Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 AM

8,994 posts, read 14,867,054 times

Advertisements

I am trying to be proactive about my future career and it seems I am hitting roadblocks at every single turn when it comes to my college.

I wish I had known what field I wanted to go into that way I could have attended a college that would have been more supportive.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,147,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I am trying to be proactive about my future career and it seems I am hitting roadblocks at every single turn when it comes to my college.

I wish I had known what field I wanted to go into that way I could have attended a college that would have been more supportive.

Sorry to hear that you are having this frustration with your school. You are not alone in that a large majority of students enter college not knowing exactly what they want to do with their lives. What type of roadblocks are you facing at your college?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:13 PM

3,970 posts, read 8,570,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Went to work the other night and found a new patient in one of my rooms at this rehab/LT care facility. A 22 YO woman so morbidly obese she can't stand, walk to the bathroom, can't even recline flat in bed, sits there like a bhudda, too fat for them to even do a Cat-scan on her.

She's not the first I've seen like this.

Holy Cow! Where else, but in this great country, can you eat, eat, eat,
fill up like a baloon, become ineligible to work, and Medicaid comes along like a big giant parachute and blesses you for your self-destructive behavior!

And, on top of that, she's very demanding!

Please! I refuse to divulge the thoughts that come to my head everytime I walk in that room to answer her call lite. You'd have me arrested!
So sorry for your situation, but more sorry for those in your care. While I don't know all the details in this case, I do know of a situation with an acquaintance of mine who actually ate very little (compared to most people) and still grew to nearly 400 lb due to a genetic medical condition. I wish the economy were better so you could go look for a different career, because if those thoughts you describe come to mind when called to help, I'm afraid you are in the wrong profession.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:30 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,107,321 times
I also have seen and know of some people who (threw no fault of their own) continue to gain weight. It’s sad, and I’m sorry that they have health issues of this type. If they had a choice simply nobody wants to live like that I’m sure. My heart goes out to them.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 PM

23,545 posts, read 29,512,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
So sorry for your situation, but more sorry for those in your care. While I don't know all the details in this case, I do know of a situation with an acquaintance of mine who actually ate very little (compared to most people) and still grew to nearly 400 lb due to a genetic medical condition. I wish the economy were better so you could go look for a different career, because if those thoughts you describe come to mind when called to help, I'm afraid you are in the wrong profession.
If you could hear the comments/derisive laughter from the calloused Nursing staff in the break room concerning any number of patients there, you'd be saying that to the majority of the workers there, if not all. It's the only way to survive there: develop a thick callous.

The pain fakers are another class of people, those forever craving pain medication, whether they need it or not. After awhile, you don't know anymore who truly needs it and those that have become addicted to it.

The Nurses in my facility, at nite, handle 40 patients, the aides 20-25.

Yes, this woman could also have been sexually abused as a child.

No apologies.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:34 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,107,321 times
Today's temperature again in the 110,,, HOT summer time is here.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,224,996 times
Quote:
If you could hear the comments/derisive laughter from the calloused Nursing staff in the break room concerning any number of patients there, you'd be saying that to the majority of the workers there, if not all. It's the only way to survive there: develop a thick callous.

The pain fakers are another class of people, those forever craving pain medication, whether they need it or not. After awhile, you don't know anymore who truly needs it and those that have become addicted to it.

The Nurses in my facility, at nite, handle 40 patients, the aides 20-25.

Yes, this woman could also have been sexually abused as a child.

No apologies.
You know, all I can say is that all these calloused nurses will be in those patients' shoes one day too. Hopefully, the callouses won't be as hard for them and there will still be some kind, understanding soul to help.

Most patients are scared. Nobody likes to have needles, catheters and tubes shoved into their bodies. Some patients are alone. They DEPEND on good, caring nurses, aids, transporters, physicians, etc.

What a shame that humanity has to sink so low to survive. Just like in the jungle. Survival of the fittest.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:42 PM

23,545 posts, read 29,512,096 times
60% of the nursing staff I work at are legal immigrants from Asia. And do you really think they go thru all the effort to come here to be the caring, nurturing nurses? They're here for one reason only: the money, the money!

Every spare minute is spent on their I-pods, charting, socializing, some even have blue-tooths while caring for patients and delivering meds.

And it's not just the legal immigrants who are guilty of this.

Yes, I truly believe in karma. One day they'll be patients as well, and suffer for the consequences.

Our current DON banned Television in the breakroom. LOL! And not the IPODs and cellphones?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,224,996 times
Quote:
60% of the nursing staff I work at are legal immigrants from Asia. And do you really think they go thru all the effort to come here to be the caring, nurturing nurses? They're here for one reason only: the money, the money!

Every spare minute is spent on their I-pods, charting, socializing, some even have blue-tooths while caring for patients and delivering meds.

And it's not just the legal immigrants who are guilty of this.

Yes, I truly believe in karma. One day they'll be patients as well, and suffer for the consequences.

Our current DON banned Television in the breakroom. LOL! And not the IPODs and cellphones?
I was going to say, your place of work has really chitty administration. Just wait until that hospital gets sued. Are you guys Joint Commission certified?

There is a terrible nursing shortage and so many, many nurses are foreigners, especially Phillipino. I hope that all the new nursing students, who are going into nursing also only for the money and job security, burn out really quickly.

There are some professions you should just go into because that's what you love to do. Money is not a good enough reason because it will come back to bite you in the butt.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,867,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Sorry to hear that you are having this frustration with your school. You are not alone in that a large majority of students enter college not knowing exactly what they want to do with their lives. What type of roadblocks are you facing at your college?
Thanks Chatteress.

I am interested in interning with different departments at my campus. I don't have a HUGE preference. It can be campus life, housing, admissions, or advising.

WELL the woman I spoke with today was worried about the cost to the university when I am not even interested in being paid. I just want to get some sort of experience in the student services field.

Another college in the state has a whole program devoted to helping undergraduate students learn about the student service field/higher education field. They set you up with a mentor and everything. They pay for you to attend different conferences in the region and prepare you for graduate school.

I am hoping I will have more luck in my senior year once I get to know more people on campus.

I am not completely discouraged, I just have to change my plans a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics