Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,651,696 times

Advertisements

We all look for personality defects in people. Some are more obvious than others. If we're lucky, we spot them early on. Too often though, it takes months, even years, to see them. In that respect, maybe it's good that Twitter came along. Now, when you meet someone and discover they're on Twitter and see the stuff they write about, you can get a better idea of the kind of person they are. I know there's debate over whether things like Facebook and Twitter encourage narcissism. You hear all these stories about people who waste hours a day updating their status, changing their profile photos, and telling their followers what they had for dinner or how they're feeling at any given moment. Personally, I think these people who are the extremes were probably narcissists to begin with and these tools just made it obvious. But you have to wonder about people who spend a lot of time on there constantly talking about themselves. It feels like everyone wants to be a celeb and Twitter is their own personal newsletter. I believe in keeping an open mind about people and not jumping to conclusions, but when I see these people, it's hard not to wonder if they're like this in real life. Will they constantly want to be the center of attention? How will they react if they don't get enough attention? Will they expect me to be interested in every little thing happening in their lives? Will they even communicate in 140 character soundbites? I had one friend recently, when I asked her if anything new was happening in her life, she directed me to her blog. Is this how people communicate now? Instead of telling you what's going on in their life, they make you go to their blog or read their Twitter feed? How sad that I'm made to feel like a subscriber to my own friend's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:15 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,366,591 times
No, but I do view heavy CD forum uses as a huge red flag!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:24 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,067,796 times
I can't imagine someone "directing" me to their site in response to me inquiring after them. That's a bit odd, and yes I'd wonder about them.

However, even though I don't use Twitter, I make no judgements about those who do. I work with tons of geeks, many of them use it, and as far as I'm concerned it's just the latest gadget, that's all. No big deal.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I can't imagine someone "directing" me to their site in response to me inquiring after them. That's a bit odd, and yes I'd wonder about them.

However, even though I don't use Twitter, I make no judgements about those who do. I work with tons of geeks, many of them use it, and as far as I'm concerned it's just the latest gadget, that's all. No big deal.
It's not the fact that they use it. It's HOW they use it. If you're using it to network, quickly send links to all your friends, or tell everyone you know that you just landed a new job, that's fine. But if you're wasting hours a day cataloging every little detail of your day, then that says a lot about you. Before Twitter, I never thought to email all my friends every time I was feeling tired or feeling great. But I see a lot of people who use Facebook and Twitter for precisely this purpose. Like all tools, it comes down to how you use it.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,693,022 times
I'm not using twitter. Facebook is fine.

I find it funny the people that use Facebook Mobile and send updates from their mobile phone. LOL! Stuff like "I'm traveling down I-76 and I just ate at McDonalds". I don't give a fug! LOL!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,937,821 times
Couldn't agree more Denny.

IMO, Twittter is another excuse for people to act like they're busy on their cell phones. You know the ones, they walk the mall with their phone to their ear, but never say a word, they want to look busy (read: important) and they don't have time to be polite 'cuz they're just too busy.

People that need to let everyone know what they had for lunch... when they woke up.... when they sneezed... Oh... look... I blinked. Did it again! And again! I'm on a roll! Oh... now I'm breathing out my nose and not my mouth!

I'd rather not know. I really don't care to know these kinds of things and I really have more to do in my life than to log on to the internet to find out when you went to the bathroom. No... really.

There's people that use FB for the same thing. I've learned to delete them.

And if someone were identifying themselves by a website... well, I think the "inventions" of some things hinders basic human communications.

Just my 2 pennies.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:26 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,693,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post

There's people that use FB for the same thing. I've learned to delete them.
I usually cull a few people a year and I'm getting to the point it's time to eliminate a few that keep clogging up my news page with incessant updates.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,058,973 times
I don't really know what a Twitter is - but it sounds like something sexual. At any rate, I wish I had some kind of a site that I could updat every time I took a dump - now, that would be cool! There used to be a site called Mr. Poop dot com (don't ask me how I found it!) where people would post up pics of their uh, business.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
And if someone were identifying themselves by a website... well, I think the "inventions" of some things hinders basic human communications.
I agree. When my friend directed me to her blog, I was a little annoyed. It was if she was saying, "I don't really feel like telling you so just go read about it here." I find that rather lazy, but that seems to the "convenience" Facebook and Twitter offer. Now you don't have to make the effort to actually have a conversation with someone. You can just post it somewhere and let them go read it. How sad. Makes me wonder what kind of friendship I have with this person.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:49 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,937,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I agree. When my friend directed me to her blog, I was a little annoyed. It was if she was saying, "I don't really feel like telling you so just go read about it here." I find that rather lazy, but that seems to the "convenience" Facebook and Twitter offer. Now you don't have to make the effort to actually have a conversation with someone. You can just post it somewhere and let them go read it. How sad. Makes me wonder what kind of friendship I have with this person.

I was gonna reply, but I'll just blog about it and send ya the link later!

LOL

I know, I know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics