Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,553,420 times

Advertisements

i'd be tempted to bring two identical barbies or other small toy -- one for the 4yo and one 'to donate' - you only spend $12-15 and the kid gets one and gives one.

:-)

IMHO, the 4yo parents should just say 'no gifts' and leave it at that. or let the child open the gift -- at 4yo, they really don't know if/when/how the gift gets re-gifted or donated. the fun is OPENING the present!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 04:46 AM

114 posts, read 431,905 times
Thank you all.I am thinking of donating in the childs name & getting an acknowledgement card.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:03 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,259,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhm View Post
Thank you all.I am thinking of donating in the childs name & getting an acknowledgement card.
I think that's a great idea.

If this family has any class at all they'll be able to explain to the child that this is another form of donating. And maybe (if they're smart) tell him about YOUR charity.

I know more and more people want to do charity instead of gifts, but I've found a lot of people don't investigate the charity and how much money they actually get. And how much they actually use to HELP people. (A lot of pockets are lined, sadly.)

You got some great advice here. To those posters.

I have to tell you. At some point I'd tell the parents I'd chosen a charity where much more of the charity gets my $ than the charity they'd chosen. Probably slip in a little info (with a smile on my face) on donating wisely. But that's just me. Always trying to educate the masses.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,321,041 times
Is the party for a 4 year old and her little friends?....or is it a charity run for the adults??? Whatever happened to dropping your kid off for a good time...period, these parties should be about your child having a good time,...not for dictating charity work for the adults.The only adults involved in the party should be the parents and family of the birthday child.....for the invites it should be a few hours when they can knowtheir little gal/guy is having some fun.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:22 AM

90,296 posts, read 120,998,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Is the party for a 4 year old and her little friends?....or is it a charity run for the adults??? Whatever happened to dropping your kid off for a good time...period, these parties should be about your child having a good time,...not for dictating charity work for the adults.The only adults involved in the party should be the parents and family of the birthday child.....for the invites it should be a few hours when they can knowtheir little gal/guy is having some fun.
There will probably be an earthquake right here in the US; I agree with you, purehuman!

I am not real keen on these "give a charitable donation to" requests at parties. This was not going on when my kids were little, but my SIL gave herself a birthday party and made a request for donations to the Humane Society. No matter what charity you pick, someone will surely have a beef with it (cat got sick at the Humane Society shelter, etc). If you really want no gifts, specify no gifts. 4 year olds aren't old enough to understand even bringing a can of non-perishable food; older kids might get that. While tacky, you could specify a $5 limit on gifts, too. Then the kid has something to open. The parent can donate the stuff to the local children's charity, church nursery, or whatever later if they want. It's true that most kids in affluent areas have everything they need and/or want.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:05 AM

114 posts, read 431,905 times
Thank you all, for all the great advice. I share your feelings about the the whole no gift idea or a charitable donation. I dont mind the donation concept for older kids either except that the doner should feel completely free in the way they choose to donate or not.After all we all donate to the community at some time or other and support our choice of charities.Its the whole part of almost being told what to bring in a gift & knowing its cash value even if it is charitable thing that I am uncomfortable with .
With all said, I do agree with one of the previous posters that the hosts have good intentions, but could have chosen a better way to convey their wishes.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:02 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,239,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhm View Post
hi,
dd has been invited to a birthday partyof a 4 year old. The parents have specified no gifts on the invitation but have suggested that attendees bring a charity gift certificate (which the birthday kid will later donate ) if they so wish. We dont go to many birthday parties so i dont know what the norm is.
My question is what is the etiquette here:
1>do i have really to bring a charity gift certificate at the party? I am planning to have dd stop by and give a card and a small goody bag for the birthday boy on his birthday.the party is on a later date.
2> what is a good amount to put on the charity gift certificate without looking cheap ,if i have to take it ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.....
The brithday kid is from the same neighbourhood whom we see once in a a while.
$20

Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,321,041 times
Katiana, wonders never cease!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,845,992 times
Yeah I agree with purehuman too. I must be hallucinating. Scuse me while I call my mommy.

<scared>

Old 03-13-2011, 12:17 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,929,513 times
I think the whole idea is tacky, I've never heard of such a thing. The birthday child's parents have really put people in an awkward position. I guess the best option is donating to a charity and getting an acknowledgment card. I don't like the idea of a second gift though, with two gifts that becomes expensive, and possibly unwanted by the child's parents, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I agree with you for the most part, but I had to smile at the bolded. My youngest is 7, and it's only been this past year that parents have dropped their kids off at a party without staying, and then only a few have done that. Dropping a 4 year old off is unheard of here. Frankly I dread birthday party invitations, after two hours of being with a roomful of loud kids and parents I have the worst headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting