Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:27 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,921,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Lol im not gossiping.
And I need to find some books to bring into work. I can't sit for very long so id have to stand and read.
Not being in school and all makes it hard to like do school work especially being suspended from school currently.
Although I DO have a pocket CRS book and have read parts of that at work before.

I will have to hit up barnes and noble or borders soon.
Why don't you go to your local public library? I rarely buy books- I can just go to the library and get them for free! (of course you have to return them, but why waste your money on purchasing them, especially considering your circumstances?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,658,635 times
Quote:
I will have to hit up barnes and noble or borders soon.
Don't forget the library! Free is good!!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,980,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Why don't you go to your local public library? I rarely buy books- I can just go to the library and get them for free! (of course you have to return them, but why waste your money on purchasing them, especially considering your circumstances?)
Because I've looked at the selection my public library has, I am picky about what I read, unless it deeply appeals to me I can't read it for the world. It has to be one of those books that I just can't put down.

Plus my mom always buys me books. The whole thing with being able to read since I was 3, I guess she still supports me being a somewhat avid reader.

Most the stuff they have isn't current with the times, I like the books that are based during todays time.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,490,309 times
The library? But...but.....not nearly so "cool" as spending money...you know...kind of like a low-tech cell phone....who needs to spend 10 or 20 a month when you can spend 60+!! And look cool while doing it!

Studying while at work can be appropriate depending on the job. I think if it were me, and I was hoping to be considered for potential management positions, I'd make darn certain there was nothing else that I could be doing first though. Is the beverage station cleaned and stocked? Any spills cleaned up? Etc Etc. But that's just me....

Old 02-08-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The library? But...but.....not nearly so "cool" as spending money...you know...kind of like a low-tech cell phone....who needs to spend 10 or 20 a month when you can spend 60+!! And look cool while doing it!

Studying while at work can be appropriate depending on the job. I think if it were me, and I was hoping to be considered for potential management positions, I'd make darn certain there was nothing else that I could be doing first though. Is the beverage station cleaned and stocked? Any spills cleaned up? Etc Etc. But that's just me....
With my customer flow being so low, I have SO MUCH time on my hands and it only takes me 2 hours to clean and stock everything before 11 when I lock the doors count my register and leave. Which means I have HOURS where I have nothing because I can't start to stock and clean anymore than two hours before close because the rare people that do come in make messes and I'm not picking up after people more than necessary.

3-5 I have a steady flow of customers come in.
Once dinner and rush hour is over 5-8 I have maybe 15 people that come.
8-11 is completely dead and my cop friends and friends who get off work at 9 come in to visit between 9-11 and I usually can finish everything between 9:45 and 11pm. I keep the store mopped, cleaned up and stocked if needed before then but usually there isn't much to do.

A certain new loaf and jug killed our business.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,224,648 times
Quote:
Most the stuff they have isn't current with the times, I like the books that are based during todays time.
Even the public library in Podunk Town, Nowhere has books that are "based during todays times". And I'm quite sure there is a librarian who would be more than happy to help you order something that will meet even your discriminating tastes.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Because I've looked at the selection my public library has, I am picky about what I read, unless it deeply appeals to me I can't read it for the world. It has to be one of those books that I just can't put down.

Plus my mom always buys me books. The whole thing with being able to read since I was 3, I guess she still supports me being a somewhat avid reader.

You mean your grandmother buys the books right? Unless your mom has a new income source....

Your public library has plenty of books. And guess what! If they don't have a book you're looking for....they will borrow it from another library for you!! I have no idea how you can be an "avid" reader and yet be so picky you can't find anything at the library.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
You mean your grandmother buys the books right? Unless your mom has a new income source....

Your public library has plenty of books. And guess what! If they don't have a book you're looking for....they will borrow it from another library for you!! I have no idea how you can be an "avid" reader and yet be so picky you can't find anything at the library.
My type of book. Like the last book I read and could not put down was Perfect Chemistry.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,224,648 times
Quote:

My guess is she's already picked between Team Edward and Team Jacob.

(Sorry, txt. It was too good to pass up. )

Old 02-08-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My guess is she's already picked between Team Edward and Team Jacob.

(Sorry, txt. It was too good to pass up. )
I was thinking the same thing. Txt.....you are 21 years old. Those kinds of books are aimed at young teen girls. It's one thing to enjoy those kinds of things from time to time - nothing wrong with a little escape from time to time, but consider broadening your horizons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting