Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,886,504 times

Advertisements

Nothing beats a great sleepaway camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 PM

852 posts, read 1,367,977 times
Summer stock theater is fun. Both of my girls did it last summer, and they had a great time. Even if they don't act, the kids can paint scenery, work crew, that kind of thing. Volunteering is also great.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,282,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Summer stock theater is fun. Both of my girls did it last summer, and they had a great time. Even if they don't act, the kids can paint scenery, work crew, that kind of thing. Volunteering is also great.
That's how my mother and father met!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,212,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, for pity sake, did I say I was planning to schedule their every waking minute? They will have time to "hang with friends" I just don't want that to be their sole activity. [mod cut in original post]

[mod cut in original post]

All I was asking for here was some suggestions for activiites during the summer for 2 young teens, too young for a job, too young to drive, too old to hang out with Mom all day, something not too expensive because our budget is tight, .................I'd like to hear from other parents with teens that age, what do they do during the summer. Suggestions are appreciated, [mod cut in original post]
Also, other "activities" I could include---passes to the local pool, they can go there by themself now, don't need an adult to supervise, also, perhaps a garage sale, get rid of a lot of junk, ds helped me with a garage sale last year, he earned $400. I let him keep all the money in exchange for helping me to get rid of junk. Good time for garage cleaning, etc.
[mod cut-- response to deleted material]
How about asking your children what THEY would like to do? [mod cut-- rude] What are their interests? How about finding something to do based off of that? Like basketball? Basketball camp. Seems pretty simple to me - and sorry, but stocking shelves will NOT help them with getting into college, lol (nor much of anything at those ages except for getting into a good high school).

Last edited by observer53; 02-14-2011 at 03:53 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,955,979 times
Please let your children RELAX. I don't know if you have heard, but being a kid is stressful these days. Maybe teach them to cook, have them clean the house, but otherwise, let them have fun . . . sleep in, read novels, go to the movies with friends, bake cakes, babysit once in awhile, go swimming, HAVE FUN.

Why do people want to regimen childhood? SAT's now? Ugh. Talk about overkill.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,242,464 times
I'm all for letting my daughter relax, but I want some structure in her summer. She usually goes away for a week w/ church camp and a week w/ her aunt. Last year, she also had horse camp for a week. She loves volunteering at the local animal rescues, especially working w/ the horses. Her last 4 wks before school were pretty rigid w/ band practice (colorguard) everyday from 8-5.

We usually start the summer off lazy for a couple of weeks before making a schedule. I love the fact that she still wants to spend the day hanging out w/ me.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,955,979 times
Do you want them to have fun or to do manual labor for you? If fun, they could sleep in, make breakfast, go bowling, go swimming, walk downtown, walk to the library and stock up on summer reading material, go over to their friend's houses, go to the movies, go skating, go horseback riding, etc.

If you want them to work, they can babysit once in a blue moon.

If you want them to volunteer, they can be a candystriper at a hospital (but please keep it to two hour shifts).

If you want help with manual labor, they can clean the fridge, clean their closets and get rid of their old clothes and stuffed animals, etc., you can have them organize all of your kitchen shelves and drawers.

They can bake cakes for the family, make homemade lemonade, make dinner for the family (tacos, spaghetti, etc.) They can make milkshakes day and night, make popsickles, etc.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:11 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,453,671 times
Re-read my post again. Nowhere did I say they *had* to volunteer and work. Nothing was mentioned about cell phones and I have no idea what their situation is. Some structure isn't a bad thing, kids are kids and I'm sure they'll have time to sleep late and hang out w/ their friends, a good balance is important. Once again, as I previously posted, they can volunteer as much or as little as they like. Most of the memories I have of the summers I was a teen involve the things I did such as going places and doing things, not sleeping late (which I did on occasion but not constantly). There's a host of other things they can do as well, it was merely a suggestion. I'm sure their mother is planning on taking into consideration their likes and interests and they won't be forced into doing anything they don't want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
And what exactly is so wrong with sleeping all day and do nothing in particular during the summer, that's what that is there for. It really is, its summer break, its a time of relaxation and doing things that make you happy.

Why should they have to do stuff like volunteer and work? They are 13 and 14, you people want them to stay children at that age and not have things like cell phones and restrict them but its totally fine for them to put in work during them summer like adults have to.

They have from 15 or 16 on to do crap like that, let them enjoy those carefree summers while they can.

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 02-13-2011 at 11:22 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,218,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My "children" will be 13 & 14 this summer, and I'm trying to come up with ideas for activities for them. The "usual" is no longer of interest to them or age-appropriate.

We used to:

Vacation Bible School, that filled 2 weeks, we hit up 2 churches
YMCA day camp
free movies at the mall
summer camp
swim lessons
various activities at the Y

Well, this summer they want to do more stuff on their own, don't care for Mom tagging along, which I can understand at their age, but transportation will be an issue

Here's some ideas I have, not listed in any order of priority, just my ideas right now:

Church camp
SAT prep courses
Boy Scout Camp
YMCA teen exercise program
a possible summer job for ds at the new Krogers down the road
helpers or assistants at Vacation Bible School
possible Ds might start a lawn mowing service
volunteer at local food bank and pet shelter
DS has been asked to be a volunteer for the local library computer literacy course for kids 6-8, he's fantastic with computers and would work great with that age group

Due to time and money constraints, we are not planning a family vacation this summer

So, what do kids that age do? I realize they will still need me for driving, transportation, etc, although they would prefer at this age I somehow don't exist!

My main concern is that they are engaged in some sort of wholesome activity, I don't want them just sleeping 'till noon then "hanging" with their friends.

So, ideas, please
Thse things sound great and all, but you realize that forcing them to do these things will just annoy them and make them want to do what they REALLY want to do that much more?

I'm sorta surprised that transportation is an issue at that age- I used to ride my skateboard ALL over the place after a certain age, or walk. So much more pleasurable with those danged portable music-boxes or ipoods or whatever those things are called..

Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 AM

2,721 posts, read 5,371,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Thse things sound great and all, but you realize that forcing them to do these things will just annoy them and make them want to do what they REALLY want to do that much more?
She said in another post that her son has done many of the things on her "consideration" list...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting