Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,356,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We tried being frugal and cooking an entire chicken tonight. Big fail. The thermometer said it was fully cooked in all three spots we checked. It wasn't, though. Of course, we also neglected to rinse the chicken in the first place, so it was all nasty looking inside. Then hubby proceeded to murder the chicken in his attempt at carving. They need classes for this, man.
I have never attempted that, and DH is always in charge of the Thanksgiving turkey. Sorry your attempt failed.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,545,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Oh yeah. Our neighborhood "social committee" head suffers from agoraphobia. She never leaves her house, yet is in charge of planning the 4 neighborhood parties we hold each year. One year she even hosted it, but never came out to join the festivities. But, she volunteered, and nobody else did.
That's quite a contradiction, huh? Since my son is turning agoraphobic, I can understand why she volunteered. People with these fears want more than anything to do the things they are afraid to do. They aren't antisocial recluses by choice. At the spur of the moment, they feel very capable, like when my son applied for and accepted the job down the hill from us. After they have time to think about it, they become outright terrified. I'm actually impressed that she still followed through and planned the festivities, even though she didn't join them herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
that is very odd. my issue is a mom who volunteered to coach soccer when one was needed, then backed out to have surgery. She knew she was having surgery but supposedly didn't know how extensive it would be. I think she volunteered in order to "save the day" even though she knew she wouldn't be able to do it.
Surgery is good reason to back out. Perhaps she truly didn't know how extensive it would be. I had to back out of some Lacrosse club position when I became weak with my B-12 deficiency. I had zero energy. I'm not talking just a little tired. I literally couldn't get out of bed. Heck, I fell asleep while standing and in the middle of talking. Very scary.. I'm sure some people who didn't know me well thought I was a slacker. Thank goodness many of the parents knew me for most of my life and knew it wasn't like me to just quit for no good reason.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
We tried being frugal and cooking an entire chicken tonight. Big fail. The thermometer said it was fully cooked in all three spots we checked. It wasn't, though. Of course, we also neglected to rinse the chicken in the first place, so it was all nasty looking inside. Then hubby proceeded to murder the chicken in his attempt at carving. They need classes for this, man.
You definitely need a new themometer. Try it again. Whole chicken is so much more tender, in addition to frugal..

Old 08-13-2011, 01:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,119,917 times
This is a new thermometer. Maybe it's because we got the cheapest one. We'll try it again once we get a better one and have the nerve again.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:56 AM

6,190 posts, read 8,009,828 times
So, I asked my mom if TG could spend the night sometime, on the weekend.
I asked about a week ago or more.
She said no, I didn't say anything more or ask again.

I came home tonight.
TG and I had an argument earlier.

MY BROTHER IS ON THE COUCH WITH AN EFFING GIRL.
Curled up with a girl on the couch in the living room.

Its NOT his girlfriend, which he just broke up with a few days ago, its another girl....

*Edit* Let me be more clear, SHE'S SLEEPING OVER! They are sleeping together on the couch.

I am at a loss for words, really I am.
I wouldn't have even been allowed THAT when I was 17, I'm not even allowed that now.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around all this but it's just not wrapping...

Last edited by txtqueen; 08-13-2011 at 03:25 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 03:50 AM

6,190 posts, read 8,009,828 times
And they're gone...
I have a cold, I am sick as hell, fever/aches/etc, went to go get the thermometer from my mom's bathroom and my brother and said girl are gone from the couch....
I bet they went to play scrabble.

I don't think I can facepalm hard enough....

Old 08-13-2011, 07:31 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,230,363 times
Good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yeah......no! Those are the type of women I have to co-exist with, I'd rather not watch them on TV too!
No kidding! Between them and the pageant moms, I'm very glad mine are band geeks.

And txt...life is unfair. Fix it, or get over it.

Last edited by Aconite; 08-13-2011 at 07:43 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Easy roasted chicken directions:

RINSE AND REMOVE ICKY BITS (most important).
Slather with olive oil.
Sprinkle liberally (no political reference intended) with herbs. Garlic and ground rosemary is a good combo, and pretty cheap, or you can cheat and buy a package of mixed herbs from the grocery.
Throw into a roasting pan with olive-oil-coated carrots, onions, potatoes, all cut into "two bite" sizes.
Cook breast side down at about 375 until the legs look just a bit overdone and seem like they might want to fall off with only a little provocation.

Remove meat from bones, throw bones in soup pot with the tops of the carrots, some onion, and whatever else you have lying around. (Within reason; chocolate chips would be weird.)
Eat meat and veggies.
Simmer the stuff in the soup pot rest of the evening, occasionally skimming off frothy nasty stuff, and strain before going to bed. Place in refrigerator for future use, feeling virtuous.

Also, if you have a small family and don't care to be looking at chicken for days, use a fryer rather than a roaster. It'll cost a good bit less, and it's still going to taste like a chicken.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I'm trying to wrap my mind around all this but it's just not wrapping...
Wrap your head around this: The rules don't have to be fair because you shouldn't be living there! You're an adult! Move out!

I did the same thing with TK. My rules were stricter for him than my son. Why? Because TK needed motivation to move out and support himself.

If you get all the freedom you want, you'll never leave your mother's house. That's why life isn't fair. Quit whining and do something about it.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Quit whining and do something about it.
To quote Granny Aconite (who probably didn't originate it, but who gave it a certain Appalachian je ne sais quoi): "You know where to find sympathy? In the dictionary, between s*it and syphilis."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.