Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I mean no disrespect to you but in this instance I do not agree with you.

I did not make a 'blanket' statement. What I said has it's basis in many long conversations with people in my life. Some still here and others who,by choice,are not. How is that perceived as arrogance on my part? How can you even consider that possibility until you have shared the experiences that led me to make my observation?

I've read quite a few of your posts and find you to be a wise soul. On this however, I don't agree.
So the implication here is that atheists are sad, angry people who commit suicide. Yeah...I agree that's arrogant and misguided. Atheists are among the happiest, most adjusted people I know, and they don't poke into other people's business and tell them what they have to do with their bodies and lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 10:36 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
I mean no disrespect to you but in this instance I do not agree with you.

I did not make a 'blanket' statement. What I said has it's basis in many long conversations with people in my life. Some still here and others who,by choice,are not. How is that perceived as arrogance on my part? How can you even consider that possibility until you have shared the experiences that led me to make my observation?

I've read quite a few of your posts and find you to be a wise soul. On this however, I don't agree.
pamelaBeurman, if I may and not being disrespectful, I would like to go back to your original statement which was written [ And then there are those people who believe in nothing. They go through life angry and disillusioned, in pain because they want to believe in something and don't know how] Now if I may, I read that statement as though you personally know what these individuals are thinking, as a group. You used the word "They" as a blanket statement, so I'm assuming, and I could be wrong, that you are talking about all nonbelievers and that is where you and I disagree. If your statement had said "Some" or "those that I know of" it would not have been a blanket statement. Granted you are making your statement based on individuals that you know personally, but at the same time you cannot assume that those same people are the example of all nonbelievers. It's the same old mistake when others want to lump all Christians in one group or all Native American as one group.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Quote:
And then there are those people who believe in nothing. They go thru life angry and disillusioned , in pain because they want to believe in something and don't know how.
Not sure what your reply to my post was in relation to. Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding, the point of my post was to clear up this myth that I heard ever since I was a boy, that is, that there is some sort of collective American Indian spiritual practice that the guy I was replying to was implying Each nation is different...that was the point.

What did that have to do with your reply?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:20 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
pamelaBeurman, if I may and not being disrespectful, I would like to go back to your original statement which was written [ And then there are those people who believe in nothing. They go through life angry and disillusioned, in pain because they want to believe in something and don't know how] Now if I may, I read that statement as though you personally know what these individuals are thinking, as a group. You used the word "They" as a blanket statement, so I'm assuming, and I could be wrong, that you are talking about all nonbelievers and that is where you and I disagree. If your statement had said "Some" or "those that I know of" it would not have been a blanket statement. Granted you are making your statement based on individuals that you know personally, but at the same time you cannot assume that those same people are the example of all nonbelievers. It's the same old mistake when others want to lump all Christians in one group or all Native American as one group.
I see your point to an extent. I perhaps should have worded my statement a little better. That however is all I will concede.

I said nothing that was against a persons right to believe as they choose. That,like many things,is a personal choice and I believe strongly in a person's right to make them.

The only time I even used the word atheist was to correct another poster who insisted my statement was a comment against them. Personally, I don't care if people want to believe in the Easter Bunny. It's their right to believe whatever they choose.

I can understand that some would not agree with my observation. I would expect nothing else. I do not see why some see it as a personal attack. Had I intended to make it personal, I would have added a few names to the post.

as for the rest,all I can say is observations are ,like art,subjective. What one person sees,another may not. One may like it,the other may hate it but that doesn't mean that one of them is wrong. It's just a matter of perception.

One question though, are you an empath? If you are then you should understand. If not,you can't understand.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:51 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
[quote=pamelaBeurman;16247014]I see your point to an extent. I perhaps should have worded my statement a little better. That however is all I will concede.

I said nothing that was against a persons right to believe as they choose. That,like many things,is a personal choice and I believe strongly in a person's right to make them.

The only time I even used the word atheist was to correct another poster who insisted my statement was a comment against them. Personally, I don't care if people want to believe in the Easter Bunny. It's their right to believe whatever they choose.

I can understand that some would not agree with my observation. I would expect nothing else. I do not see why some see it as a personal attack. Had I intended to make it personal, I would have added a few names to the post.

as for the rest,all I can say is observations are ,like art,subjective. What one person sees,another may not. One may like it,the other may hate it but that doesn't mean that one of them is wrong. It's just a matter of perception.

[One question though, are you an empath? If you are then you should understand. If not,you can't understand.]/quote]

To answer your question, yes, and I do understand what you're saying, but that is also why I questioned you.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
What is all this Dont believe in nothing nonsense!!!! I believe in myself, friends, family and the fact that I only get one chance at life and I better enjoy it!! I am as happy a person as anyone can be. We believe in things, just not the same invisible things you do.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Not sure what your reply to my post was in relation to. Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding, the point of my post was to clear up this myth that I heard ever since I was a boy, that is, that there is some sort of collective American Indian spiritual practice that the guy I was replying to was implying Each nation is different...that was the point.

What did that have to do with your reply?
It wasn't meant to be a reply to your post and I owe you an apology.
Your post set my train of thought in motion about a conversation I had with a friend shortly before her death. What I posted were my musings, not meant to be more than that.
By the time I noticed,it was too late to edit.
Please accept my apology for the error.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:08 PM

[quote=ptsum;16247455]
Quote:
I see your point to an extent. I perhaps should have worded my statement a little better. That however is all I will concede.

[One question though, are you an empath? If you are then you should understand. If not,you can't understand.]/quote]

To answer your question, yes, and I do understand what you're saying, but that is also why I questioned you.
Myself and both of my sisters as well as two of my children. I usually don't make it public, it tends to make people think you need to be on medication.

I see no difference between us and a family who has several musicians or artists included. Unfortunately,others do.

Anyway, I didn't mean to cause a problem. I just wish that some people would quit looking for hidden meanings, sometimes things are what they are and nothing more.

Be well.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:21 PM

430 posts, read 583,541 times
Quick comment: atheists are not "people who believe in nothing." We can be (and often are) quite spiritual, we just do not believe in a specific and formulaic mob-standardized supernatural being who will take care of everything if we profess our unthinking irrational belief in Him/Her/It, and the book of fable written by others about Him.

If that is in fact what you think, you should rethink. In the meantime I'll remain insulted.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
What's strange fire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism