Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 05:59 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Thanks, Zimbo. Take it from Grannypants: When Jimi played it that way it was revolutionary. My gosh, people got upset. I think I'll turn my speakers way up and use it to call DH in for supper.
Haha! Let us know how that works.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Haha! Let us know how that works.
It worked great. He opened a bottle of wine.

Happy 4th everybody!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:05 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Just finished dinner here too Dew. And opened a bottle of wine.

Enjoy the celebration everyone.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Hopes, take it easy!

MM - yes, we do get to. In the past few years we've been to Great Sand Dunes, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier NP, Arches NP, Canyon Lands, San Juan Mts (Durango/Ouray), Capitol Reef, NP, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, San Diego, Disneyland, Rocky Mt NP, Breckenridge...

On our to do list is Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, Dinosaur Nat monument, Yosemite, San Francisco, Disney World, Disney Cruise. We're headed to Crested Butte/Gunnison in a couple weeks, and Moab, UT in the fall.
rkb - that's great - we spent so much time traveling back to see family many other things got missed. Just not enough vacation time to do it all. Then once DS got into sports, we had commitments most weekends. That all made vacations difficult. We did Disney several times, Mt. Rushmore, Washington DC, Mexico, visited various family members in other parts of the country but that's about it. I would have loved to be able to do more when they were old enough to remember. Part of the trouble for me I think was my family was always driving somewhere. It stopped being enjoyable for me at some point. I have seen a lot of this country, and as an adult I can "get it" and be grateful. I didn't at the time though....Of course, I have 2 kids who would drop everything to go anywhere at anytime....

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-04-2011 at 07:44 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 PM

YouTube - ‪Boston Pops 4th of July 1812 Overture FIREWORKS, 2010 (meh‬‏

Old 07-04-2011, 07:53 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Happy 4th everyone!

I know, it's really hard to plan anything. Mattie, have you ever been to Matilda's? We were going to go there, but with iffy weather I think we'll need a Plan B.
I just read about Matilda's this past week! Friends of ours have asked us to go soon, but not tonight. Have you been there Zimbo? I wonder how the parking is.

We did go to the Verizon 4th celebration the 1st year they held it. It was heavy on classical music, light on the patriotic theme. DH fell asleep.

Well, we have thunder, lightening, rain, AND fireworks. Poor dogs can't wait for it all to end. I wasn't expecting the fireworks, but the private golf club behind us went ahead with the show.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:08 PM

Hilarious piece on American History (as it would be recorded on Facebook).

Op-Art: Like it or Unfriend It - Graphic - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I just read about Matilda's this past week! Friends of ours have asked us to go soon, but not tonight. Have you been there Zimbo? I wonder how the parking is.

We did go to the Verizon 4th celebration the 1st year they held it. It was heavy on classical music, light on the patriotic theme. DH fell asleep.

Well, we have thunder, lightening, rain, AND fireworks. Poor dogs can't wait for it all to end. I wasn't expecting the fireworks, but the private golf club behind us went ahead with the show.
We waited over 2 hours for our local fireworks, and eventually gave up. The storm was crazy, and they kept delaying. Apparently the fireworks eventually took place at 10.45pm, I'm sure the neighbors were delighted. Our idiot neighbors have been shooting off fireworks (illegally) for 24 hours now, and are not slowing. It's going to be a long night.

Yes, I have been to Matilda's a few times, it's wonderful. We have never eaten there, we always take a picnic. It's Atlanta, parking sucks! Actually if you get there early enough parking isn't too bad. You should check it out.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:23 PM

Just sitting on our deck watching the illegal fireworks that neighbors are shooting off. My - I can't imagine what people spend to do this. Some of these rival what I see in small towns.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 AM

Good Morning All!

DH was on a cooking jag all weekend , and the harsh reality has set in that he's back to work today, and I have to cook! The highlight was a chilled avocado soup and red lentil and carrot stew. Yum!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
rkb - that's great - we spent so much time traveling back to see family many other things got missed. Just not enough vacation time to do it all. Then once DS got into sports, we had commitments most weekends. That all made vacations difficult. We did Disney several times, Mt. Rushmore, Washington DC, Mexico, visited various family members in other parts of the country but that's about it. I would have loved to be able to do more when they were old enough to remember. Part of the trouble for me I think was my family was always driving somewhere. It stopped being enjoyable for me at some point. I have seen a lot of this country, and as an adult I can "get it" and be grateful. I didn't at the time though....Of course, I have 2 kids who would drop everything to go anywhere at anytime....
We are trying not to make every vacation about visiting family. I'm sure they aren't happy about that. This summer my parents are coming out and going on vacation with us. That seems to work better than going to their house and staring at each other for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting