Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:27 PM

11 posts, read 17,875 times

Advertisements

my son's 5th bday is in may and I want to throw him big party.
do you have any ideas, how do you celebrate, did u see something interesting on other bdays.
how much $ is too much to spend on something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 02:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I think most people stick to the rule of not inviting more kids than the kid is years old. Too many sugared up kids can be a miserable time for everybody. What is so special about a 5th birthday? Also most people don't have parties at home anymore which can cost a fortune.

The only reason I can think of to have a big bash is if you would lilke to also make it a big family reunion combined. Since the party will be in May, you can probably have it at home outside if you have a house.

I'm the weirdo parent who does not give birthday parties for my 8 year old girls. They went to a few big parties and were very unhappy. I let them each have a friend over- no gifts- or we go to a special function as a family. Each year I ask if they want a small party or to do a family event and they both always ask for a family outing. Their dad travels alot so family outings are very special to us all.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:58 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
We try and do our kids birthday parties on the day of their birthday. Especially if that is a school day. We invite the whole class plus any otherfriends that he / she wants to invite. On the invitation, we tell the parents that if they want, we will take their kids straight from school. On the day, one of us (wife or me) will go to the park and get ready. The other goes to the school and gets the kids and they walk in a big group. The walk is a bit of an adventure for some of them.

At the park we will have a couple of folding table set up with afternoon snack fruit and junk food.

Then play some games. Running races, hopping races, three legged races, blind races, tag, etc. Big games that involve everyone and lots of physical activity. An obstical course is always fun.
Then have a lollie hunt. If any high schoolers arive, recruit them to help hide the lollies and later to help any little kids who cant find anything to find something. Even if they keep a stash in their pockets to facilitate that.
Sit down play some games like pass the parcel or such.
Try some spectator games like Pinyata. Keep the camera rolling for when one blinfolded kid hits another with the base ball bat.
Try and light the candles on the cake which often blow out in the wind. sing Happy Birthday, Cut the cake. Usually by now there are parents around. Some kids sit around andthere is this communal present opening while other kids will kick a ball or ride their bikes around or go play on some nearby play equipment.
Then finally pack up. Pick up the litter as you do.
Phone the one parent who has forgotten to pick up their kid.
Drive home and be thankful its all over and you don't have to clean the house.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
we still have to get through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, and you are already thinking about a birthday party in May? We had family only parties for the first 4 years. Pizza, cake, presents only. For their 5th we had their first kid party. We had them at bounce house places and aimed to have about the max number of kids allowed (15ish). I thought ahead about it, but didn't make the reservation until about 6 weeks before. All I really had to do is order a cake and make goody bags.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:19 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,061,343 times
My son turned 7 in August and we did this for his 6 and 7 year old bday. We have a pool and a trampoline in our backyard so we basically had the kids either swimming or jumping, we also got a slip and slide and some squirt guns and they all had a blast. There was a pinata and pizza and of course cake. Everyone got a treat bag when they left and it seemed like they all had a blast. For his 6 year old one we did have a bounce house but the kids liked the trampoline more so we skipped it this year.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:37 PM

11 posts, read 17,875 times
yeah but pool and trampoline sounds little dangerous for 40 kids. we wnated to rent castle ( it is not as posh as it sounds cos we have it alot where i came from) and bounce house, peeting zoo, pony riding, tons of snack and other food kids like, clowns, and sleepover. but it would cost around 10,000 euros and my husband thinks it is too much. beeing a mom i can't judge objectively
what do u think

Old 11-04-2010, 12:48 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatnoir22 View Post
yeah but pool and trampoline sounds little dangerous for 40 kids. we wnated to rent castle ( it is not as posh as it sounds cos we have it alot where i came from) and bounce house, peeting zoo, pony riding, tons of snack and other food kids like, clowns, and sleepover. but it would cost around 10,000 euros and my husband thinks it is too much. beeing a mom i can't judge objectively
what do u think
10,000 Euros for a kids birthday party?????? Holy heck I hope you are a millionaire to splurge like that.

There is objective and then there is common sense.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
what do u think
So that's over $14,000 US dollars. Completely ridiculous amount to spend on a child's b-day party! I guess if you a multimillionaire it wouldn't seem like much to you...

I had a nice wedding and reception 11 years ago and the total cost was about $15,000 (thanks mom and dad). My son's 5th b-day party was just over $200.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
You're in Croatia? Stick the 10,000 eruos in the bank or someplace you know it will get some interest and save it. Wait until he's old enough to appreciate it, then come to America and see the sights.

Unless you are independently wealthy or your family has the big bucks spending that kind of money on a 5 yr old is ludicrous. Wait! Are you talking about renting a REAL castle in Croatia? If you are, I'll make myself available in May. I'll even bring him a present.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:55 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,061,343 times
Quote:
what do u think
We only had tops 10 kids show up and I dont think we spent more than $100-125 between favors, cake, pizza and the pinata. But it probably isn't a good idea for that many kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting