Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 PM

502 posts, read 2,296,028 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me what you do to help others in need? What organizations do you support or believe make valuable contributions (ie: World Vision, The Smile Train, The Komen Foundation, etc)? Also, do you do anything that get your children envolved?

I'm just looking for ideas on how I can help out. I always send money to various organizations but I would like to roll up my sleeves and feel more involved. Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 03:06 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Can you tell me what you do to help others in need? What organizations do you support or believe make valuable contributions (ie: World Vision, The Smile Train, The Komen Foundation, etc)? Also, do you do anything that get your children envolved?

I'm just looking for ideas on how I can help out. I always send money to various organizations but I would like to roll up my sleeves and feel more involved. Thanks in advance for your ideas!
I do support Catholic Charities and the local association of support churches in the area. This allows for greater reach to everyone in the community, region, and some overseas programs...

Old 03-07-2008, 03:33 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
It’s always good to help organizations and volunteer whenever possible. However you should do that with organizations, clubs, etc that you are familiar with and know first hand. You’ll benefit for doing that, and you won’t have any hard feelings about how they run their organization. It wouldn’t make sense to dislike the volunteer work at a group that you feel isn’t working properly. Do what you like best and do it often, good people are hard to find and you should be happy doing your work.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:55 PM

72,417 posts, read 18,203,422 times
Every year around May,I walk for the 24 hour Relay for Life sponsored by the ACS. I ask for donations and walk,of course only a few hours,This is at the Arcadia Race Track. At night you walk with the candles,it's called the luminarias.
I am also active with the Kiwanis.
Join organizations that you think it's meaningful for you. You will feel happy to to help the less fortunate.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:16 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
I drive a BMW for 30 to 40 miles to support the cancer society.. Did it today, a 740 http://bestsmileys.com/cars/3.gif (broken link)

Old 03-08-2008, 03:46 AM

18,124 posts, read 11,758,079 times
I used to support and walk for The March of Dimes to help prevent birth defects.
Another good organization is the Humane Society - Animal Advocate, more involved
with protection of wild animals as well as domestic pets.

Look up both websites for further information.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:19 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
PETA - Donate money & don't buy products that test on animals
Humane Society - Donate money
Donate money to firefighters
Clean my closets a couple times a year and donate clothing to the Salvation Army.
Donate toys for Toys for Tots
Donate canned goods for local food drives.

Here are some other good organizations - I have this info. on one of my web sites but I just copied it here.

Donorschoose.org - Helps supply pencils, reference books, and field trips to public schools in need. Purchase a gift certificate for any amount and it will be sent to the recipient, who then selects the project to donate to. God stars all around.
Markmakers.org - Geared towards kids, this web site makes donating fun. Choose a gift card from $10 and up and print it out or email it directly to a child, who can return to the site and allocate the money to a cause of his or her choice.
Mercycorps.org - Select from more than 20 "Mercy Kits": aid packages that support such causes as Hurricane Katrina relief and aid to African refugees. Your friend receives a card containing your message.
Habitat For Humanity - Make a $10 donation in your loved ones name and he or she will receive a greeting card detailing your gift

Old 03-08-2008, 08:08 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I try to attend the 24 hour "relay for life" each May...It is for cancer ..I walk it because my daughter is a cancer survivor....I light a candle along the walkway of survivors for my dad who was not a survivor..

Old 03-08-2008, 08:18 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,981 times
I always give to the Salvation Army - I don't think there is another organization that gives as much to the community as they.

I do a lot of volunteering for organizations that do work for the Pocono region primarily. I support Operation Touch of Home, which ships much needed items to our hometown's soldiers in Iraq & Afganistan. I support Pocono Wildlife Rehab, as an owner of a building company - I recognize what development of the Pocono's has done to the wildlife, and support the services which support all the deer, bear, eagles - etc. I prefer to support local charities, because I know that there are so many special people already helping out with cancer and aids walks, the united way and march of dimes, that I feel I can devote my support to my community.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:14 PM

167 posts, read 258,485 times
I have volunteered at our local homeless shelter. They offer a free meal everyday, which is prepared by volunteers from the local churches. We have a lot of fun. The kids also help. The food is preparded, served and cleaned up by the volunteers so there is plenty of work for everyone of all ages. We have walked for the past three years for the Strides Walk, which raises money for homeless families. This organization helps find housing, jobs, and education for the parents and offers stability for the children. Very worth while organization. I have also volunteered at a nursing home. Sometimes you just go and talk with the residents, and other times you may take them to bingo, or to church or for a walk outside. I have helped with puzzles and planting flowers. They also have a place to take the men fishing, which my son loves to do.
If your not sure you can always check with your local redcross, united way or even the YWCA or YMCA.

I hope you find what your looking for....I'm sure whatever you do will be rewarding to you and your children and the person/people receiving your time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics