Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
UC Berkeley study finds no lasting harm among adolescents from moderate spanking earlier in childhood
08.24.2001 - UC Berkeley study finds no lasting harm among adolescents from moderate spanking earlier in childhood
Here's one counter study. The above is from 2001. The one below is from 2006.

Spanking May Cause Long-Term Harm - CBS News

Quote:
The psychologist found links between spanking and 10 negative behaviors or experiences, including aggression, anti-social behavior and mental health problems. The one positive result of spanking that she identified was quick compliance with parental demands.
Quote:
Spanking makes kids perform better in school, helps them become more successful: study
Spanking makes kids perform better in school, helps them become more successful: study - New York Daily News (http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-01-04/entertainment/17945428_1_parents-child-kids - broken link)
Here's another counter to the above claim. This study was in 2009. The above study was from 2010 and note that it talks about children who were spanked before age 6 and says that children spanked after that age often had behavioral problems (which I suspect would not correlate to doing well in school).

Spanking lowers a child's IQ, researcher says | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

Quote:
The relationship between spanking and intelligence is found in children around the world, said the lead author of the study, University of New Hampshire professor Murray Straus. Children in the United States who were spanked had lower IQs -- by 2.8 to 5 points -- than those who were not spanked, Straus found.
Note that spanking older children is even MORE correlated with lower IQs.

Quote:
But for every one of these studies I can find another that shows spanking to be detrimental. My point is, there's no concrete evidence that spanking is problematic to the child. Spanking may work for some parents, it may not work for others. It is the parents' own prerogative to utilize spanking and in my case it works.
You can find studies to support most anything in psychology or social science, but in order to really compare them you have to read the whole study and compare methodology, etc.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:52 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Round and round we go!

If you don't spank your kids they will probably turn out fine.

If you do spank your kids they will probably turn out fine.

We all parent differently but our way isn't the right way it's just the way that works for our families.

To the OP. If your leaving bruises that's not good. I am a spanker and I can't imagine spanking my kids hard enough to leave a bruise of any size. I would reevaluate if spanking is the right form of discipline for you to use.
This is a great post.

It may be in the end that it does not matter whether you spank or dont spank but whether you love or not love.

Mind you the one thing that makes me curious about this thread is I think the OP said he hand spanked and left bruises. Now I do not actually have a problem with bruises although we changed from the cane to the paddle so that we would not bruise but still inflict physical pain which is the point of course.

However, I wonder how does one hand spank and leave bruises. What does it do to his hand I wonder.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:31 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Here's another counter to the above claim. This study was in 2009. The above study was from 2010 and note that it talks about children who were spanked before age 6 and says that children spanked after that age often had behavioral problems (which I suspect would not correlate to doing well in school).

Spanking lowers a child's IQ, researcher says | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

You can find studies to support most anything in psychology or social science, but in order to really compare them you have to read the whole study and compare methodology, etc.
Ahhhhh but here's the REAL question..... What came first, the chicken or the egg? Do children with lower IQs require more "discipline", because they can't put together 2+2? If you DO this, you will be punished. Does the lower IQ in those children, contribute to behavioral problems which require a more "concrete" form of discipline? Frankly, I got the crap knocked out of me on a regular basis, and I have a very high IQ. Now, mind you...it wasn't as if I was a bad child. I was a high-energy child, who had high-strung stressed out parents...and was the youngest of 9 children. They had every intention of beating any obstinance and head-strong behavior out of me. It didn't work...but it most certainly didn't make me an dumber either.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:38 PM

170 posts, read 399,238 times
Quote:

That's the point I was trying to make. This whole notion that spanking is detrimental to your child is nothing but hogwash. Correlation does not imply causation. The effects of spanking are pretty much inconclusive. There are kids who get spanked and they turn out just fine. There are other kids who don't get spanked and they turn out fine as well. How a parent chooses to teach and discipline their child is their prerogative.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:56 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
And truth be told, I couldn't care less about the IQ of my children. Sure it's an interesting measure of intelligence, but I'd rather have kids who give 100% at everything they do than have kids with astonishing IQ's. A high IQ is won't get you far if you don't have good work ethic..

Old 05-12-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
And truth be told, I couldn't care less about the IQ of my children. Sure it's an interesting measure of intelligence, but I'd rather have kids who give 100% at everything they do than have kids with astonishing IQ's. A high IQ is won't get you far if you don't have good work ethic..

Oh how right you are!! I high IQ is fine...but what are you doing with it? Prisons are loaded with lots of folks with high IQs. Perhaps they needed it spanked down a little bit? LOL

Old 05-12-2011, 07:02 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh how right you are!! I high IQ is fine...but what are you doing with it? Prisons are loaded with lots of folks with high IQs. Perhaps they needed it spanked down a little bit? LOL
Unlikely

The average inmate in the nation's correctional facilities is functionally illiterate, probably has a learning disability, never had a steady job, was a juvenile delinquent, used drugs and alcohol, and came from a dysfunctional home in which he or she was abused physically and/or sexually.

Despite the focus on white collar criminals, I would say even these do not have a high IQ. They did get caught.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Unlikely

The average inmate in the nation's correctional facilities is functionally illiterate, probably has a learning disability, never had a steady job, was a juvenile delinquent, used drugs and alcohol, and came from a dysfunctional home in which he or she was abused physically and/or sexually.

Despite the focus on white collar criminals, I would say even these do not have a high IQ. They did get caught.
That's the "average" inmate. As for white collar criminals...even intelligent people make mistakes and get caught. It often depends on whether or not those covering for you fold or not. The thing of it is, most criminal acts are not unique or first-time events. BTW....the spank their IQ down comment...was meant as a tongue in cheek statement. If you recall, I already commented that I do NOT believe spanking has the ability to lower a person's IQ. There is no where near enough research and/or evidence to back up that hypothesis.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Unlikely

But the point remains- no one in the adult world cares what your IQ is. While it's great for you if you (hypothetically speaking of course, not you personally) do have a high IQ, it's useless if you do nothing with it.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
That's the "average" inmate. As for white collar criminals...even intelligent people make mistakes and get caught. It often depends on whether or not those covering for you fold or not. The thing of it is, most criminal acts are not unique or first-time events. BTW....the spank their IQ down comment...was meant as a tongue in cheek statement. If you recall, I already commented that I do NOT believe spanking has the ability to lower a person's IQ. There is no where near enough research and/or evidence to back up that hypothesis.
LOL- as if a swat on the rear end has the ability to lower a person's IQ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.