Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,290,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Hey man....I was that kid at one time. I've got tons of stories from when I was learning.

Once I was driving with my dad. I was driving on a curvy road and this big turtle was crossing the road in front of me. I had plenty of time to avoid it but my dad had just gotten on my case about staying between the lines. He said, "You see that turtle?". I said, "Yep." He said,"Well?" "Thump-Thump", said the tire to the turtle. Poor guy never stood a chance. LMAO

I have a similar story about a dog and my older cousin's learning period.....
Sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 02:14 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,438,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
And I have no illusions about any kind of rate break once a teen-age driver starts driving! Cha-ching.
Does your insurance company give discounts for kids who take drivers' ed or have good academic records? (Mind did.)

Old 03-16-2011, 02:21 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,290,123 times
^yeah same here. My folks' insurance company gave them a break because I was on the honor roll and took drivers ed.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,616,324 times
Well, in OH - they are required to take a driver's course from a professional. So those classes are starting 4/17/11 - he will have to go to a class for four hours every Sunday for like 5 weeks.

After that, he will start his 'in car' sessions with the instructor. I believe 'Top Driver' is the name of the driving school.

It's a requirement here in OH - but they are supposed to have some 'baseline knowledge' when they start.

So maybe he and I can just stick to neighborhood streets until he gets some professional training!

It's quite expensive or I would hire another one to start right now!

But I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences; it is helpful to hear from those that have - been there done that.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:33 PM

124 posts, read 167,576 times
Quote:
Well, in OH - they are required to take a driver's course from a professional. So those classes are starting 4/17/11 - he will have to go to a class for four hours every Sunday for like 5 weeks.

After that, he will start his 'in car' sessions with the instructor. I believe 'Top Driver' is the name of the driving school.

It's a requirement here in OH - but they are supposed to have some 'baseline knowledge' when they start.

So maybe he and I can just stick to neighborhood streets until he gets some professional training!

It's quite expensive or I would hire another one to start right now!

But I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences; it is helpful to hear from those that have - been there done that.
Hey - been there, done that. 3 kids, the youngest being 20.'

I taught them all how to drive. I'm still alive, and so are they. And, in fact, none of them have had any accidents.

We have a huge - and I do mean HUGE - cemetery by our house. Lots and lots of little "streets." It was a great place to start. After that it was just a whole lot of them driving, with me in the passenger seat telling them what to do.

With each of our 3 kids, they got mad at me repeatedly for telling them how to drive. I asked them if they wanted to stop practicing and not get their licenses. They shut up.

I relentlessly ground "safety" and "defensive driving" into their heads, while I was riding with them.

Eventually they catch on. But don't kid yourself - you'll have a lot more gray hair when it's over!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:57 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,242,242 times
Parents teaching kids to drive is a good way to start an argument.

I would say either get paid lessons. A few are a good thing anyway.

Consider swapping with some other parent. You teach their kid and they teach your kid.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,103,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I suggest the first thing you do is YOU drive and give a narrative of what you are doing so that he can focus on these things while not having the stress of actually driving.

Point out signs-speed limit, stop, yield, intersection, railroad, merge, curve, and so on. Explain exactly what each one means and what to do. Even if you think he knows or HE thinks he knows, explain it.

Speed limit - it's there for a reason. 30 on residential streets because you never know when a a person or vehicle may enter the street suddenly from a driveway or yard. 55 on highway to keep traffic flowing smoothly. 10 in a park because children are playing and might chase a ball into your path and it's up to YOU to prevent an accident.

Stop-come to a full and complete stop and look all directions before continuing. Pay attention to the lane you are in and do not go straight if you are in a turn lane and vice versa.

Intersection-understand that means more than one road are about to intersect. Pay attention to stop signs or signals and don't assume all the other drivers will abide by the rules. That's how many accidents happen-people running stop signs or red lights.

Yield means to give way to the other driver, but it also may mean you have to come to a complete stop. Do not continue until your path is clear.

Railroad means you pay attention to flashing lights, crossing arms coming down (don't be under them or run through them!) and don't ever stop on the tracks!

Merge - traffic from different streets or lanes need to share one soon, so be prepared to let others in or safely work your way into the shared lane.

Curve- as mentioned you must slow your speed, especially in bad weather conditions. Rain just beginning is far more dangerous than rain that's been occurring for a while as all the oil on the road has not been washed away yet, so it's the slipperiest then..

All those things that we as long time drivers know automatically doesn't seep into their pores just because they are in the car with you. So talk him through it all. Ask him what you should do to see if he knows.

Then get him out for practice. Maybe try an industrial area on the weekend where there are all kinds of roads, yet not much traffic and you don't have to worry about children, bicycles or motorcycles.
This is all good advice; however, there could be differences with the speed limit. Out here it's 25 for residential and 65 for the freeways unless you are in what's considered a rural area. Then it's 70 I believe.

Advice on what not to do? Anything that my driving instructor had me do. Seriously, the first day driving she took me down a very steep and pretty curvy hill. Then she took me through a school zone as an elementary school let out for the day. Those would be things I suggest for later on in the training.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,937,253 times
Quote:
Any words of advice for me??
Don't do that to your son... Have him go to a professional, but not you (even if you are a professional).

I taught my wife to drive. We are still married 42 years later. What still comes up periodically? My teaching her to drive and her horrible pork chops...

My kids and grand kids got professional driving lessons. Near the end they are allowed to give their father/grandfather a ride...

Old 03-18-2011, 08:40 AM

2,404 posts, read 7,919,809 times
The way we taught our daughter to drive was to hire a professional.
He picked her up twice a week in a student driver vehicle and drove with her 1-2 hours at a time.

After she did that for a few weeks, she felt confident and now drives my huge SUV around lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting