Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 06:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I also have a strong Brooklyn accent that comes out when I am angry or really annoyed.
I'd love to hear it. I'd really love to hear mm since she's lived in so many places. Do not get me all geeky on accents and dialects.

I have an idea psr and I sound a lot alike. Think Steve Martin/Kevin Costner.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'd love to hear it. I'd really love to hear mm since she's lived in so many places. Do not get me all geeky on accents and dialects.

haha...I really don't think I have any distinct sound....probably kind of bland actually. My parents were midwesterners and probably spent the most time there and in SoCal - and I never hear much of an accent from there....No one here has ever seemed to notice anything. The only time it was ever mentioned was in college in Michigan..My roommate and also my SIL (not from Michigan but the midwest still) I can hear a more nasally "a" sound.....In the end, my accent in Michigan was apparently not nearly as shocking as the fact that I didn't think Bob Seger was much more important than Bruce Springsteen and I wasn't familiar with "Turn the Page"....LOL

Old 08-28-2011, 06:49 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,753,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Hahahahahaha....Steve Martin/Kevin Costner! Weird combo. I can type my accent its a cross between Rosie Perez and my brooklynite accent.

Yeah Mr. X likes em peaks fluffed.

I tole his Moms he like em peaks fluffed and she wuz like WAAAAAAAAAT... n I wuz like YEAH N WAT! He threw down on roasted tots and left the mash to the pigeons on the curb. So she be out n shizzzzz.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,490,296 times
Hi all

A ton of reading to catch up with today - too many posts to respond to individually! I really need someone to post cliff notes around 4pm your time so that I can head straight to the most interesting / weird / gobsmacking threads as soon as I sit down here with my morning coffee.

I'm really glad Irene's temper tantrum was exaggerated, and hope ewag (and anyone else who is powerless) is plugged back in very soon.

I spend a huge chunk of every day 'talking' with Americans - I have real life American friends here in Oz, American cyber pals I chat with online, contribute to several US-based message boards - and take fairly frequent vacations in the US. I can convert kilograms to pounds and kilometres to miles without blinking an eye. I irritate the heck out of my Aussie friends by referring to cell phones, elevators and vacations (instead of mobile phones, lifts and holidays).

But one thing I can't get my head around is the way you guy do dates. I was totally stumped by the fact that people may not get their power back on until 9/4 - to us that's the 9th April!! Every time I see a date written US-style, my head starts to spin, my brain scrambles and I have to say - out loud no less - month day, month day, month day.

Finster - do you have the same problem? Or is there some other US-speak you can't wrap your Aussie-brain around?

Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Kobber - so funny about dates. I have reason, in my professional life, to deal with dates and some of the folks I deal with are not Americans. I have to be very careful to make sure we're on the same page!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 PM

Kobber tsk tsk tsk....calling mobiles-cellphones, holidays-vacations, lifts-elevators. Mr. X would say Traitor!!!!!!!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:02 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,746 times
Kobber- I have the same issue with dates. I work with our Belgium office a lot and I get a lot of spreadsheets with dates. Sometimes the try to "helps me out" by changing them to American dates and other times they don't. So if I see that my container is arriving on 9/10, I am not sure if they mean October 9 or September 10. I have asked them several times to just leave it in the European style because I am so used to it now that it doesn't phase me. It would be a lot quicker than having to email back and ask which date they mean.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Hahahahahaha....Steve Martin/Kevin Costner! Weird combo.
They're grew up just a few miles apart.

BTW: I sort of knew Kevin in college. Hs first wife was a friend of a friend. Major frat boy party animal. When he first got famous I kept saying, "Kevin Costner? Really? You're kidding!!"

Oh, and how could I forget? My brother knew Steve Martin. Heck I knew Steve. I'll save those stories for wine night. Psr has some kind of a connection to him too. Her brother (?) was a friend of his I think. Correct me if I'm wrong, psr.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:05 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,574,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
But one thing I can't get my head around is the way you guy do dates. I was totally stumped by the fact that people may not get their power back on until 9/4 - to us that's the 9th April!! Every time I see a date written US-style, my head starts to spin, my brain scrambles and I have to say - out loud no less - month day, month day, month day.

Finster - do you have the same problem? Or is there some other US-speak you can't wrap your Aussie-brain around?
Kobber, that's very funny. After living here a gazillion years I still struggle with dates, I cover it very well though (I think ). When people ask birth dates I say it out as in April First. Add to that having lived in places where dates are MM/DD/YYYY, DD/MM/YYYY, and for most of my childhood YYYY/MM/DD. Also we travel backwards and forwards a lot, that doesn't help. I never know what's going on.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 PM

Dates are hard and take time getting use to.

Anyhoooooo, I am off. Going to take a nice bath and watch Real Housewives. Everyone be safe and much CD love to all.

Kobber can you give me a typical Aussie dish or recipe? I always wondered what someone would consider an Australian dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting