle, and do the best we can to match budget with wish list.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:53 PM

859 posts, read 2,830,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSt.Claire View Post
I'm really curious about this.
What’s wrong with raising their kids in the city? Is it really so bad to raise children in an urban environment?
What can they really do in the ‘burbs that they can’t do in a city?

The burbs is a more family friendly environment. Less congestion, traffic, noise and a whole lot less to worry about. I grew up in Chicago until I was about 12 then moved to the burbs. Even then I knew it was the right decision.

It's really not about what you can do vs can't do. It more about avoiding potential problems.

We live 20 mins form the city limits. My shop is 10 mins for the city limits yet I can' tell you the last time I was in Chicago... Everyone that I have every known say they llove the city life, so much to do, so much to see etc etc...That is until they spend a coupe of nights out at my place in the burbs.

They all react the same way. I'll find them sitting on the deck or in the driveway with a drink in the middle of the night. I ask what they;''e doing and they all say the same thing.. It's so quite and peaceful. Can't do this in th city...

Next thing I know their house is up for sale and they're living down the street from me.. If I never set foot in another major city it would be perfectly fine with me... Wouldn't miss it a bit.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:36 PM

346 posts, read 507,832 times
Default Do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSt.Claire View Post
I'm really curious about this.
What’s wrong with raising their kids in the city? Is it really so bad to raise children in an urban environment?
What can they really do in the ‘burbs that they can’t do in a city?
Most affordable homes are in the burbs

Old 06-03-2011, 05:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I don't think you can generalize, it really depends on the city.
I think you can generalize. It doesn't really depend on the city.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
no, I raised 3 boys in a very urban city like area.
no problems, all are college graduates.
Therefore, there is no difference whatsoever between raising kids in a city and raising them in the suburbs.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I find suburbs boring. The houses tend to look the same, with the same little spindly trees, and the people blend in. I do love the idea of a yard, a nice school, and a safe neighborhood, but I just can't see myself in a suburb. Just not me. I like the idea of a city where everything you need is no more than a couple blocks away, where there's people to see and things to do. As long as I could find a reasonably safe place with decent schools, give me a city any day.

I find cities boring. The power lines and billboards and homeless and graffiti and trash tend to look the same with cops and thugs and illegal aliens and non stop noise and delivery trucks at 4AM and parking lot lights and sirens and diesel buses and drunks urinating in the bushes all blend in. I like the idea of a suburb where everything you need is no than a couple blocks away and there are things to see and things to do. As long as I could find a reasonably safe place with decent schools, give me a suburb any day.

FEAR: I Love Living in the City

My house smells just like a zoo
It's chock full of **** and puke
Cockroaches on the walls
Grass growing on my balls
oh well im so clean cut
and I just want to **** some ****

I love living in the city

Ive spent my whole life in the city
where junk is king and the air smells ****y
people puking everywhere
piles of blood, scabs, and hair
bodies wasted and disease
young people dieing on the streets
but the suburban scumbags they don't care
they just get fat and die their hair

Last edited by Charles; 06-03-2011 at 06:52 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
The burbs is a more family friendly environment. Less congestion, traffic, noise and a whole lot less to worry about. I grew up in Chicago until I was about 12 then moved to the burbs. Even then I knew it was the right decision.

It's really not about what you can do vs can't do. It more about avoiding potential problems.

We live 20 mins form the city limits. My shop is 10 mins for the city limits yet I can' tell you the last time I was in Chicago... Everyone that I have every known say they llove the city life, so much to do, so much to see etc etc...That is until they spend a coupe of nights out at my place in the burbs.

They all react the same way. I'll find them sitting on the deck or in the driveway with a drink in the middle of the night. I ask what they;''e doing and they all say the same thing.. It's so quite and peaceful. Can't do this in th city...

Next thing I know their house is up for sale and they're living down the street from me.. If I never set foot in another major city it would be perfectly fine with me... Wouldn't miss it a bit.
I think most people who live in the city have probably spent time in a suburb. There are some suburbs I like, but overall the suburbs are not for me. That said, I enjoy visiting small towns or the country, or even quieter suburban neighborhoods, but I wouldn't want to live there. I think that's probably true of many people. (and vice-versa; lots of people out there who enjoy visiting a major city, but prefer not to live there) In any case, I doubt that the decision, for most people, or at least those who can truly afford the option, is made out of lack of knowledge or experience, but rather is an actual choice.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:52 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,489,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I find cities boring. The power lines and billboards and homeless and grafiti and trash tend to look the same with cops and thugs and illegal aliens and non stop noise and delivery trucks at 4AM and parking lot lights and sirens and diesel buses and drunks urinating in the bushes all blend in. I like the idea of a suburb where everything you need is no than a couple blocks away and there are things to see and things to do. As long as I could find a reasonably safe place with decent schools, give me a suburb any day.
Cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting