Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 PM

170 posts, read 399,775 times

Advertisements

I guess this is the cultural divide. I came from an Asian family that immigrated here to the US. I was raised in an environment where any form disrespect will not be tolerated and will result in the child being spanked. I grew up in this environment and I turned out just fine. I ended up going to college and getting my degree.

I'm astonished at how many people here lambaste others for disciplining their children in a corporal way but I guess this is due in part to cultural differences.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,316,800 times
I don't think culture plays into it at all.....maybe the ones who are doing the "lambasting" were the kid getting "spanked" at one time, and they learned then that THEY would never do it.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,423,021 times
I never understood spanking kids. Who wants to hear all that crying? And how could you hit a little person who looks just like you or someone you love? My kids all have huge blue eyes, and my daughter looks like a ""mini-me", now how could I EVER spank her?!

My middle son, Mr. ADHD, cyclone mini monster child from Hell, put on this Earth to torment me...I would have probably gladly spanked him, but never did it, because when he got me to the point of wanting to spank him, I needed a time out. To chill my temper. Then, I was able to deal with him rationally, so no spanking needed. And he is a fine young man now.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM

170 posts, read 399,775 times
UC Berkeley study finds no lasting harm among adolescents from moderate spanking earlier in childhood
08.24.2001 - UC Berkeley study finds no lasting harm among adolescents from moderate spanking earlier in childhood

Spanking makes kids perform better in school, helps them become more successful: study
Spanking makes kids perform better in school, helps them become more successful: study - New York Daily News (http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-01-04/entertainment/17945428_1_parents-child-kids - broken link)

But for every one of these studies I can find another that shows spanking to be detrimental. My point is, there's no concrete evidence that spanking is problematic to the child. Spanking may work for some parents, it may not work for others. It is the parents' own prerogative to utilize spanking and in my case it works.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:13 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,809,381 times
If a spanking, or "beating" as so nicely put , is the most effective way to discipline why do your kids act up a second time?

The pro-beaters always say that is the way to do it but they seem to always have to repeat the process just as the non-beaters do. So it seems the end result is still the same except for poor little Timmy with the bruise on his butt.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:46 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,485,062 times
I just don't get why this broad allowed a guy to 1. move in with her when she has a child and 2. allows this guy to "take over" the "discipline". She sounds like a lazy person who just happened to pop out a child and wants everyone else to take care of it. As for the OP, keep on abusing this child. You'll end up in prison, the child will end up in Foster Care, and your wife will end up with some other guy (and probably pop out a few more kids)

Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,202,035 times
as Dr. Phil would say "Hows's that working for ya?"

Obviously it isn't working. Kids are going to misbehave and as parents we need to learn better way to deal with it. I'm all for discipline, in fact i deplore the lack of discipline in most families these days. But discipline and spanking are not the same thing. It takes a intelligent, patient person to be able to avoid the knee-jerk reaction to spank. It also takes an educated parent. I think OP need exposure to other methods than what he perceives to be the only way in his family and environment.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,590,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
I guess this is the cultural divide. I came from an Asian family that immigrated here to the US. I was raised in an environment where any form disrespect will not be tolerated and will result in the child being spanked. I grew up in this environment and I turned out just fine. I ended up going to college and getting my degree.

I'm astonished at how many people here lambaste others for disciplining their children in a corporal way but I guess this is due in part to cultural differences.
There are a lot of posters here from other cultures. There are also a lot of other posters here that were spanked as children. Thankfully most parents don't fall into the trap of merely repeating their own parent's parenting styles, but they give some thought to how they themselves want to parent and go from there. Just because it was done in the past, does not make it right or desirable.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,690,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post

I am not sure it's necessarily related to culture. I was beaten as a child and I "turned out just fine" too. I also ended up going to college and getting a couple of degrees. (BTW, is getting a college degree the measure of normalcy, emotional / mental health, the ability to sustain healthy enduring fulfilling relationships?). There are also kids who "turn out just fine" who were molested, drug exposed, and otherwise traumatized. Does that mean those behaviors are permissible too?

Discipline = teaching. What does spanking teach a child? If you do something "wrong" you will be hit. That does not sound like the way to instill anything of value.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,275,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAdad View Post
Im glad my parents raised me the way i was raised. I love them more and more everyday. I did wrong, i got my ass beat. I am an awesome dad, and he is my son. We do everything together CHURCH, hunt, fish, camp, cut grass. More that most to with their son. I am sorry about the very light sand color bruise i left on his butt the size of a dime, but he will continue getting spankings. I thought I could get some advise but seems like we have some obama dumbasses on here where everything is political instead of necessary.
I think this shows quite a high level of ignorance - to equate people who support the President with "politically correct" anti-spankers. I know plenty of people who believe any form of spanking is abuse, and seem to be afraid to touch/control their children in any manner. Those are the kids I see who are horrible, throwing tantrums at age 5, hitting their parents, etc.

Spanking is a tool that works for many people, and is legal as long as you don't leave marks/bruises. That's when it crosses the line into abuse, and you could be arrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.