Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:22 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,243,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What I gather from Twitter is that you can set up a micro-blog and make posts up to 140 characters at a time. People subscribe to your micro-blog (the networking part) and get text messages of your entry every time you make a new post. So you need to be into the texting culture to be into Twitter (I think) and I don't usually even have an active cell phone with me in my daily travels.

I think that I remember some sort of international situation last year, maybe someone was taken hostage or something like that, and they were able to Twitter for help. Just one post asking for help and it went out to everyone on their social network, and it got the ball rolling to get the authorities in on the situation.
you don't have to have it send texts to you every time someone posts, that's just an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 06:33 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,910,618 times
Default Do You View Heavy Twitter Use As A Red Flag?

I'd view ANY Twitter use as a a red flag!

Old 04-25-2009, 06:36 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'd view ANY Twitter use as a a red flag!
i have one, but honestly it's mostly to keep up with news... for instance, i have the Tribune and CNN on mine, and one of the news channels where my family lives. Oh, and the Onion.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:52 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,910,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
i have one, but honestly it's mostly to keep up with news... for instance, i have the Tribune and CNN on mine, and one of the news channels where my family lives. Oh, and the Onion.
Fair enough. I mean I can see that it would have its uses for some people, but I must confess the plethora of "keeping in touch" applications out there are already far too much for my simple world.

I barely use my mobile phone, constantly let the answering machine pick up calls to the house, forget to even log in to facebook and struggle to keep up with email, IM, forum dm's and the like. I'm not a big watcher of news and I'm not into celebrity watching. That people can now get an update on where Ashton Kutcher is today and what he's doing is completely lost on me. I actually find it astounding that people even care to be honest.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:25 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
A good friend of mine is a weather channel freak. Now she gets constant weather updates on her blackberry. And she is so happy.
Different strokes.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:02 AM

27,368 posts, read 27,418,399 times
Twitter? Hmm, sounds like some type of bird-watching community when I hear that word.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:18 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,063,131 times
So, it's like a mass mailing tex message then??? What's the point of that?! I could see it now - in my hands, Twitter abuse would be prevalent - my mass Twitter message would probably be something like this: "7:45AM - took dump - stools formed very nicely, not too loose, no constipation. Used approximately 30 sheets of TP, single flush. ETA of next movement 10:00AM. Stay tuned for more updates."

Old 04-25-2009, 10:24 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,653,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Fair enough. I mean I can see that it would have its uses for some people, but I must confess the plethora of "keeping in touch" applications out there are already far too much for my simple world.

I barely use my mobile phone, constantly let the answering machine pick up calls to the house, forget to even log in to facebook and struggle to keep up with email, IM, forum dm's and the like. I'm not a big watcher of news and I'm not into celebrity watching. That people can now get an update on where Ashton Kutcher is today and what he's doing is completely lost on me. I actually find it astounding that people even care to be honest.
A lot of people love Facebook because it lets them reconnect with people they went to school with. What's funny is that Classmates lets them do the same thing and yet it never caught on the way Facebook has.

As for Ashton Kutcher, who are all these people who care what he's up to? I can't stand the guy or his movies. And it says a lot about him that he's celebrating how many followers he has. He's the worst kind of celebrity, the kind who just wants to be famous.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:16 AM

56 posts, read 244,822 times
I do not use twitter. Infact I do not what purpose to use it for. There is this 2 salesmen in my office who talks about twitter the whole day. Day by day they dont even work but just keep talking about twitter and keep on messaging in tweet. They received warnings from their manager that they are wasting their time on twitter. In my opinion twitter really sucks. I dont even know what is great use of it. Have a look at http://www.istwittercrap.com and see how many people are confused about using twitter. It is just one more buzz word in the world. I have so many things to do in the world than crapping out 140 character messages on twitter.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:22 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,125,177 times
I wouldn't consider heavy Twitter, MySpace or Facebook a bad thing. The red flag is being directed to one of those sources as a way to get to know someone. A person should still be able to have a conversation about their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics