Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
[mod cut-- deleted quote and response]

Actually, I think that summers should be mostly unstructured for children because they work so hard during the school year and because they're children. They will have their entire adult lives to be constantly watching the clock and having every minute scheduled. As an adult, I have wonderful memories of long summer days of running and swimming and sometimes climbing up into my tree house with a book.
I think summers should be mostly unstructured for parents, and especially for teachers, and MOST especially teachers who have their own children. And the children should be forced to actually WORK for 8 hours a day, until summer is over and they can go back to relaxing at a school desk while a teacher does all the actual work of teaching them things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,284 times
I think I would concentrate on house cleaning lessons if they are as bad as you posted on another post as to their bathroom(s).

Old 02-21-2011, 04:14 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,147,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
How is working in the tobacco field any different than working in a meth lab or selling crack (other than it being legal)? I personally wouldn't want my child involved with something that causes thousands of deaths each year. And I smoke.
Granted; my father died of emphysema, I would now have it too, if I hadn't quit smoking 25 years ago. But tobacco is a legal product & the farmers who grow it are simply trying to earn a living. As long as people smoke, someone will grow it. Tobacco has done legions of damage to people's health, no argument. But it hasn't caused the social damage of alcohol & I don't advocate banning alcohol. Tobacco money built Duke University & Medical Center, so some good has come of it.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 PM

305 posts, read 655,063 times
My 14 year old plans on hanging out with her friends, going swimming, bicycle riding, hang out more with friends, do drop in kickboxing and ballett...you get the idea.

She wanted to volunteer at the local shelter, but you need to be 18 for that.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Our summers were fun, I had to have structure with the boys all school year, so the summer "I" was off as well. Who wants to have a planned summer anyway, unless of course your going on vacation.

Between bike riding, beach, baseball, the mall, their friends and all the stuff boys do, they really weren't up my ass all summer long anyway....yay !!

They had plenty to do, they didn't need me dictating for them what to do. As long as their chores, (which were few) were done Papa was a happy camper.

We have busses and subways here so I also didn't have to chauffer them around either...double yay !~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting