Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 06:16 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,889,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
That's just ridiculous and rather "grinch-like" don't you think?
Read how much i spend on candy about 5 posts above. Teens have plenty of fun stuff geared just for them, but the actual act of trick or treating is for the little ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 06:36 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,357,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Read how much i spend on candy about 5 posts above. Teens have plenty of fun stuff geared just for them, but the actual act of trick or treating is for the little ones.

I don't know why you would have to spend 100.00 on candy. Can't you get it for any cheaper? I stand by my opinion that it is rather mean to refuse to give the teens candy if they come to your door in costumes.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I don't know why you would have to spend 100.00 on candy. Can't you get it for any cheaper? I stand by my opinion that it is rather mean to refuse to give the teens candy if they come to your door in costumes.
Trick or treating is for kids not teens....i don't even know why so many parents here are getting pissy over it because when i was a teen you got laughed at past the at of 12 for wanting to go do it. And i do buy cheap candy but we have a neighborhood with a lot of kids is all.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:53 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,838,288 times
I agree with those who think it's rude and mean to deny kids (and yes, I do think teens are still kids) who show up at your door in costume and politely participate in trick-or-treating. To me it just seems really, really unneighborly. That doesn't mean you have to agree that they should be out there, but to actually outright deny them just seems unnecessarily harsh and is sure to cause bad feelings. Is it really worth it to take such a stand? I'd give candy to everyone who comes by, and then if I run out the light goes out.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:54 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,431,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Wow, really? Usually I buy three bags of the assorted fun sized candy bars, which costs me 5 or so dollars each. We have some left over too. I can't imagine spending 65$ on Halloween candy!
LOL! Yeah we usually have a continuous line because a lot of people around here won't give out candy anymore.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the laugh. I can just picture it now:

Johnny: "Trick or treat"
owner of house: "Wow Johnny you sure are tall? How old are you?"
Johhny: "I'm 10"
Owner: "I highly doubt that. You must be 5"7. Can I see some ID please?"
Johnny:
Owner: "I need to see some ID before I hand over any of my snickers"
Johhny:
LMFAO!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 06:56 AM

If we are going to say teens have other things geared towards them, well....so do elementary school kids, preschoolers and toddlers.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If we are going to say teens have other things geared towards them, well....so do elementary school kids, preschoolers and toddlers.
The difference is trick or treating is an expected activity for little kids and not for teens. My point is that parents shouldn't be getting all miffed over it since teens have many other activities to go too geared to them.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,501,889 times
Actually, this brings up a good question, not in context of this thread, but my Mom is not giving out candy this year, she says she just does not have the money to buy any. She says kids don't like the cheap candy she could afford, so...I wonder how many others don't have the money to spend on trick or treat this year...not so much disposable income any longer...little kids or big kids...but it is fun for the little ones, maybe the older kids should be counseled on this issue this year, about how there just is not much money for candy, so let the little ones have fun, and respect the fact that there is not alot of money for candy for older kids now...a reality in many areas...

Old 10-23-2010, 07:37 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,566,363 times
Quote:
since teens have many other activities to go too geared to them.
Sometimes there are parties (if a parent is willing to host one), haunted houses (at least around here) are expensive (around $20 - which is a lot for most teens) and until they are driving they may not have a way to get there. To assume there is always some kinds of activities available for teens is incorrect. Especially those that are "too old" to be trick or treating but perhaps not old enough for some other things....12-15 yo is a very inbetween age and on one hand we have people telling them to "grow up" while on the other we have people complaining that "kids today grow up too fast"....they are caught between a rock and a hard place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting