Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:31 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh they most certainly do! You are absolutely incorrect.

I'm with you...most of the time they don't even realize they are running...kids are just easily excitable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:55 AM

613 posts, read 991,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
But the server is performing their job. Their job entails rushing around a restaurant, as most restaurant managers value speed and timeliness in the serving of their customers. If the waiters are slow, especially in finer dining or high demand atmospheres, the server will lose their job. I think that is why you get the hostile stares.

Most wait staff are over worked, under payed, and undervalued. They don’t have the time to play hop scotch when anyone’s child. They are there to work. Now I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a smaller child to sit perfectly still during an entire dining experience. They will most likely get up at some point, however making a concerted effort to keep them out of the aisles (which are typically small already) should be the priority of all parents with children.

As a previous poster stated this is not only for the safety of those around you, but is for the safety of your child and your table. One collision can cause the tray of hot food that sever is carrying to fall on your child and you, causing severe burns and lacerations.
I agree with u but the OP is assuming that it is the little "brat" that caused the accident and what I am suggesting is that the child may have been in the aisle for no other reason than to use the restroom or because the family may have been getting ready to leave.

I realize the wait staff is under pressure to serve customers quickly, but I believe I the wait staff bears some responsibility in making sure they do not collide with customers. I believe they need to be extra careful in restaurants that children frequent because kids do not reason as well as adults and will forget to watch for staffcarrying trays.

I always slow down on a street where kids are playing on the sidewalks, usually to a speed below the posted speed limit, because I know that although their parents have told them a million times not to go into the street, kids forget, kids are careless, and kids r kids.
From the scant details of the OP, I think it is reasonable to consider that this may have just been an unfortunate accident due to the negligence of both parties.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I'm with you...most of the time they don't even realize they are running...kids are just easily excitable

I was at a restaurant a couple days ago. I ordered at the counter, and, in order to give the kids something to do and get them out of the way at the counter, I told them to go find a table. They started to run across the restaurant, and I had a moment of panic as I thought of this thread.

I realize that there are a lot of kids out there who do not behave and are not disciplined for it. I get that. I just don't think this incident is necessarily one of those cases. Kids run. They have a lot of energy. While it is very unfortunate that a bad injury resulted, to say that the kid shouldn't have been out of his seat. period. or that it is the result of bad parenting is completely ridiculous. Those of you WITH kids who claim your child never did, or would never do something like this are either lying or have selective memory. NO ONE can control their kids 100% of the time.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:18 AM

613 posts, read 991,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post

I was at a restaurant a couple days ago. I ordered at the counter, and, in order to give the kids something to do and get them out of the way at the counter, I told them to go find a table. They started to run across the restaurant, and I had a moment of panic as I thought of this thread.

I realize that there are a lot of kids out there who do not behave and are not disciplined for it. I get that. I just don't think this incident is necessarily one of those cases. Kids run. They have a lot of energy. While it is very unfortunate that a bad injury resulted, to say that the kid shouldn't have been out of his seat. period. or that it is the result of bad parenting is completely ridiculous. Those of you WITH kids who claim your child never did, or would never do something like this are either lying or have selective memory. NO ONE can control their kids 100% of the time.
Exactly! And even the most well behaved child will sometimes dart into someone's path because kids do not watch where they are going.

Also, if the OP's SIL, in an effort to avoid this child, had to maneuver in such a way as to sustain 17 stitches, then she must have been moving at a pretty good clip if she couldn't stop in time without causing herself serious injury.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 AM

638 posts, read 929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
Exactly! And even the most well behaved child will sometimes dart into someone's path because kids do not watch where they are going.

Also, if the OP's SIL, in an effort to avoid this child, had to maneuver in such a way as to sustain 17 stitches, then she must have been moving at a pretty good clip if she couldn't stop in time without causing herself serious injury.
That's not always the case. I worked as a waiter through high school and sustained a severe injury from carrying a rack of glasses. One of the glasses shattered under the shifting weight of the rack I was carrying. The result, a massive cut down the length of my pinky finger. The shattered glass sliced through tendon and all the way to the bone. I was consequently out of work for six months afterwards. One must always remember that wait staff are often times carrying massive weights, weights that become unstable at the drop of a dime. Speed is often unrelated to this. Anytime one must stop and change direction in relatively quick order gravity balances change. While I also don’t know the full circumstances of the OP’s SIL’s injury one still cannot quickly assign blame to her.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I have 4, a 15 year old, a 13 year old and 8 year old twins....I was saying that people WITHOUT children always think they would be such an awesome parent...my husband and I always thought that...like "when we have kids, ours will NEVER behave like that" lol

Yep. One of my favorite quotes:

"I was a perfect parent. Til I had kids."

Old 07-14-2010, 05:06 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post

So true. I try to have foresight and control my kids as much as possible, but even the the most attentive of parents is going to get distracted digging for change or signing the credit card receipt. Accidents will happen. We cannot prevent everything.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
what ever happened to ass whippings?

Old 07-17-2010, 01:09 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I was at an upscale place having dinner tonight with a group of ladies. We sat on the patio and there was a large open area that 4 kids had turned into their personal playground..running, screaming, pulling strings of the overhead shades that were set up, etc. After a few times of not being able to hear ourselves talk a group of us told them to shut up. They were shocked but did quiet down. The one playing with the overhead shades kept right on doing it and I half expected him to start swinging on the ropes like like Tarzan. When one lady said he might hurt himself the rest chimed in "NOT OUR CONCERN". LOL. Really, we like kids, just not the annoying ones.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
what ever happened to ass whippings?

They went the way legalized child abuse and child labor. Thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting