Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,381,536 times

Advertisements

Over the last year my husband and I have donated time, money and other stuff to 10 plus charitable organizations.

Last night we got yet another call (even though we are on the do not call register) from a recognised organization asking for monetary support. When I informed the caller that we just gave to another branch of this organization, he got extremely mouthy and rude. I was completely shocked, especially when this person's line of duty is to protect and serve.

I am more than willing to give, but I refuse to be bullied into it or verbally assaulted when I am unable!

Can I report this? Are charitable organizations exempt from the do not call register?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 07:36 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,320,308 times
"I'm sorry. My husband and I pick the charities we donate to every January 1st., for that year.
We thank you for your call and the good efforts of your charity. We will put yours on our list for review for next year."
The End.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:55 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,281,502 times
Yes, charitable organizations are exempt from the Do Not Call Registry - I have the same issue and just say 'if you are calling for money i'm on welfare, or disability, but good luck." and then they pretty much tell you to have a nice day and hang up.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:05 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,637,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
Over the last year my husband and I have donated time, money and other stuff to 10 plus charitable organizations.

Last night we got yet another call (even though we are on the do not call register) from a recognised organization asking for monetary support. When I informed the caller that we just gave to another branch of this organization, he got extremely mouthy and rude. I was completely shocked, especially when this person's line of duty is to protect and serve.

I am more than willing to give, but I refuse to be bullied into it or verbally assaulted when I am unable!

Can I report this? Are charitable organizations exempt from the do not call register?
It very well could have been a scam and not a real charity call. There are tons of calls going around from variously named 'Texas Police' organizations wanting donations and they are NOT connected to any police organization at all. So, if you have the name they gave, or any contact information then do a little online research. Then you might find it was a scam and you can try and report it to authorities.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:14 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,749,727 times
Alot of scammers out there for sure. When I ask them for their address so I can mail them something when I get back on my feet they usually hang up.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:18 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,816,420 times
I was a bit puzzled when I got a call not too long ago from an organization giving jobs to the blind and they said they send merchandise and then you pay them for it when you get it, it was like really expensive household stuff but I agreed to buy some light bulbs or something and it never came...could have just been a glitch but I was trying to remember if they asked for a donation over the phone or not. Yea it's hard to know, I know people can get into the phone system and change how the caller id comes up. How are the real charities to be trusted?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,528,667 times
This is another of my pet peeves. Telling them we already donate doesn't help in the least. And yes, they are exempt from the "Do Not Call Registry". If they call more than 2 times in one week, I now block them from calling. Gives me great satifaction when the phone rings just once and stops...my caller ID shows me the blocked call.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,863,559 times
My cell phone has over 50 listings for "telemarket". When a call comes in it announces, "Call from telemarket."

People really get a kick out of it when it goes off in public.

If you have the number from caller ID Google it. You will usually get an idea about the people calling from the responses.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:13 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,192,410 times
Tet
A lot of these fundraising places calling for money for
Fire Fighters
Police etc
Are out bound call centers they are not the charity themselves
I asked once and only a small amount go to the organization.

I tell them "Thank you but I give directly to the organization
please remove my name from your list".

Old 09-04-2009, 11:13 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,031,992 times
I love it when people get pushy on the phone. Most of the time I just put the phone down and go back to whatever I was doing. Sooner or later they figure out I am not listening and hang up. Sometimes I am able to get a real call back number from them. I then call back at 2 am. Once in a while I just start rambling about something totaly unrelated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics