Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,259,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhm View Post
Thank you all, for your replies.

Gobi512,
I was hoping to do something like you suggested, but the parents want the guests to bring a certificate from a website they have suggested, where we have to buy the gift donation and the recepient will donate it to the charity of their choice & will see the denomination when they redeem the donation certificate..
Now that's just plain tacky.

What if it's a charity(s) you don't want to support? And they know how much you've given? That is not only tacky it shows a total lack of class.

I vote, No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 06:00 PM

114 posts, read 431,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So they're actually dictating HOW you should donate? Not only no, but hell no. I'd call the parents, and ask which charity their 4-year-old child wants the money donated to. And then I'd send a donation directly to that charity.

A "donation certificate" on the internet gives me the impression that a percentage of that donation, is going to whichever "organization" is providing the certificate. Like, you donate $20 using "Donate2Me dot com" and $10 goes to "Donate2Me dot com" for "administrative purposes," as a fee...

it sounds like a scam, and the hosts of this party are asking you to pay into a scam. Especially since they get to find out how much you paid.

When you give a present to a child, the parents don't get to see how much you paid for it. It's presumptuous. If they don't want their kid to have presents, then they don't want their kid to have presents. But to ask for donations to "no charity in particular" with a method that tells the parents exactly how much you spent is just bad form.
I did check on the website and they do claim that a certain percentage of the donation is used as administrative fee to keep the website running.
Also, I do agree with your views ,but I feel a kind of obligation to get the certificate,as I dont want to be that neighbour who came empty handed...if you know what I mean.
On another note, I am a bit hesistant about providing my CC info to this website which is,
Charity Choice Donation Gift Cards:Mother's Day,Birthday Gifts,Business Gift Ideas,Facebook app,Corporate Gift

Has anybody heard about them?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,683,739 times
i would skip the stupid party. too much stress over a 'non gift'. ugh.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,845,992 times
There's a 50-cent fee per card.

AND 5% "administrative fee."

AND 3% credit card fee.

AND $4.95 fee per address for shipping and handling for the card itself.

This particular website is a non-profit organization as well, and not a for-profit web host.

However, your birthday boy will get more bang for his buck if you donate directly to a charity and make a nice card saying that a donation was made in his honor.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:11 PM

114 posts, read 431,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
i would skip the stupid party. too much stress over a 'non gift'. ugh.
I wish

Old 03-11-2011, 06:15 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,009,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's a 50-cent fee per card.

AND 5% "administrative fee."

AND 3% credit card fee.

AND $4.95 fee per address for shipping and handling for the card itself.

This particular website is a non-profit organization as well, and not a for-profit web host.

However, your birthday boy will get more bang for his buck if you donate directly to a charity and make a nice card saying that a donation was made in his honor.
This! I have been invited to a party in April where the honoree has also requested no gifts, but a charitable donation. However, all she wants is a card from each guest letting her know what we have done in her honor.

I hate organizations that solicit donations on behalf of charities and then keep a large percentage of the donation, and I refuse to give them anything. We've even seen this in our local schools. The kids sell wrapping paper or candy, etc, and end up with only 40% of the proceeds. I'd much rather write a check to the school.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,215,489 times
To the OP. Simply make your donation to the charity of your choice asking acknowledgement be sent to hostess. Believe me, when all the guests and their parents arrive at the party nobody will be standing at the door with their hand out asking for your piece of paper. You have no obligation to do anything at all and if you are not comfortable with their request, just donate how you feel best or not at all.

We have no gift parties in my community alot. Sometimes we are asked to bring canned food for the food bank, small gift for Giving Tree at christmas time, or bag of used clothes for the PTA thrift store. I don't mind that at all. I would mind very much the kind of donation certificate you are being asked to make.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,513,071 times
That's odd. I've heard of parties to bring canned goods or pet food or something but a certificate? And for a 4 year old? Wow. I'd most likely have a problem with that.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:12 PM

526 posts, read 1,005,419 times
I'd just write it in the card yourself. "A donation was made in ____ 's name to _________" Just choose whatever charity you would like to donate to, or if they specifically requested one give to that charity if you feel comfortable.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:47 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,487,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhm View Post
Hi,
DD has been invited to a birthday partyof a 4 year old. The parents have specified no gifts on the invitation but have suggested that attendees bring a charity gift certificate (which the birthday kid will later donate ) if they so wish. We dont go to many birthday parties so I dont know what the norm is.
My question is what is the etiquette here:
1>Do I have really to bring a charity gift certificate at the party? I am planning to have DD stop by and give a card and a small goody bag for the birthday boy on his birthday.The party is on a later date.
2> what is a good amount to put on the charity gift certificate without looking cheap ,if I have to take it ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.....
The brithday kid is from the same neighbourhood whom we see once in a a while.

This is really strange. I wouldn't buy a charity gift certificate since, like another poster said, a lot of your "donation" could end up going to the site that is selling these certificates. Instead, I would call the parents and ask what specific charity they want the donations to go to and donate directly to the charity in the child's name. From there, take the receipt, put it in a card, and give them that.

I find it very weird that parents would put a request like this for a 4 year old's party. If anything, they could have just said "no gifts, please" or "in lieu of gifts for ______, please make a donation to _______"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting