Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I Need a Few Things Quickly, I Turn to...
Wal-Mart 26 25.24%
Target 54 52.43%
I Like Them Both About The Same 9 8.74%
I Prefer Mom-and-Pop Stores 14 13.59%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:15 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,918,831 times

Advertisements

dirtiest walmart i have been in, Bennington Vermont, omg and south philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 03:24 PM

615 posts, read 1,377,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Ditto here... not enough employees at the check outs and it takes forever to get in and out of there.
I would agree with that. That's the biggest drawback I have found to shopping at my local Wal-Mart. The store is very crowded and the store doesn't have enough people working at the check-out counters, and the lines get long even at the self-service check-out stands. I don't really like to check-out my own groceries - I don't shop at a store to provide them with free labor. Apparently one of the ways that Wal-Mart keeps its costs low is by keeping the number of people that they hire to be low.

I shop at both Wal-Mart and Target. It is true that Target is more popular in upscale areas, like Ahwatukee, Paradise Valley, north Scottsdale, and Fountain Hills. The Wal-Mart in south Tempe attracts many customers from the nearby areas of south Phoenix and Guadalupe, places with many lower-income, working class and minority people.

Ken Akerman

Old 05-12-2007, 05:46 AM

859 posts, read 3,325,381 times
I grew up in an area that had no Walmarts. So when I moved to another town, I went a few times to see the craze and I think it is disgusting. I do randomly go there, but always in a pinch, say if i really need something and just happen to be passing it.

The workers as a whole are flat out rude. I used to work in retail in high school and college, and I had to be nice to the customers, it was the right thing to do. These people don't seem to give a flying whatever about helping anyone out. The one Walmart near my boyfriends house is literally dirty. I don't know when was the last time they swept the floor. And the people who shop hard core in the store are flat out scary and not polite.

Most Targets by me on the other hand are very clean, the people are nice, the products are nicer. And although for clothes I am a designer addict, I see cute things in Target all the time. They have a lot of nice brands of chocolate and other little items in Target that Walmart doesn't. I only bought clothes in Walmart once, to wear as a costume.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:20 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,420,133 times
OK, Wal Mart is cheaper, I go there. They also have alot more of the things I am looking for that I know they don't even have at Target. Then on the other hand, Target is much neater, the people aren't running you over in the isles....thats when I have my every other Saturday nervous break down...at Wal Mart going grocery shopping) I did need a new waterpik for my son the other day and WM has stopped carrying them, I knew I could get it at Target, so off we went! I don't judge the people who work at either place, they have jobs, they could be at home collecting welfare or on the street selling drugs, or whatever, but they have a job.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:28 AM

14 posts, read 29,340 times
Wal-Mart is for [no offence to anyone] the lower class people. NOT EVERYONE. But I see lots of people who don't look like good influences to my child.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:28 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,998,172 times
swb: sounds like you've got a good thing going at Lowe's. If I were you, I would keep the job. My point is that many other employers treat their employees as Wal-Mart does. BTW, what is the brand name of your walkie-talkies?

As to whether I prefer Target or Wal-Mart, WM is closer, has better prices and our local Target can get trashy looking and picked-over.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:22 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,974,000 times
Walmart is closer, but I prefer Target. Better produce, selection, and generally a much cleaner place with less rude people filling up the aisles.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:33 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,783,507 times
I live Super Wal-Mart...I don't have tons of extra time to go here and there...but as for atmosphere I like Target, so I put about the same.
MBG

Old 05-13-2007, 03:43 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,089,123 times
Target because it's less of a nut house than Wally World.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:37 PM

279 posts, read 473,867 times
walmart for sure...i don't have to see all the snobs who think they deserve to walk on gold-plated floors when buying paper towels. Also don't have to deal with people who freak out when they see a tatoo or a working class person.
Also don't have to deal with all the walmart haters who think walmart is responsible for all the world's problems.
Target used to look like Kmart a while back, then they added all the fancy interior work and raised their prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics