Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 07:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,439,438 times

Advertisements

Good morning, everyone!

Caught up on the thread. It really flew last night. Got a kick out of the word of the day posts.

Today's word is boring: glace = ice placed in a glass to cool it = pronounced just like glass

Boring word of the day. Maybe the CD Mom's Who Rock can find a way to make it interesting.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,915,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I heard about Eureka. Glad to know Warehouse 13 was at least picked up!
I'm waiting to see where the storyline in Alphas goes. The whole Rosetta episode mirrored debates in some autism circles.
I know, I know! I haven't really been able to get into Alphas yet, though to be fair, I've only seen part of an episode. I still have the first few episodes on the DVR, so I'll need to give it another chance. That's neat about the Rosetta Stone/autism link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Good morning, everyone!

Today's word is boring: glace = ice placed in a glass to cool it = pronounced just like glass

Boring word of the day. Maybe the CD Mom's Who Rock can find a way to make it interesting.
Yeah, I saw that, too. Waiting for something interesting to happen with ice today so I can spiff it up a bit. Though, truth be told, it's hard to follow haboob and odoriferous!

Morning everyone!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,223,056 times
Tales from the public school office:

First, my heartfelt thanks to anyone working in a school office today. Especially a middle school office, because middle school is, in general, insane. I would buy you doughnuts and coffee, but there are so many of you!

Second: what the heck kind of parent shows up the first day of school on a random campus and says "We moved to <town halfway across county>. Does my son still come here? Where's his bus stop? Can I just leave him today and go home?"
Or, similarly, "I don't know if my kid is supposed to go here." The best one is the guy who said this and, when the person helping him asked who his child was and whether he attended this school last year, replied "I left him in the car." (It is currently 83 degrees, and rising rapidly. Wonder if he left a window cracked and a bowl of water?)

I was in there because of schedule foul-ups. Manchild actually did not have a first period class scheduled. Since first period is generally where you get all that homeroom-y stuff, like lunch forms and locker assignments, that is sort of a big problem, IME. He still doesn't, as far as I know, but at least someone is working on it.

I'm just waiting for "special snowflake" and "helicopter" to be bandied about. (Which is why this isn't posted in the Education forum.)

Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,619,191 times
Good Morning All!

Aconite - Yikes! That's a big old mess! My personal favorite are the parents who insist their kids are moved to different classes as they have decided they don't like the teacher......after 2 or 3 days. School offices have that certain je ne sais quoi about them.

Hopes - glace you say? Hmmmm

Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,983,333 times
Hopes you beat me to it! It is a boring word. I'm drinking coffee but certainly don't want any glace put in it....

eway and Aconite - DS and I are only now just watching the first season of Eureka. We like it. We've set Alphas up in Hulu, but only one episode is available so far, so we haven't started watching it.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 AM

Aconite - those stories are funny. I will admit to never volunteering once DS hit middle school. It's a bit nuts.

DS has to go around and find a teacher who is willing to let him be an aide for one period. The counselor gave him the list of teachers and their schedules and said have at it. Hopefully someone will let him because he does not want to fill that spot with a class. Being an aide is pass or fail but you still get the credit.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,572,801 times
Good morning....

I agree - my volunteering, once the kids hit middle school, was limited to such things as bringing food/water for teachers on conference days and stuff like that. I'd probably have to commit hari-kari if I had to deal with clueless parents for an extended period of time.

It really is amazing how some people function as living, breathing, presumably working, adults.

Going to hop in the shower soon and start making my list of things that need to be done today - and by "today" I mean "this week-ish"

coop - good luck to DS on finding a class to be an aide in. Hopefully he'll find one where he can get started on his homework at least some of the time.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,439,438 times
Adding to Finster's inspirational post of yesterday:

She slide glace into her odoriferous cleavage to squelch the stench permeating from between her buxom breasts.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 AM

13,716 posts, read 10,087,145 times
Quote:

She slide glace into her odoriferous cleavage to squelch the stench permeating from between her buxom breasts.
LOL. Where's Fabio when you need him?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
LOL. Where's Fabio when you need him?
Things seem to be going down hill quickly this morning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.