Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 12:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,247,675 times

Advertisements

I guess I should say the Worlds Best Mom necklace DH gave me on my first Mothers Day. I was holding our months old son-who took 5 years to come to us- and got the Ugly Cry just when DH snapped the photo.

But after 30 some Mothers Days, endless poems, school programs, funky craft projects, mangled breakfasts, etc I ran across my best gifts recently.

At the age of 26, after the usual mother/daughter angst, period living at home when she couldn't find a job, arguments about unsuitable boyfriends, etc, my daughter wrote me a truly personal and heart-wrenching letter acknowledging our tensions in the past, her immaturity and lack of foresight, her appreciation of my patience and her declaration of forever love for me. No bag of diamonds or bricks of gold will ever have more value to me than that particular letter.

So to my fellow Moms who are struggling with teenage kids and see no end in sight, I want to say It Does Get Better and I hope you too will one day be told all you have done for your children has been appreciated and assimilated.

Enjoy your weekend and hug your kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 03:34 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,021,539 times
Sweet No Kudzu! I'm with you, I will take a heartfelt card over a gift any day. I save all the cards, but honestly cannot tell you what gifts I've received through the years. None of my three will be home this year, so I'm hoping for phone calls.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:38 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,264,857 times
I will call my mother since I live in California and she lives in Tennessee...yes mothers with teenaged daughters, we do get better but not until we reach our mid 20's which is about the age we consider our mothers to be smart and full of wisdom.....lol, coming from someone who is almost 35!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:44 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,857,962 times
I think the moment you appreciate your mother the most is when you yourself become a mother.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,790,878 times
Aww, that was sweet, nokudzu.

My oldest child is putting me through the paces. I've called my mom several times over the years to say, "Oh my gosh, Mom, I'm sorry. How did you stand it?"

Happy Mother's Day.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 PM

6,888 posts, read 11,277,399 times
Smile Mother's Day gift

No Kudzu - I know what you mean about a letter like that. My daughter is 26now and I got a phone call this year. She was here 2 weeks ago for Easter so in a sense, that was my Mother's Day present to myself. I hope to get one of those myself one year - right now, I'm trying to keep it light. We laughed on the phone today after some of the funny times she had growing up and she agreed like I remember that, it was funny!

My son (lives at home) goes to college and works a lot but today for brunch was not a day to try to get into a restaurant. All booked days ahead. We're going next week.

I have every card still but a letter like that would mean the most to me as well.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:36 PM

6,888 posts, read 11,277,399 times
Smile Hang in there, Mattie - and Happy Mother's Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Sweet No Kudzu! I'm with you, I will take a heartfelt card over a gift any day. I save all the cards, but honestly cannot tell you what gifts I've received through the years. None of my three will be home this year, so I'm hoping for phone calls.
You've been through a lot lately; I hope you and your husband did something special

Old 05-08-2011, 08:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,021,539 times
Thank you Bette, we had a nice day of gardening together. I gave up trying to go out on Mother's Day years ago, so we grilled outside for dinner. And, ALL the boys called me with their love, which was plenty.

I hope your day was wonderful too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting