Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:07 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,946,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I am a Wiccan and yes, I do practice witchcraft. I became dissatisfied with Christianity and wanted to find a faith that made more sense to me, I also wanted a more interactive faith. Maybe because I am part Native American, I've always had a great reverance for the natural world which is often demonized in Christianity. Witchcraft is so misunderstood and maligned when all it really is is like prayer mixed with ritual. I'm still fairly new to this path so I'm certaintly no expert and I'm sure there's others on here who are much more well versed.

if you are part native american and want to learn about your people and their traditions then you need to contact them ask relatives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 PM

"American Indians do it by dancing and chanting for the Great Spirit to come: American Indians do it to conatct their animal spirit guide: all of this is by seeking another spirit to receive."

ummm no- where did you learn this? the new agers guide to native americans?

Old 10-10-2010, 09:14 PM

430 posts, read 583,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Some Sign and Wonders are from The Lord Jesus and all sign and wonder must be discerned through Gifting of the Holy Spirit, .... But other strange fire and Hindu kundalini serpent demon spirit can move through people into convulsions, by yoga transcendental meditation ideas..... Other demon spirit called gnosis and occult and familar spirit demons can bring visions that can deceive New Coverts to Jesus Christ , where Jesus is reaping through HIS harvest, and these New converts must get more Word of God and water Baptised and Baptised in the Holy Spirit and cleaned more to rid them of these spirits that can bring confusion..... The defination of witchcraft on believer in Christianity is the rebellion against God and HIS Word and purpose.... for example when King Saul the Benjamite rebeled against the Word of God from the prophet Samuel, and Samuel called that witchcraft, another idea is unforgiveness is the same as murder and called the rebellion of witchcraft by Apostle Paul in the Word of God.....Jesus Spirit will bring redemption of all these spirit and sin through repenting and praying the Blood of Jesus over these people and entire churches... Pastors have the authority to clean their church with Jesus Blood prayers which is the will of God so Jesus can do other things in these churches
Oh my on my oh my...... see what I mean? So assumptive and spectacularly wrong.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 PM

430 posts, read 583,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
"American Indians do it by dancing and chanting for the Great Spirit to come: American Indians do it to conatct their animal spirit guide: all of this is by seeking another spirit to receive."

ummm no- where did you learn this? the new agers guide to native americans?
Well, see jaada, there was this Apache tourist group working the crowd down in Arizona at an Interstate rest stop. (Hey, a tribe's gotta make a living, right?). "John Wayne's teeth, ya-haaa, John Wayne's teeth..."*

Sigh. Institutionalized ignorance at it's finest.

* from the indie movie "Smoke Signals".

Old 10-10-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
Well, see jaada, there was this Apache tourist group working the crowd down in Arizona at an Interstate rest stop. (Hey, a tribe's gotta make a living, right?). "John Wayne's teeth, ya-haaa, John Wayne's teeth..."*

Sigh. Institutionalized ignorance at it's finest.

* from the indie movie "Smoke Signals".
lmao -hey victor!

Old 10-10-2010, 11:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,202,831 times
Smoke Signals is a great movie!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 AM

223 posts, read 269,088 times
To be fair, I can't judge anyone too harshly for not understanding Native American beliefs and practices. I'm not Native American. I was very interested in the beliefsets and their variations from region to region of Native Americans. What occurred to me as I read, and studied, and spoke to numerous Native Americans, is that it's a culturally ingrained system. While I can understand the prevelance, or the idea of Cherokee beliefs around harmony and balance, or I can comprehend the story of the beaver and the squirrel, or Sun and Moon, it's a bare bones, barely scratching the surface of what's actually going on understanding. As is the reasoning behind Navajo having both 'male' and 'female' Hogans, where the Hogan itself, actually has a sex. When asked my Navajo friend simply informed me that was how they were told to build them. The point is, there's a common sense behind Native American beliefs, but it's not a common sense that's available to people unless they've been brought up in that culture, and it's not the same as non-native Americans spiritual 'common sense'. The rest of us, can only be interested observers in my opinion, on the understanding that we'll never really get it.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,995,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank316 View Post
To be fair, I can't judge anyone too harshly for not understanding Native American beliefs and practices. I'm not Native American. I was very interested in the beliefsets and their variations from region to region of Native Americans. What occurred to me as I read, and studied, and spoke to numerous Native Americans, is that it's a culturally ingrained system. While I can understand the prevelance, or the idea of Cherokee beliefs around harmony and balance, or I can comprehend the story of the beaver and the squirrel, or Sun and Moon, it's a bare bones, barely scratching the surface of what's actually going on understanding. As is the reasoning behind Navajo having both 'male' and 'female' Hogans, where the Hogan itself, actually has a sex. When asked my Navajo friend simply informed me that was how they were told to build them. The point is, there's a common sense behind Native American beliefs, but it's not a common sense that's available to people unless they've been brought up in that culture, and it's not the same as non-native Americans spiritual 'common sense'. The rest of us, can only be interested observers in my opinion, on the understanding that we'll never really get it.
Interesting post.

But there are those of us who were not inundated culturally in our culture. Often we still seem to understand, on a spiritual level the faith, of our ancestors.

I had a Winnebago friend who was taken from his people as a baby and raised "white" and "Christian." His wife was Tewa. Because he was not Tewa he could not be a member of the societies nor be heard in kiva. But he was spiritual and how he discovered his spirituality was on his own.......when he visited his ancestral lands in Wisconsin and met elders of the Winnebago, his faith was in tune with theirs.....not Tewa. He did not know the rituals, but his spirituality was Winnebago. I found it interesting that despite the lack of social input, his creator brought him to where he needed to be.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 AM

223 posts, read 269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Interesting post.

But there are those of us who were not inundated culturally in our culture. Often we still seem to understand, on a spiritual level the faith, of our ancestors.

I had a Winnebago friend who was taken from his people as a baby and raised "white" and "Christian." His wife was Tewa. Because he was not Tewa he could not be a member of the societies nor be heard in kiva. But he was spiritual and how he discovered his spirituality was on his own.......when he visited his ancestral lands in Wisconsin and met elders of the Winnebago, his faith was in tune with theirs.....not Tewa. He did not know the rituals, but his spirituality was Winnebago. I found it interesting that despite the lack of social input, his creator brought him to where he needed to be.

An interesting story, which once again, seems incredulous to me, for all the reasons I stated in my original post, not because it is in fact inherently incredulous.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:04 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,995,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank316 View Post
An interesting story, which once again, seems incredulous to me, for all the reasons I stated in my original post, not because it is in fact inherently incredulous.
Your own ancestors understood far more than many of us do. In part, it was because much of their life was "quiet" with many times during the day where one could be alone. Quiet time (prayer, meditation, etc) is essential to getting to where you can understand the creator....to where you can hear the creator. It is difficult,initially, that find that quiet place within you where you can hear the creator. We are so accustomed to thinking and worrying and stressing and responding that we are (first of all) always tired. So when we find a time to be quiet, we often fall asleep. secondly, we are so accustomed to instant response and stimuli that it is often impossible to turn off the world and just be left alone.

Mohammed taught this and was so convinced of its importance that he decreed quiet times five times a day. Jesus talked about this. Buddhists seek that same quietness. Our ndn forefathers sought the spirit guides and the centering of ourselves with the creator.....all while being alone, and quiet and looking and listening inward. All faiths, all religions, all belief structures were founded, first and foremost, on quiet times where a person can hear the creator.

I have found that many people have never had that quiet as part of their lives, and as such are frequently incredulous. But I have found that once a person can develop that quiet within themselves, they can go there easily, frequently and regardless of the external stimuli. Christians talk about a "closer walk" and that one should live their lives in constant prayer.......but they tend to forget that it is that quiet that has to be developed to allow you to do that.

But the creator will share with you what you need to do, how you need to act.......and whether it is blessing your dinner or smoking to the four corners or kneeling to the east the ritual is irrelevant.......it is the quiet in you that must be nurtured.

Then your incredulity will be transferred to those who don't understand when it is really so simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism