Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I Need a Few Things Quickly, I Turn to...
Wal-Mart 26 25.24%
Target 54 52.43%
I Like Them Both About The Same 9 8.74%
I Prefer Mom-and-Pop Stores 14 13.59%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:44 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,912,979 times

Advertisements

TARAGET hands down. Before we had the SuperTarget close by I still drove past 2 superww's to get to the other SuperTarget. I HATE ww and REFUSE to even drive thru their parking lot. Target is sooooo much cleaner, friendly, better quality, etc and I have also found that most of the time their prices are LOWER than ww (at least from what others have said they paid for the same item at ww as I've not been in one in years). Target has MANY bascart deposits in their parking lots whereas ww only puts in 2 or 3 for the entire place and then they never round them up so the parking lot is COVERED in carts. People let them go and they will push them into other cars, no respect at all from the store operations nor the people that tend to frequent such places. Then the parking lot itself is DISGUSTING! How can anyone even get INTO the store as they have never actually cleaned the parking lot and your feet stick to the pavement. You will routinely see a service at the Target gathering their shopping carts and washing them. I've yet to get one cart at Target that was broken, filthy, dirty, etc. Target employees are aslo much nicer. I understand that it is not the typical floor worker at ww that is to blame but how they are managed shows. When I did shop there I had a bad experience, I needed something from the top shelf and the signs say ask for help. I found an assoc on the next aisle and he gladly came over and assisted me. As he was coming down the ladder a dm came up and literally jumped him in front of me wanting to know why he was on THAT aisle and why was there a mess on the endcap. The endcap you could tell had been rummaged thru and this was in the toy section (well duh, some kids just went thru it and it is the holidays). I felt bad for the guy getting in trouble for helping me. Whereas at Target they have associates all over the place and anytime you walk past one they always ask if they can help you. The cashiers are super nice, friendly, knowledgable and efficient. I've even been checked out by the managers when it has been crowded. Give me Target ANYDAY - that other place could close up for good and I would not care less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 09:17 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,135,279 times
Even if you twist my arm, and tell me I will save more, I rarely (read not more than 2-3 times) entered a box store. I'd rather drive to another town than buy at W and did, and can't even remember stepping foot in a Target.

And, in fact, when I wanted a new digi, I called W in town, and asked about a particular brand/model; they quoted a price and told me it was out of stock. I called NYC and bought it for less, with overnight shipping at a private electronics store.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:49 PM

64 posts, read 225,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
When I step into a Wal-Mart, I feel like I need a good sanitation bath when I leave there. Theyre disgusting. Give me Target anyday.
I'm with you there!!!! AMEN!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:46 PM

196 posts, read 1,038,363 times
Unfortunately Walmart has me trapped. Household goods, groceries, haircuts, eye glasses, prescriptions, and oil changes. All under one roof. I live within a half hour of 5 supercenters and 1 regular walmart. I'm trapped, but it is convenient.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:51 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,517,253 times
Target is cleaner. Walmart has lower prices and more stuff. I prefer WalMart due to selection. Target because I dont feel like I have walked around in a dumpster full of germs and dirt. Overall, Walmart.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:19 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,307,454 times
Target is my first choice. Walmart is closer, but it usually takes forever to check out of that place, whereas Target has plenty of checkout lanes, so you don't have to wait a week to get out of there.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:04 PM

63 posts, read 212,713 times
Wal-Mart. I don't know where you all are going, but the one I go to is tidy and clean. The quality of merchandise has imporved a lot over the last couple of years, too. Although, groceries are bought locally...cheaper.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:13 PM

615 posts, read 1,376,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
As a big-box retail employee myself, I wouldn't want to put a dime into the pocket of a corporate goliath that mistreated its workers. There may be a Wal-Mart within walking distance of my home, but I'll still drive the eight miles to Target.
If Wal-Mart treats its workers so bad, then why don't those employees who are working there leave Wal-Mart and go to work for Target, Costco, Home Depot, Staples, PetsMart, Lowe's, or any of a number of other stores (these stores and many such others are located near Wal-Marts in the Phoenix metropolitan area - in some cases, right across the street). Workers are free to move from one employer to another.

Ken Akerman

Old 05-11-2007, 03:13 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,383,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO~orphan View Post
Wal-Mart. I don't know where you all are going, but the one I go to is tidy and clean. The quality of merchandise has imporved a lot over the last couple of years, too. Although, groceries are bought locally...cheaper.
We have 2 Walmarts in the area and both of them are dirty and the people are rude. Let alone the last couple of times I went there they were out of everything, the first time I thought maybe the truck was late but the same thing on the second visit.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:14 PM

615 posts, read 1,376,451 times
Default Wal-Mart is clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
When I step into a Wal-Mart, I feel like I need a good sanitation bath when I leave there. Theyre disgusting. Give me Target anyday.
I was in the Wal-Mart in Tempe a few days ago, and it looked very clean. I was there about 11:00 pm and employees were scrubbing the floors as I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics