Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:44 PM

831 posts, read 1,591,915 times

Advertisements

My now 12 yr old was a very calm 2 yr old. More of a thinker. She would rather color than play at the park. At the park she would walk around and look for rocks to collect instead of running around. Now she is still a thinker, her nose is always in a book. My 2 yr old moves all day long though. Kids are who they are. Try not to compare so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,491,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
My now 12 yr old was a very calm 2 yr old. More of a thinker. She would rather color than play at the park. At the park she would walk around and look for rocks to collect instead of running around. Now she is still a thinker, her nose is always in a book. My 2 yr old moves all day long though. Kids are who they are. Try not to compare so much.
You just described my 2yo. She's always drowning in books or coloring. Mostly static activities.
This is all fine and dandy - after all, we're all programmed to "rejoice" if we see such "exciting" signs predicting "academic glory".
HOWEVER: sitting in one place, always looking at a book has its limits even at 16, let alone at 2.

I am a firm believer there is a time and place for everything; at two, it is the time for playing, jumping and running around. I am sure she would do more of that if she had daily encounters with stable, familiar, next door kid neighbors, right in front of the house; but this is something that I have come to give up on as I don't think we will ever be in such a situation unless we change continents.

Thanks again for all advise!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,632,918 times
Quote:
I am a firm believer there is a time and place for everything; at two, it is the time for playing, jumping and running around. I am sure she would do more of that if she had daily encounters with stable, familiar, next door kid neighbors, right in front of the house; but this is something that I have come to give up on as I don't think we will ever be in such a situation unless we change continents.
WRT the bolded....not for everyone it's not, as some posters have explained. We are all individuals, some are naturally more active than others. You can't force a person to be someone they are not. Even on a different continent.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,132,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
You don't have to change continents. You just have to change neighborhoods or perhaps cities.

We had no neighbors with young children when my granddaughter was 2. We moved (job related) and the neighborhood we are in is filled with kids who play outside all the time. Sometimes it is hard to find the right place, but it can be found.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:28 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,047,996 times
Quote:
You just described my 2yo. She's always drowning in books or coloring. Mostly static activities.
This is all fine and dandy - after all, we're all programmed to "rejoice" if we see such "exciting" signs predicting "academic glory".
HOWEVER: sitting in one place, always looking at a book has its limits even at 16, let alone at 2.

Thanks again for all advise!
Some kids just don't run around all the time. I have one. You can't make them play, jump and run if they do not want to do it. When my youngest was little he liked to paint. He liked to color. He liked to build things from legos and blocks. He wasn't all that active but he was very normal. Your dd sounds normal also.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,820,170 times
Just feed your little girl she's hungry,why is this a difficult concept to grasp? No she's not fat not even close don't put your weight issues on your child.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,631,561 times
Quote:
I am sure she would do more of that if she had daily encounters with stable, familiar, next door kid neighbors, right in front of the house; but this is something that I have come to give up on as I don't think we will ever be in such a situation unless we change continents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You don't have to change continents. You just have to change neighborhoods or perhaps cities.

We had no neighbors with young children when my granddaughter was 2. We moved (job related) and the neighborhood we are in is filled with kids who play outside all the time. Sometimes it is hard to find the right place, but it can be found.
You might not even need to change cities or neighborhoods. When my children were little, it seemed there were no children the same age as my children where we live. Suddenly when they turned 6 years old, kids where everywhere. I was always amazed to find out that a child lived two doors down all those years. People often keep their little ones inside or take them to the park. Once they are old enough to play out in the yard without a parent literally right next to them (but sitting in the yard nearby instead), you start seeing children. It's the age they are riding bikes, etc.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:04 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,952,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Correct! Ding, ding, ding!

I was raised on "no sodas, no chips" and so were my sons. None of us suddenly went nuts, or got fat, once we were on our own and could eat whatever we liked. What we "liked" remained healthy foods with just the occasional nibble of something horrendously junky.
I agree. My mom could not eat fructose (fruit sugar) and cooked meals that did not contain sugar at all ( to include "sweet" vegetables like carrots, onions, tomatoes). I did eat fruit, juice, and sweets like cookies from time to time, but most of my meals were whole-food based due to my mom needing to know all of the ingredients to make sure she got no fructose. I now: scrape the frosting off of cake, frequently say certain things are "way too salty" when no one else notices, and am a huge label reader.

You are setting her taste preferences now - I believe junk food will not be that appealing to her as long as you give her the opportunity to try it and reject it.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:59 AM

7,284 posts, read 13,006,040 times
What is the skinny country from which you hail?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:21 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,990,088 times
You are setting her taste preferences now - I believe junk food will not be that appealing to her as long as you give her the opportunity to try it and reject it.

While I agree with this to a degree, once kids get to school, they will have sugar and other junk foods. The other day my daughter's school hosted a "Muffins with Moms" morning (which due to a complaint and lawsuit threat they changed to the more politically correct but insulting "Donuts with Divas" and redid the flyers).

ANYWAY, one of my daughter's friends came up and asked to join us because her mom had to work - big, sad face. I said yes. She spent 20 minutes explaining to me and my daughter that donuts make you fat, you shouldn't eat them, she only eats healthy stuff, etc.

My daughter had two donuts, I had one. Her little friend ate 4.

Yes, if you eat 4 donuts per sitting dear, you will be fat. Too bad her mom spent all that time teaching her that some foods are "bad" and not teaching her moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting