Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:08 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,229,765 times

Advertisements

Why is it that some parents think nothing of allowing their children run wild in public places? My ex- sister in law works in a restaurant. Last night she was badly injured because an unsupervised BRAT ran in front of her while she had some wine glasses in her hand. In her effort not to injure him she wound up with 17 stitches, not to mention lost time at work. Parents: if you can't make your child behave get a sitter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 09:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,744,349 times
Where does your SIL work? My kids don't go tearing through restraunts, but we have had our fair share of mishaps with wait staff in crowded places trying to get to/from a table or to the bathroom. You're obviously upset that your SIL got hurt, but your details on what happened are a little lacking.

Manners and proper behavior are important to teach, but kids are kids and sometimes accidents happen.

PS I think there is an active thread pretty much dedicated to what the little monsters (lol) do in public that is quite long.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:42 AM

171 posts, read 444,850 times
It isn't the kids fault, when you're talking very young children. It's the fact that so many parents operate under the belief that saying NO and setting limits is somehow harmful. As the poster above said, it IS possible that even a well-supervised kid could bolt and do something crazy, butI also agree that a lot of parents--and I'm one myself--are overly permissive and lenient. It's often paired with the idea that kids are fragile flowers, who need to be hovered over in situations where they SHOULD be wild little monsters. Like playgrounds that have "No running" signs. LOL.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:43 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,195,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Why is it that some parents think nothing of allowing their children run wild in public places? My ex- sister in law works in a restaurant. Last night she was badly injured because an unsupervised BRAT ran in front of her while she had some wine glasses in her hand. In her effort not to injure him she wound up with 17 stitches, not to mention lost time at work. Parents: if you can't make your child behave get a sitter!
My question would be, what did the responsible party do to make up for this?

I find it strange that people come on here and call kids "brats" but ask the parents nicely, as in no name calling, to please get a sitter.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM

408 posts, read 810,236 times
I know exactly where you are coming from. I don't have kids (no desire) I find it so irritating to go in public places, especially restaurants while children are standing in their booths staring at you while you eat, parents say nothing, RUDE. I'm just fed up with the misbehaving children in general, not their fault---just results of bad parenting.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:57 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,189,855 times
It's funny to see that we have a couple of threads complaining about children running free and unsupervised in public and then a couple others complaining about how kids are too supervised and overprotected these days.

I agree that running wild in restaurants is dangerous and should not be allowed. As far as banning kids from running free in all public places, I disagree.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,744,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
I know exactly where you are coming from. I don't have kids (no desire) I find it so irritating to go in public places, especially restaurants while children are standing in their booths staring at you while you eat, parents say nothing, RUDE. I'm just fed up with the misbehaving children in general, not their fault---just results of bad parenting.
The standing in the booth thing is definitely rude, but I find that often times people without children have an unreasonable level of expectation, especially with younger children. In my experience, if the worst you have to deal with is a kid standing up in a booth occasionally looking around, then you're lucky.

Of course, I should preface this by stating that there are some restraunts/places that kids simply shouldn't be going to. Also, there are some places where people who are annoyed by kids normal behavior (that they interpret as being over the top rude and annoying) should avoid. For instance, I won't take my kids to the local restraunt/micro brewery, it's just not a place for kids. Conversely, if you want to avoid kids the local diner or Friendly's shouldn't be your first choice.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 AM

I have 5 children and they knew, at an early age how to behave in public. I never expected perfection, just manners and acceptable behavior. The child in question was 8 or 9. More than old enough to know that he should not run in front of anyone carrying something breakable. Had the child been 2 or 3 it would have been understandable as far as the child's behavior, but not the parents. And as for my calling the child a 'brat', I offer no apology. For the record, it's a family restaurant. That however does not excuse the behavior.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,195,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
. And as for my calling the child a 'brat', I offer no apology. For the record, it's a family restaurant. That however does not excuse the behavior.
Nobody asked you to apologize for calling anybody a brat. I was wondering why it is okay to call kids brats but then leave the parents alone. There is no excuse to call anybody a name. Making excuses as to why you call people names is the reason why parents make excuses for their children's bratty behavior.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:53 AM

I see your point, to an extent. While I would never call the child a brat to his face, I feel that my use of the word here is acceptable. As for my polite suggestion to the parents, it wasn't meant as polite. Sarcasm isn't easy to convey while writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting