Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 04:40 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,962,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I like West Bend- nice little town!
It is! I very much enjoying visiting them. Expect for the humidity! I've turned into a total humidity wimp after leaving Texas.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:45 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,485,720 times
Anyplace I can go to scream? Having one of those days.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Go to Chuck e Cheese. No one will notice. Sorry you're having a crap day!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Sorry.

How about here? Or your car. Roll up the windows and have at it.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,962,517 times
mm - scream away here. Sorry about your day.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Well, all, here's what I learned today - funny how the little things really bug you. I learned that apparently my son is a "notch" below those IB kids.
Mompetitors - get off putting other kids down. Doesn't get much more pathetic than that!

The majority of kids, ie. average kids, are perfectly fine too.

I hate it when parents flash the IB thing, drives me nuts.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 PM

Hey all....finally checking back in....long long day. One of my special highlights was going to Lowe's to rent a Rug Doctor to shampoo my stairs..Got the thing, got it home filled it up etc etc...and....it doesn't work. Called the 1-800 number went through a bunch of steps only to have them say...hmmm...sounds like it is broken. So took it back to Lowe's and got another one...that took a good chunk of time this afternoon so it set me back a bit..plus just the hassle....grr...oh well...stairs are shampooed and painting is done...so that's a good thing.

Yeah..the whole IB bragging thing is silly. Quite honestly lots of things are silly in HS. The stress DD went through (all her friends were on the 4.0+ honor roll, all kinds of acclaimations etc) and being stressed and depressed about it all... DD is a good student. Not "exceptional" but a good solid student and a hard worker. Some of the teachers who liked her best were classes she got C's in...because she worked darned hard for those Cs. When all her friends were in NHS and she wasn't it really got to her. I had to explain that as nice an honor as it was, it really wasn't going to mean anything once they all got out of high school. NHS membership is not tatooed on your forehead forever. I've never been to a cocktail party where the hostess divided us up and said that all former NHS students could have their drinks in the Living Room while the lesser amongst us could stand in the kitchen....College is a whole different ballgame. Some kids who excel in HS don't do well in a college setting and some kids who struggle in HS excel in college...You just never know. A neighbor down our street is "taking a break" from college at the moment - interestingly he graduated from the IB program. So did his brother, who, as far as I can tell is doing just fine. There are no guarantees in life - or in parenting.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,491,600 times
This ol' Aussie chook quite often needs to google terms you guys use because they are completely foreign to me! For eg those peeps things that get their heads bitten off 'round this time of year that someone mentioned up-thread. I found them with no problem.

This time I'm stumped - in the thread about kids' household responsibilities, Dew said to allow the kids to get pony packs at the nursery (as a treat for helping with garden chores). No idea what they are, so looked 'em up.

Hmmm... surely not. First google entry for pony pack:

Definition: Street term for folded paper used to package drugs.

I always used to think Dew was such a sensible parent!

PS: I'm still no wiser about pony packs suitable for kids!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
This ol' Aussie chook quite often needs to google terms you guys use because they are completely foreign to me! For eg those peeps things that get their heads bitten off 'round this time of year that someone mentioned up-thread. I found them with no problem.

This time I'm stumped - in the thread about kids' household responsibilities, Dew said to allow the kids to get pony packs at the nursery (as a treat for helping with garden chores). No idea what they are, so looked 'em up.

Hmmm... surely not. First google entry for pony pack:

Definition: Street term for folded paper used to package drugs.

I always used to think Dew was such a sensible parent!

PS: I'm still no wiser about pony packs suitable for kids!
Next definition:

a tray of usually one dozen growing plants that can be bought from a nursery for transplanting: a pony pack of tomato plants.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,491,600 times
Oh whew! Thanks mm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.