Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:24 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

I am worried about you, and your issues with your daughter not getting overweight. Yes, it is important to guide our children to healthy eating, and choices. I tell that to my daughter, when she wants ice cream, I tell her to think about her choices, and if she really wants to go to yoga for two days straight, because she ate ice cream instead of a grapefruit. My Mom always wanted me to be a tall, thin model type. She was always having an issue with the food I ate. I felt like I was on a diet my entire childhood. It became a power issue, and I had to sneak food. I was a normal size, but she wanted me to be model thin. Well, this has lead to a lifetime of eating discorder issues for me, a terrible relationship with my Mom, all over food. So, I think you have a problem. Unless your daughter had a serious wieght problem, your doctor would tell you. You need counseling to deal with why you don't accept your daughter...she is 2.6, and you are already critical about her eating. She is a normal kid. You are putting your issues on her already. Go get help for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 05:41 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,504 times
Is this for real? She's 2!!! She's not even a chubby 2 year old! Good Lord. Are you going to come back in 13 years and tell us about her eating disorders because her Mother gave her body dysmorphic disorder??

You are worried because some European people would consider a 2 year old fat and she may not grow up to be rail thin????

2 years old!!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:24 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
Is she getting enough protein? Perhaps her low activity level is due to lack of it?
How much protein do children need?

Also, I share the concern that your perception may be distorted, especially as it relates to a 2 1/2 year old.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:34 AM

Because it can't be said enough...SHE'S 2 YEARS OLD!!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:01 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
In my experience children eat when they are hungry and don't eat when they are not.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 AM

13,421 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Kids become overweight/obese from eating too many refined carbs, too much sugar, and too much saturated fat, usually in one sitting. They do not become obese from eating the things you've listed that you feed your daughter. Therefore I highly doubt that your 2.5 year old is fat. How can she be? Unless she's sneaking off to McDonalds in the middle of the night for a quarter pounder with cheese (or a Royale with Cheese, if you prefer) then I don't see how it's possible.

However, it doesn't surprise me that she is still hungry and wants seconds. It doesn't look like she gets much in the way of protein. You can eat butt-loads of vegetable soup and salad but you need some kind of protein in order to feel full.

As for her body shape now, she's 2 1/2!! She hasn't lost the baby look yet. I would understand your concerns if you fed her junk food 24/7. Don't let your paranoia regarding the Evil Americans to cloud your judgment when it comes to feeding your child.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:28 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Is this for real? She's 2!!! She's not even a chubby 2 year old! Good Lord. Are you going to come back in 13 years and tell us about her eating disorders because her Mother gave her body dysmorphic disorder??

You are worried because some European people would consider a 2 year old fat and she may not grow up to be rail thin????

2 years old!!
This!!!

I'd get down on my knees and thank God my daughter enjoyed food and was able to digest it properly. I expected a photo of a fat child sitting on the couch holding a dish of bon bons. Instead we're shown a perfectly lovely, healthy little girl able to enjoy the delights of playing on a slide.

Count your blessings. Please don't go looking for problems that aren't even there.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
My dd ate a lot at 2 1/2. As long as the food is healthy (which it sounds like it is) and she is a healthy weight for her age I would not worry about it.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:49 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I am surely not worried about starving her for being slightly below the 50th percentile in weight - per her ped reading the growth chart.
Again, I still don't know for sure what population these charts represent. If it is the US population, you'd better be sure 50th percentile will not be your truly healthy average. It will be just average for the US.
Your pediatrician is likely using the CDC chart but you can use the WHO chart instead which is much more accurate, IMO. http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand...irls_z_2_5.pdf
WHO | The WHO Child Growth Standards

Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Your pediatrician is likely using the CDC chart but you can use the WHO chart instead which is much more accurate, IMO. http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand...irls_z_2_5.pdf
WHO | The WHO Child Growth Standards
Or you could forget the charts, look at the child and note that she doesn't need to be buttered down her sides to get down the slide and see that she is okay!

My oldest son is 6' and 190 lbs. He eats 5 cheeseburgers and 3 hot dogs if he is at a cookout. Oh no!!! I'm going to drive myself crazy with worry because he has such a big appetite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting