Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,260,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I guess it is selfish. I selfishly wanted my kids to have very strong immune systems, because I'm not a fan of hanging out in doctors' offices or listening to whiny, crabby, sick children. It's my own selfishness that causes me to give them vitamin C and zinc when they start sounding stuffy or sore-throatish. I also selfishly insist that they eat fresh (and when possible, locally grown) produce, and I make them run around and play outside in the sun regularly... I don't want to have an obese, unhealthy child. This whole parenting gig is really all about me, donchaknow?
Don't break your neck falling off your high horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,919,037 times
Yeah I was thinking the same about Whimsy's post. She implies that mothers who cannot breastfeed, are imposing on their children bad immune systems, hang out in doctors' offices, feed their kids garbage solids, don't allow their children to go outside, have obese, unhealthy children.

And - if your children are such impenatrable walls of immunity, how is it they they get sore throats that would require any kind of treatment at all? I mean, they're IMMUNE. They don't go to doctors. They don't get sick, they are never unhealthy...

Oh wait. That's right, it's a myth. Breastfed kids CAN have bad immune systems. They CAN have allergies. They CAN get sick, their moms CAN overfeed them, they CAN become obese, then CAN be whiny. Just like bottle fed kids. They are less likely to be as sick, or have as severe allergies - but yes Alice, there really is a Santa, Santa was breastfed, and Santa does get heat rash when he delivers toys to the tropics. Just like his bottlefed wife.

Yes, this thread really has gotten THAT ridiculous.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,439,438 times
Hey! Whimsy is perfect! Didn't you get the memo?

Old 12-11-2010, 04:48 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,812,362 times
I can't speak for all Moms but you sure as heck won't offend me for questioning why I bottle fed. I have been judged for being a young Mom, a single Mom, a bottle feeding Mom, a strict Mom, a permissive Mom, a "cool" Mom. You name it, I've been called it. Didn't care then, don't care now.

I do have one question though. One big thing I always taught my kids was no secrets, no lies. Why are you teaching your children about sneaking around and keeping secrets? You may think it is normal, but I can assure you if Johnny tells his buddies in kindergarten that he is still breastfeeding, you better put your house up for sale and move.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:25 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,207,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I can't speak for all Moms but you sure as heck won't offend me for questioning why I bottle fed. I have been judged for being a young Mom, a single Mom, a bottle feeding Mom, a strict Mom, a permissive Mom, a "cool" Mom. You name it, I've been called it. Didn't care then, don't care now.

I do have one question though. One big thing I always taught my kids was no secrets, no lies. Why are you teaching your children about sneaking around and keeping secrets? You may think it is normal, but I can assure you if Johnny tells his buddies in kindergarten that he is still breastfeeding, you better put your house up for sale and move.
That is a good point but when I think about it, I wouldn't tell my daughter to keep things a secret. At 20 mos. she already experiences missing out on things because she asks to nurse. Yesterday, I took her to Wannado City and asked her if she wanted to nurse. I forgot her water bottle and she hadn't nursed since 8 am. She refused because she wanted to keep on playing.

We absolutely do not do it in public just like we don't do other private things in public but don't feel the need to mention it.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:34 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,812,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
That is a good point but when I think about it, I wouldn't tell my daughter to keep things a secret. At 20 mos. she already experiences missing out on things because she asks to nurse. Yesterday, I took her to Wannado City and asked her if she wanted to nurse. I forgot her water bottle and she hadn't nursed since 8 am. She refused because she wanted to keep on playing.

We absolutely do not do it in public just like we don't do other private things in public but don't feel the need to mention it.
At 20 mos I don't think it is a concern. I am speaking only of the older kids. The preschoolers. There is no way these kids are telling their playmates they still breastfeed. At least, I hope they aren't.

Knowing that it needs to be kept secret, implies that it is wrong. I don't know, just doesn't seem like a great lesson to teach.

Another point about breast feedding Moms that get other people to criticize them that I don't think they consider. You all (I mean everyone not just CD posters) really have a superiority complex when it comes to the argument. Trust me, you do not care more about your children than bottle feeding Moms, so stop implying that you do. The high horse you live on is what sets people off, not the breastfeeding itself.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:37 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,207,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If a few organizations defer to the opinion of one organization, then there is only one opinion being offered. So there's that one organization and all its sycophants, and there's another organization and ITs sycophants all saying up to 2 years is good, anything over that not necessary.

And no, I don't think it's overindulgent, I think mom spoils her kid because MOM wants to feel better, and isn't considering the kid's need to learn the word "no" above her need to feel better. Just like mom wants to breastfeed past a time that is specifically noted as important, while also breastfeeding her infant, who actually benefits from it, because mom wants to feel better - and isn't considering her child's need to learn the word "no" above her need to feel better.
Well, thank you for clarifying that it isn't overindulgent because it isn't under the right mindset.

My daughter asked to nurse at a friends house so I took her to another room. As soon as she heard laughing, she decided not to nurse and go back to join the other toddlers. Then after 5 minutes, she started putting her hand down my shirt. I told her, "I offered, you refused. No playing." and she listened.

When I think about it, if I hadn't nursed past one I would have done what many other parents do, start the pacifier. I am very glad I didn't because now I realize that the pacifier is something that would always be available to the toddler. If she cries, here's the pacifier. If she wines, here's the pacifier. If she wants something she can't have, quick direct her attention with the pacifier.

Unfortunately for my daughter, I won't whip my boob out in public for when she becomes difficult, so she has learned how to deal and so have I.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:43 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,767,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah I was thinking the same about Whimsy's post. She implies that mothers who cannot breastfeed, are imposing on their children bad immune systems, hang out in doctors' offices, feed their kids garbage solids, don't allow their children to go outside, have obese, unhealthy children.

And - if your children are such impenatrable walls of immunity, how is it they they get sore throats that would require any kind of treatment at all? I mean, they're IMMUNE. They don't go to doctors. They don't get sick, they are never unhealthy...

Oh wait. That's right, it's a myth. Breastfed kids CAN have bad immune systems. They CAN have allergies. They CAN get sick, their moms CAN overfeed them, they CAN become obese, then CAN be whiny. Just like bottle fed kids. They are less likely to be as sick, or have as severe allergies - but yes Alice, there really is a Santa, Santa was breastfed, and Santa does get heat rash when he delivers toys to the tropics. Just like his bottlefed wife.

Yes, this thread really has gotten THAT ridiculous.
ROFL! Uh, no, I was including breastfeeding in with all of the other things that mothers do that are "selfish," like feeding their kids well and sending them out to play in the sun. If you feed your children healthy foods, then you are just as "selfish" as I was for breastfeeding my toddler.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:

I didn't nurse for 5 years, but I know a few who did, and in our "crunchy" crowd, the kids didn't even bat an eye, even when done in public.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
At 20 mos I don't think it is a concern. I am speaking only of the older kids. The preschoolers. There is no way these kids are telling their playmates they still breastfeed. At least, I hope they aren't.

Knowing that it needs to be kept secret, implies that it is wrong. I don't know, just doesn't seem like a great lesson to teach.

Another point about breast feedding Moms that get other people to criticize them that I don't think they consider. You all (I mean everyone not just CD posters) really have a superiority complex when it comes to the argument. Trust me, you do not care more about your children than bottle feeding Moms, so stop implying that you do. The high horse you live on is what sets people off, not the breastfeeding itself.
I'm sorry, but wasn't the whole point of this thread to attack moms who extended-breastfeed? It wasn't started to put down moms who DON'T breastfeed. How is defending what you feel to be right for your child the same as having a superiority complex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting