Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Seems I hit a nerve with SAT prep classes---I never intended they would spend 40 hours/week studying for the SAT, but what's wrong with spending some time with it?

I guess I was somehow wrong all those years I signed them up for summer read programs at the local library, too
As others have suggested, they are way too young to get anything useful out of an SAT prep course. Those are fine, but save them for about two summers from now. Summer reading programs are another thing altogether, and I'm sure you know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I took a computer class and a typing class (back when we used actual type writers) one summer at about that age.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:11 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,170 times
I agree that the best is a balance. Have a few activities for the kids to look forward to and to learn new things, meet new friends. However, I also think they should have lots of time to sleep in and read, play guitar, whatever.

That said, I am very restrictive about screen time all year but even moreso in the summer. Winters are so brutal where I live that I'm of the "get your butt outside when it's nice" school of thought.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:34 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Our oldest son did Junior Lifeguarding for three summers in a row. He'd wake up at 7am, spend all day at the pool doing the JR LG program, come home at 3'ish, eat, then sleep. Really wore him out, kept him busy and in shape, and he loved it. When he was 15 he took the Red Cross Lifeguarding program and became a certified lifeguard. The next summer he was working at the pools and learning how to teach swim lessons. If your kids are interested in swimming, I highly recommend those Jr Lifeguarding programs. They are great! They are also very affordable. For the entire summer - three months - it only cost $90. The program filled up very quickly, though, so we had to be very quick with signing up.

This summer he's also thinking about playing on the city water polo team when he's not working. The kids love water polo.

Ultimate is also an up-and-coming sport. It seems to be very popular with the teenagers in our area and also doesn't cost a lot (we paid $20 + the uniform for the whole year).

Biking and geocaching is also popular with our teenager.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Our oldest son did Junior Lifeguarding for three summers in a row. He'd wake up at 7am, spend all day at the pool doing the JR LG program, come home at 3'ish, eat, then sleep. Really wore him out, kept him busy and in shape, and he loved it. When he was 15 he took the Red Cross Lifeguarding program and became a certified lifeguard. The next summer he was working at the pools and learning how to teach swim lessons. If your kids are interested in swimming, I highly recommend those Jr Lifeguarding programs. They are great! They are also very affordable. For the entire summer - three months - it only cost $90. The program filled up very quickly, though, so we had to be very quick with signing up.

This summer he's also thinking about playing on the city water polo team when he's not working. The kids love water polo.

Ultimate is also an up-and-coming sport. It seems to be very popular with the teenagers in our area and also doesn't cost a lot (we paid $20 + the uniform for the whole year).

Biking and geocaching is also popular with our teenager.

All interesting suggestions, thanks!

The biggest problem I'm facing with my kids is their age---not quite old enough for some activities, too old to be interested in other activities. They're at an awkward age.

Most worthwhile activities are signing up now, so now is a good time to be looking at possibilities.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
At 13 & 14 they should be able to think for themselves of activites to keep them busy. It is also OK for a teen do nothing as well, because sometimes nothing is fun too.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:24 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,147,602 times
We're talking about that too, oldest daughter is 14. I'm checking to see if any tobacco farmers nearby still hire kids for the summer. I did that 8 summers in a row, harvesting & hanging tobacco. Much more mechanized now, & they don't harvest the same way they used to. But it was good money for teens & for sure taught the value of work & money. Anyone who can survive a summer in a tobacco field is better off because of it. Hot, hard, dirty work.

Did someone say 14yr olds can stock shelves, etc.? If so, I'm also checking out 2 supermarkets nearby.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:49 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,930 times
How is working in the tobacco field any different than working in a meth lab or selling crack (other than it being legal)? I personally wouldn't want my child involved with something that causes thousands of deaths each year. And I smoke.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:16 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
Is there a particular interest the daughters have? Like sports, art, theater, dance? When I was 12 my dad and stepmom actually forced me against my will (many tears were shed) to go to a theater camp. I ended up falling in love with it and did it every summer until high school and am still acting in college.

You never know.. a camp might actually change your child's life!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
How is working in the tobacco field any different than working in a meth lab or selling crack (other than it being legal)? I personally wouldn't want my child involved with something that causes thousands of deaths each year. And I smoke.
I think the point is, it's very hard work. George Clooney cut tobacco. You will note he found another line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting