Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:17 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,554,725 times

Advertisements

Please, before setting foot on the escalator at your mall/department store, please read the warning signs posted at the escalator. Escalators are not an amusement park ride for your children. They are nothing more than huge motorized meat grinders and if you don't pay attention to those rules and your children then it will grind up someone's body part. Don't get on with strollers,...use the elevator. Always keep hold of the handrail. I saw a kid hit the emergency stop button on an escalator that was going down. Several people required stitches and some had broken bones from falling forward, not holding onto the handrail. One kid rode the escalator while sitting on the step. He didn't get up at the bottom and lost part of his thigh muscle to the machine. Don't wear clothing that drags the ground like baggy pants or untied shoe laces. The machine will eat those up. Don't ride with bare or open toe shoes. You run the risk of losing toes. Don't let your kid ride the handrail. Don't let your kid stick their hand into the opening where the handrail goes inside the unit. Some escalators have a safety switch that shuts if off if a kid does this, but not all of them do. Your kid could loose part of his/her hand doing this. You do not want to hear the scream of a child whose body part is being dragged into the machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 09:14 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
Thanks, sailordave! Excellent advice. May I add one more?

When you get to the top (or bottom) of your ride do not take one step off the escalator then stop and look around while you are trying to decide where you are going to go. The people behind you on the escalator have no place to go. While you are standing there wondering where the shoe department is, people are piling up behind you.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:27 PM

613 posts, read 992,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

When you get to the top (or bottom) of your ride do not take one step off the escalator then stop and look around while you are trying to decide where you are going to go. The people behind you on the escalator have no place to go. While you are standing there wondering where the shoe department is, people are piling up behind you.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:47 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,477,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

I've had people in front of me do this and I have literally pushed them out of the way. When they turn around wondering what happened, I tell them there are about 30 people behind you trying to get off the escalator; why would you stop short the second you stepped off???? The usual answer? "Oh, I'm sorry; I didn't know" DUH!

Old 10-03-2010, 01:41 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,554,725 times
I'm one who will speak up when I see children misbehaving on the escalator in a dangerous way even if the parents are standing near the child. In one case I saw a kid riding the handrail. I yelled at him like I was in bootcamp. He got scared and came down off the handrail. The mom asked "why'd you yell at my kid like that". My answer, "because I care about his safety and well being more than you do otherwise you would have stopped him." In another case, two boys were racing each other up and down the escalators and pushing pass customers. I stopped them from getting back on the escalators and loudly told them, "this isn't a toy,...where's your mother?" They claimed they didn't know where she was so I brought them to the nearest salesperson who made an overhead announcement. Took her a long time to get to the jewelry counter. She had gone to the gift wrapping section and told the boys to go play while she waited for the boxes to be wrapped.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
Oh, good, another fear-monger thread.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:45 AM

623 posts, read 1,603,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My thought exactly.

All things considered, escalators are remarkably safe. The odds a person will die from an escalator accident in the United States during the course of a year are 1 in 90,470,000.

Odds of winning the PowerBall Jackpot are 1 in 80,000,000. I better start worrying about what i'm gonna do with all that money.

Really I think your time would be better spent doing something more productive than yelling at people on escalators.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,709,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
My thought exactly.

All things considered, escalators are remarkably safe. The odds a person will die from an escalator accident in the United States during the course of a year are 1 in 90,470,000.

Odds of winning the PowerBall Jackpot are 1 in 80,000,000. I better start worrying about what i'm gonna do with all that money.

Really I think your time would be better spent doing something more productive than yelling at people on escalators.
Just order everything on-line and have it delivered...no worries about mall safety whatsoever.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'm one who will speak up when I see children misbehaving on the escalator in a dangerous way even if the parents are standing near the child. In one case I saw a kid riding the handrail. I yelled at him like I was in bootcamp.
Good for you!

I'd do the same thing if I saw some kid riding on the handrail. I'm not exactly a "put a helmet, knee pads, shoulder pads, wrist guards, mouth guard, safety goggles and a cup for good measure on our kids" type, BUT...

A child riding the handrails? Recipe for total disaster. Just the thought gives me the willies.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,979,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's ok, Paul Blart just wants the mall to be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting