Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I Need a Few Things Quickly, I Turn to...
Wal-Mart 26 25.24%
Target 54 52.43%
I Like Them Both About The Same 9 8.74%
I Prefer Mom-and-Pop Stores 14 13.59%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:01 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,672,622 times

Advertisements

It is really according to what I need.

If it is food related, I usually go to a local grocer, they are friendlier, easier to get in and out of, and hey, I like to support small business.

If it is something that I could pick up at the dollar store, I usually go to Dollar General, there is one 5 minutes from my home.

I do go to Wal-Mart to buy most of my books, hey they are a bit cheaper and we don't have a Target.

IF I can't find the book I am looking for, I usually just come home and order thru Amazon.

For clothing, I prefer to go to shops, I am short and hard to fit so when I find a store that carries clothing that fit me, I usually stick with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 12:00 AM

79 posts, read 277,653 times
I shop online at Walmart, no worries about crowds, parking , or hateful checkout girls....have not shopped Target online yet, have browsed there thou.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:45 PM

667 posts, read 2,889,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1963 View Post
Target used to look like Kmart a while back, then they added all the fancy interior work and raised their prices.

The one target about a quarter of a mile from my house is still kind of funky. I rarely ever go there simply because I don't think that it's worth my time. I will add though that it is not a super target. The closest Super Target to my house I hate going to simply because it's EXTREMELY difficult to get into and out of at any time of the day. I still feel like the engineer should be shot for their plans

Wal-mart is where I go for most of my general shopping. Money to me is king, so I'm going to shop where they have the best prices. Convience is also important. Hell, I rather enjoy being able to buy squirrel food, toothpaste, a fresh pineapple and a car battery. While not up to my level of cleanliness, it's also not nasty where I shop. Fairly close by is also a Wal-mart grocery store where the cleanliness is the best I have ever seen in a store. Prices are higher there though

So to me, Wal-mart = Target = K-mart. Same store with different names. Walmart wins out due to convience.

(I will add though that the dirtiest, nastiest store that I've ever been inside of was a Wal-mart in Little Rock)

Old 05-22-2007, 12:51 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,532,107 times
I prefer Target. They have better looking bikinis and such. I do my swimsuit shopping there, if I can't go to a real swimsuit store.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:08 PM

3,300 posts, read 9,194,072 times
WalMart...here it's less than 2 miles away. Hove no clue where the nearest Target is located.

Where I just moved from, WalMart for everything except food (it was not a Supercenter). Target never had what I needed for a reasonable price...just too expensive. But hey, it WAS at the mall so it had to be to afford the sq footage. There was a Meijer's there, supercenter type and the people on this thread that think WM is for the lower class, try a Meijer's...even worse!

The WM here is only a couple of months old, aisles are nice and wide, it's very clean. People are as nice as can be. AND it sells gas cheaper than any body around it...actually about the same price as Sam's or Costco which is in town about 8 miles away.

What I don't like about supercenters is also what I DO like about them. They have everything under one roof.

With gas as expensive as it is and getting worse, going to one store for everything makes sense. Liz

Old 05-22-2007, 08:28 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,656,240 times
I prefer Target - however, the Walmart in Scottsdale (off 101 by Sams Club) is not as bad as some of the others around the valley here that I've been to. Target has a lot more style to its inventory and is much cleaner and neat. Some Walmarts remind me of Kmart and how many of those are just run down now. I don't like Kmart.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:58 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,227,334 times
My MIL in FL has a wonderful Wal-Mart, but here we have one that you can get mugged in the parking lot! I go for my meds and a few of the lower cost items, but for house shopping I love Target. Clothes I will go to the mall or shop Goodies, Stein Mart, etc.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:06 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,366,463 times
I haven't been to a Wal Mart or Target in over seven years! I think when I return to the States it'll be Target that I'll head to first. I used to like their homewares, which I now do believe are being designed by a very famous interior designer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics