Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:38 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,822,301 times

Advertisements

Wow...you sound like my wife. She HATES escalators. Me, I could care less and take them whenever I can. No, they aren't a toy, but I'm really not concerned about whether or not the mechanical stairs are going to eat me and my kids.

When I saw this thread, a million thoughts about "Christmas shopping safety" came to my mind, but escalator safety wasn't one of them. As for yelling at kids on escalators, well that just has weird written all over it. By any chance, do you work on escalators or have you experienced an escalator related trauma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 02:48 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,992,754 times

Old 10-05-2010, 02:51 AM

Christmas shopping safety-lmao.jpg

Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,612,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Wow...you sound like my wife. She HATES escalators. Me, I could care less and take them whenever I can. No, they aren't a toy, but I'm really not concerned about whether or not the mechanical stairs are going to eat me and my kids.

When I saw this thread, a million thoughts about "Christmas shopping safety" came to my mind, but escalator safety wasn't one of them. As for yelling at kids on escalators, well that just has weird written all over it. By any chance, do you work on escalators or have you experienced an escalator related trauma?
I worked on escalators. I happened to be in the store working on the elevator when I heard a piercing scream. It was a kid who sat down on the step and rode it all the way down without getting up. There was nothing wrong with the escalator. There was something wrong with the kid's mom.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:58 AM

If you still think I'm fear mongering then click the link below, read the story and or watch the video.
Danger On The Escalator - The Early Show - CBS News
(CBS) For many people, the scariest part about escalators is stepping onto that first step, or stepping off at the end. But safety experts say you could get seriously hurt while riding an escalator as well
When Scooter was 4 years old, he was riding down an escalator with his father. His sneaker was rubbing the side, and suddenly got sucked in.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:03 AM

Or this news story
Girl Gets Caught In Escalator - Money News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh (http://www.wpxi.com/money/4766630/detail.html?ewrd=1 - broken link)
A 3-year-old Homestead girl is home recovering from injuries she received after being caught in the stairs of a moving escalator.

The escalator cut her clothing and sliced into the skin.

As consumer investigator Becky Thompson reports, accidents like this happens thousands of times every year.

Nearly half of all children involved in escalator accidents become entrapped in the equipment.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Or this news story
Girl Gets Caught In Escalator - Money News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh (http://www.wpxi.com/money/4766630/detail.html?ewrd=1 - broken link)
A 3-year-old Homestead girl is home recovering from injuries she received after being caught in the stairs of a moving escalator.

The escalator cut her clothing and sliced into the skin.

As consumer investigator Becky Thompson reports, accidents like this happens thousands of times every year.

Nearly half of all children involved in escalator accidents become entrapped in the equipment.
But its simple...don't be a dumbass on the escalator.

I have worn flip flops for 8 out of 12 months of the year for the past 9 years of my life, I have worn them on escalators, mostly because my lazy ass never takes the stairs at the mall but I have never gotten hurt on an escalator, not even as a child.

It's simple, its not rocket science and honestly if you are older than 7 and get hurt on an escalator, either you or your parents really deserved it.

If you do dumb crap and get hurt, you shouldn't be pitied for getting hurt.
You can't fix stupid and you shouldn't feel sorry for it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting