Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 10:04 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,466,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Try SOLDIERSANGELS.COM. Fantastic group of people.
What they are doing in Staten Island N.Y

YouTube - NUTS Follow-Up Staten Island Project Homefront
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 10:25 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,384,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
you should watch this and pass it on
if you have friends and loved ones in the service as i do
you might want to keep the tissue box handy
www.youtube.com/v/ervaMPt4Ha0&autoplay
Wow, what a powerful clip. It really puts things into prospective. We live our daily lives as usual.......yeah, we remember but there are days that you forget about the war and the brave men and women fighting for us. We should take time and watch this clip frequently.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:49 AM

3,321 posts, read 9,201,928 times
There is also STILL the USO. It's been there for our military for 66 years now. Has an EXCELLENT track record.

AT&T Military Headquarters | Plans & Services
We can all help our troops stay in touch with their families by buying them phone cards. Just be sure to buy phone cards through the Army Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES). These are the only cards designed to work from the seventy AT&T phone centers built throughout Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom (OIF/OEF), so our soldiers have easy access.

AT&T has joined in a charitable program to collect and recycle used cell phones, with all of the proceeds going to provide prepaid phone cards to our service people stationed overseas. Launched this Memorial Day in New York City, the program is expanding: by the Fourth of July, people in over a thousand cities nationwide will be able to participate, at all 1,800 AT&T Wireless stores.

AmericaSupportsYou.mil is a great way to learn about other opportunities to help (http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/americasupportsyou/help.html - broken link).
A grassroots campaign to help the troops with sheets and bedding: Charge of the Sheets Brigade (broken link).

There is also the Red Cross, you can help by donating blood or money. Liz

Old 06-23-2007, 12:51 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,793,576 times
Thumbs up Good timing Brian

What with the 4th of July coming upon us in the next couple of weeks and many of us celebrating our independence here in the USA, there is no better time to remember that our independence came because of those that serve our country and have paid a great price so that we can live with all the freedoms and liberties that many seem to take for granted here .

Hey and Brian, I watched both of these You Tube clips this morning and they were both tear jerkers . Thanks for being so faithful to our military and reviving this thread to bring the attention back to troops needing encouragement and hugs from family, friends and concerned strangers .

Brian, I pray for your and your family, that you are blessed and healthy, and that you continue to shine a light on our troops till they are all back home safe and sound .

May God bless you in your Real Estate work also!

Hugs,

~HDL~

Quote:
Quote:
What they are doing in Staten Island N.Y

YouTube - NUTS Follow-Up Staten Island Project Homefront

Last edited by HDL; 06-23-2007 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
What with the 4th of July coming upon us in the next couple of weeks and many of us celebrating our independence here in the USA, there is no better time to remember that our independence came because of those that serve our country and have paid a great price so that we can live with all the freedoms and liberties that many seem to take for granted here .

Hey and Brian, I watched both of these You Tube clips this morning and they were both tear jerkers . Thanks for being so faithful to our military and reviving this thread to bring the attention back to troops needing encouragement and hugs from family, friends and concerned strangers .

Brian, I pray for your and your family, that you are blessed and healthy, and that you continue to shine a light on our troops till they are all back home safe and sound .

May God bless you in your Real Estate work also!

Hugs,

~HDL~
Thanks for the hugs HDL
I am just counting the days to my sons graduation from navy boot camp
July 20th ...I just finished a letter to him and let him know we are trying to put together the trip . My oldest boy is coming up here from Va a couple of days before and then we will all fly out to the great lakes together(me,wife,oldest and middle son) We are trying to find affordable flights right now , if we can't then we will just have to drive.

His instructors found out he was on the Rahway high school Mcjrotc drill team so they put him in charge of putting together and training a drill team for the 3 graduation ceremonys that day . I mailed him some tapes of the Rahway drill team to help him out

Thanks again for keeping all our boys in your prayers
and i will try to keep you up on his progress and try to post you a picture from the graduation

Old 06-27-2007, 02:39 PM

284 posts, read 1,682,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Try SOLDIERSANGELS.COM. Fantastic group of people.

I agree! We joined last year, and it has been a wonderful experience. They also have many, many links to other legitimate organizations that help the soldiers, their families, the wounded, the children, etc. There really are many wonderful opportunities for Americans to express our support and gratitude to the brave men and women serving our country. One thing that I like about Soldiers Angels is that they have an excellent communication system, so everyone knows when soldiers are coming home (so they can be greeted with fanfare at the airports), if a VA has a particular request, if a soldier has an emergency at home, etc. They don't pressure anyone; they just get the word out in case anyone can help.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:59 AM

Before you all start heading out to your BBq's
please take a moment to say a prayer for all our boys and girls
that have and are serving in our armed forces
may they all get home safe...

YouTube - Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud

Old 07-04-2007, 05:58 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,296,434 times
My husbands nephew has been in Iraq for about a month now,he will get a break in January.I know everytime I see the headlines of troops being killed I just pray he's ok.The nice thing is we are able to talk to him on yahoo.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:38 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,369,731 times
I'll be flying Old Glory very proudly today, like every day in honor of each and every one of our fine Men and Women of the Armed Forces.

Brian ... How is the young Marine doing?

Old 07-04-2007, 10:27 AM

284 posts, read 1,682,608 times
There are many sites that have free e-cards that you can send to soldiers. Some of my favorites are American Greetings, Blue Mountain, Dayspring, and Hallmark. It is so wonderful to be able to communicate by e-mail with the soldiers, and the e-cards are a nice way to make sure they hear from us today!

Happy 4th of July everyone, and may God bless and protect our country, our soldiers and their loved ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics