Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Do you ever feel badly, like you were the worst Mom in the world? As I look back on my children's childhood, I feel bad. I was always working, going to school, moving, exhausted. Just trying to keep food on the table. I feel like time passed so fast, and nothing worked out the way I wanted it to. Now, my kids are all grown, we never made cookies...I always wanted to...some things just don't tunr out the way you wanted them to. Now, I don't even have a place for them to come home to any more. I am doing well, not to be homeless myself. Oh well...at least we were never homeless. Close...but never were...Just depressed today, about what a complete failure I have been...I always worked holidays, for the double pay...and because they depressed me too much. I short changed everyone. Now, those same holidays are coming around again...and I am dreading them. I need to cheer up...Some people don't have fancy homes, or lots of money, or even furniture...we just make it pay check to pay check...and it just never ends.
Don't beat yourself up. We all have things we wish we had done differently. If the holidays depress you (me too) and you are feeling depressed now, maybe you should seek treatment for it. Better late than never, right?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Do you ever feel badly, like you were the worst Mom in the world? As I look back on my children's childhood, I feel bad. I was always working, going to school, moving, exhausted. Just trying to keep food on the table. I feel like time passed so fast, and nothing worked out the way I wanted it to. Now, my kids are all grown, we never made cookies...I always wanted to...some things just don't tunr out the way you wanted them to. Now, I don't even have a place for them to come home to any more. I am doing well, not to be homeless myself. Oh well...at least we were never homeless. Close...but never were...Just depressed today, about what a complete failure I have been...I always worked holidays, for the double pay...and because they depressed me too much. I short changed everyone. Now, those same holidays are coming around again...and I am dreading them. I need to cheer up...Some people don't have fancy homes, or lots of money, or even furniture...we just make it pay check to pay check...and it just never ends.
Awe ((((((jasper)))))) I'm so sorry you're having a difficult night.

Don't beat yourself up. You're a good mom!. You wouldn't be feeling this way if you were a bad mom!

Life sure doesn't always work out the way we plan. That's for sure. I'm living it too.

I just try to stay upbeat and ride the waves---seeing where life is taking me. It's hard to do sometimes.

You sound depressed. Have you considered counseling or talking to your doctor about antidepressants if you can't afford counseling?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Most parents have regrets and wish they had done things differently. You did what you could with the hand you were dealt. Loving your children and having them love you back is the most important part of being a parent. The rest is quite unimportant in the big picture.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think that story was from a previous year.
Oh balls. I missed that part.

I was wondering why coop was so calm! I guess you'd be over it by now.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Jasper! I'm sorry you're feeling blue. You worked so hard because that's what you needed to do, and you should never feel bad about that. That makes you the greatest mom in the world. Baking cookies is nice, but the roof over their heads and you caring enough to keep it up there is what's important.

I know people with literally bucket loads of money who are freakin miserable. They would be happier with a person who cares for them more than anything. Struggling is hard, but not having anyone to love is harder.

Big hugs to you.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Things I have learned on the interwebz this week:

1) Fin is not a muggle after all! Who knew?

2) Facebook is EEEVIL!

3) Sex, violence, incest, and pedophilia are tolerable in the classics, but not in modern literature.

4) Obama controls a giant machine that can generate earthquakes and hurricanes.

5) The Relationship forum is hilarious in a desperate sad kinda way. (Anyone read the hair "down there" thread? )

6) CDMWR are fond of daytime "naps"!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh balls. I missed that part.

I was wondering why coop was so calm! I guess you'd be over it by now.
lol! Well thanks for being worried! It was four years ago when he was a Freshman. Tonight was our last Back to School Night

You guys - his AP English Lit teacher is a hot god. Whoa is all I can say. Hope that doesn't make me sound creepy

Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
jasper - providing for your children is not being a failure. And baking cookies isn't what's it's cracked up to be

Sorry your feeling down.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
lol! Well thanks for being worried! It was four years ago when he was a Freshman. Tonight was our last Back to School Night

You guys - his AP English Lit teacher is a hot god. Whoa is all I can say. Hope that doesn't make me sound creepy
No, not creepy at all Mrs Robins... I mean coop.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Tonight was our last Back to School Night
Now that would be something I would be happy about! I hated Back to School Nights. (But I understand what you're really missing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.