Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,939,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
In my house, the adults are in charge and the daughter does what she's told (most of the time). We have rules, we don't need a contract and penalties.

I don't believe in kids holding adults accountable.
How is having a contract equal to kids holding adults accountable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,177,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I don't believe in kids holding adults accountable.
As I implied earlier, this is what I have found to be the main reason some parents oppose the idea of a contract with their children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'd never give up my line item veto power.

Too old fashioned. When my sons were under 18 Mom and Dad had the final say, not the kids and certainly not a document, and we reserved the right to change our minds to fit the circumstances.
I applaud you for admitting so quickly the reason you oppose contracts.

If a contract is written for a specific goal with specific consquences and rewards, I really don't understand why it's a problem.

If child meets X criteria, why suddenly have a mind change and veto the reward?

Parents who use contracts dont' enter into contracts they don't agree with the terms.

As a result, the contract does not have the final say. The parents had the final say when the parent signed the contract.

It's all having a plan for a specific behavior or goal, not winging it.

I trust my abilities to decide on a plan and stick to it. I am completely capable of drawing up a contract that meets my goals as a parent.

It sounds like parents who oppose contracts are the ones who want the option to change their minds.

But I have no problem keeping my word/promise to my children. That's why I had no problem using contracts.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
Hopes,

I just don't see the NEED for a contract. Maybe it's a generational thing? (I'm a lot older than, probably, most posters on this particular board.) I do like the idea of a mission statement that some families write up now. "We as a family stand for this, this and that." But for me to make up a contract with my kids would never have been necessary. We were consistent in our discipline. Everybody knew what was expected of them as a member of the family. We were a team. A tribe. Still are.

I think we worked more on the "handshake" principle. Good old-fashioned "my word is my bond". (Unless somebody decided to be totally stupid and reckless and somebody was going to get hurt in which case the veto was invoked. That's what it was there for. Never for "denying rewards". That's just insane and bad parenting.)

I see a lot of families that are just hanging together by a thread. So I guess if people think something like a contract would help I'd have to say, "Go for it." (I guess I'm saying I can see both sides.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-22-2010 at 02:37 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 02:48 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,965,668 times
I think the point those of us who see no problem making contracts is trying to get across, is that in some cases, with some kids, it can be a valuable tool.

I see no problem with them - but that doesn't mean we've used them for anything other than the new license. Even at that, it's hanging on the fridge and we've never had the need to go back to it. Our son knows what we expect regarding the rules and driving and he also knows what would happen if he ever broke any of those rules. There has never been any question in our house when it comes to follow through.

But we also have a teen that's been pretty easy.

The point of us filling out the contract for driving? Mostly to reiterate the seriousness of driving and the responsibility that comes with it. That it's not to be taken lightly.

I can see where a contract in other areas for some kids may come in handy. That's all.

Last edited by WhereTheSidewalkEnds; 07-22-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 03:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
The point of us filling out the contract for driving? Mostly to reiterate the seriousness of driving the the responsibility that comes with it. That it's not to be taken lightly.
On that part you get a HUGE thumb's up from me. Here it is:

Old 07-22-2010, 03:26 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,352,366 times
Frankly, I don't have a problem with adults being accountable towards their kids. I think kids are really marginalized in this society. If I say X, I should be accountable for doing it.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
For those of you against contracts for reasons of trust, how do you feel about legal marriage then?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:37 PM

81 posts, read 230,078 times
How bizarre...I guess whatever floats their boat. I see it as an easy way out for parents who have failed to control their kids behavior and feel the need to have it on paper to validate their verbal points.

I dont see anything wrong with the driving one as that can have major problems, anything else for me nope.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affirmed09 View Post
How bizarre...I guess whatever floats their boat. I see it as an easy way out for parents who have failed to control their kids behavior and feel the need to have it on paper to validate their verbal points.

I dont see anything wrong with the driving one as that can have major problems, anything else for me nope.

So is any instution that utilizes written rules and consequences lazy and in need of validation?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:46 PM

81 posts, read 230,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So is any instution that utilizes written rules and consequences lazy and in need of validation?
Thats not what I said. I expect kids to follow written rules/contracts they have with schools, after school programs etc - not so much with their parents. The parents should be able to enforce rules without having to write out a contract with their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting