Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 AM

7,965 posts, read 11,761,841 times

Advertisements

I agree!! Sometimes we just have to learn to hold our tongues or, as another poster said, just ignore the thread and move on. Admittedly, I have allowed others' behavior and/or comments get me feeling pretty snippy and I have said things that I probably shouldn't have said. The difference though? LOL.....is that I would have said them to the person's face if I was in the same physical space as them. I wish more people would think before they get mean though....unfortunately, it seems like some folks use CD to take out their frustrations on other people....and that's just not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 06:48 AM

11,864 posts, read 11,076,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl-r View Post
When somethings are written by one individual, those written words have a thought, purpose and meaning but when those same words are read by another individual, they are perceived to have another entirely different meaning. Communication between two or more people at times is a struggle when it was never meant to be.
Now with that being said some folks take advantage of their anonymity and become hateful and very insulting with the direct purpose to do so. I find those individuals to be shallow and without any purpose but to disrupt and create havoc with their own purpose and immature behavior. Those same individuals I believe struggle in life and have an inner battle within themselves.
This is so true - when writing whether on a forum or an email, one's tone does not come across and people can have different perceptions over the exact same sentence, each reaching separate conclusions as to it's meaning. One reason I hate emails sometimes lol because some I have to agonize over to make sure I've 'worded' things just so, in order for the receiver to understand the true intent - once you hit send, well . . . . Give me a face to face or telephone call any day

But as Dbl-r and others pointed out, being behind a computer where unlike "Cheers" lol no one 'really' knows your name, there are some very sad people who thrive on controversy, drama and wait for an opportunity to stir the pot, shall we say. Might not even participate in a thread so do not know the entire history or sequence of a particular topic, then pounce to cause problems. I truly feel like Dbl-r said these people are struggling in their own lives and fighting inner demons, so they act out in an arena that provides them with anonymity. (gotta love that report button)

Old 02-16-2010, 07:31 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,254,634 times
Truer words were never spoken!!! Just go to P&OC forum.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:56 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,495,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
The anonimity the internet provides to give some people free rein to insult and harass others.
I think those people must have miserable lives. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol. Look we all won't agree on everything and that's a good thing but I hate when people attack. If you don't like what someone posted then stay away.

I get a few occasional mean posts on my story threads but there are so many more nice ones. The good ones kick butt over the bad ones

If we were all in TN you would see a lot more "Bless Your Heart" after the intentionally mean posts, lol.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,772,237 times
Some people are just bitter and angry and like to stir the pot....AVOID at all costs.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,695,496 times
I can usually predict who will have the words, "not a member" under their nic.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 AM

54,505 posts, read 33,948,603 times
I always try to remain annoy-nomous.. but that never seems to work.. I guess I'll have to change my screen to Anonymous..

Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,370,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
The anonimity the internet provides to give some people free rein to insult and harass others.
I totally agree. Sometimes the stuff people write is very condescending, mean spirited and critical of others. For example, someone wrote to me about my grammar and abbreviations and said I must not be educated. Come on, give me a break this not formal writing and it should be for fun for the most part. I think personal attacks are just wrong and uncalled for. U can disagree with respect.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,356,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
U can disagree with respect.
Unfortunately, many people can't accept other people's opinions. If you don't share theirs, you're not good...

Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,618,179 times
Sad, sick, selfish, and snippy people just do their best to make others the same. It's a shame that there are so many who feel the need/desire to spread their hatred around. And for those of us who unintentionally may convey the wrong meaning in our posts/comments, try reading aloud your comment prior to actually posting them.

I've found a few of mine whose real meaning could have been misconstrued. May have left out a word or put a word where I shouldn't have. Have to be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics