Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,016,455 times

Advertisements

How many of you lost your mom? How old were you? Please tell your story. How has the loss of your mom affected you as a parent?

My mom died almost six years ago. She had breast cancer, but died from complications of Myrsya (worst form of pnemonia to get). I was 36 at the time, and my son had just turned 4. She was only 64 at the time.

Losing my mother has been like losing a piece of my heart and soul. But I am very fortunate that my mom was an awesome person and mother. She loved and cherished me, my siblings and her grandkids with all her might.

It's been hard for me at times to explain to my kids why their grandma is in heaven. Their are so many times during the year (holidays, mother's day, school plays, events, etc) that OTHER kids have their grandmother's there. I know my mother would have loved to be a part of all these events.

It also makes me angry when other women complain about their mother's! They don't know how good they have it. But I guess some people don't know what they have until it's gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 03:35 PM

955 posts, read 3,652,779 times
I just wanted to say that I really feel for you!! I am so lucky to have my mom around and love her to pieces! She always reasures me when I need it and is there for me! She really is my best friend (besides my husband) and I talk to her every day by phone (we live about 6 hours apart).... having my own children really made me appreciate her and made our relationship stronger!

She battled breast cancer at the age of 39 and beat it, and I am so greatful that we didn't miss out on enjoying my kids together

Old 08-20-2008, 04:18 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,649,761 times
Would she be interested in adopting all of us?

Old 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,016,455 times
You are so very blessed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
I just wanted to say that I really feel for you!! I am so lucky to have my mom around and love her to pieces! She always reasures me when I need it and is there for me! She really is my best friend (besides my husband) and I talk to her every day by phone (we live about 6 hours apart).... having my own children really made me appreciate her and made our relationship stronger!

She battled breast cancer at the age of 39 and beat it, and I am so greatful that we didn't miss out on enjoying my kids together

Old 08-21-2008, 08:02 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,199,240 times
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my mother when I was 17 to cervical cancer. I am concerned how I am going to explain to my girls when they're older where their "other" grandma is. I'm fortunate enough that the oldest hasn't noticed that Daddy has a Mommy, but Mommy doesn't have a Mommy just yet. Since we don't believe in Heaven, it poses an extra problem.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:04 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,328,666 times
My mother is still alive (I think) but not in our lives. She and my dad divorced when I was 4...we saw her once or twice a year until my dad remarried when I was 11. She just stopped calling and visiting. Have only heard from her once since that time...She called like nothing ever happened and wanted us to go to her dads funeral (a man we never really knew) She doesn't exactly have all her toys in the attic, lol!
I find it makes me a better mom...And my kids don't suffer as they only know my step mom (who I call mom) as their grandma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting